Water Pumps For N00bs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was pulling up to the house last night and noticed a greasy spot on the street right below where my engine compartment sits where I park. Got out and looked for leaks. I saw right away that the coolant reservoir was on the low side. Made a note of that, then also noticed that the center of the 18" diameter stain on the ground was directly below the oil filter which was just changed two weeks ago at a local shop. Hoping it was just a loose filter I returned to the shop where the oil change was done and had them check it. They told me the water pump is leaking. I have an auxiliary instrument gauge to monitor various things and I know the coolant temp has stayed within a few degrees of 196F, so at least I'm not just relying on the dashboard idiot lights for signs of imminent doom.

Questions:

1) Is this something I can do myself in the driveway?
2) Will I save any significant amount of money doing it myself?
3) Am I just asking to have a moderate reaming turn into a full-blown goat-screw by attempting this on my own?

I am quite mechanically inclined (HVAC certified, former Navy Machinist Mate, etc.) but woefully inexperienced when it comes to motor vehicles. Beyond lights, fluids, and filters I just haven't had a chance to do much. Of course, if I spend the rest of my life just taking it to the shop every time I have a problem I will stay that way. Is this a reasonable project for someone looking to take a step up? I'd like to learn, but not the hard way... ;)

Thanks! :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember right you don't have the tow package so no mechanical fan in the way.
With that everything is fairly easy to get to, I think you can do it, pretty easy just take your time, I'm sure there are some vids out there somewhere as well, pick a good one. Make sure you put the bolts back in the same spot. Easy way is a chuck of cardboard and make a diagram of where they go .
But you can do it ! Got faith in ya buddy!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the videos and the encouragement. I watched another video (with some really weird music) and it was the exact same procedure, which made me feel better about both. :)

All from NAPA, which would you recommend:

Water Pump

Water Pump - Remfd

Water Pump - New

They're about the same price. I'm going to get the new one unless there is a reason the remanufactured one is somehow better.

Thermostats

Thermostat -190F

Thermostat - 195F

I'm guessing the 195F is closer to stock, since that's where my Garmin Mechanic gauge sits most of the time. Most things I saw recommended doing the thermostat while you're at it, so why not? It fits with my desire to replace as much of the rinky-dink stuff like that as I can so I know what I've got in there and when it was last serviced.

HOAT Coolant

Antifreeze - GO5 Ford/DC

I plan on getting three gallons. If my manual is right, the capacity is 14 Quarts (3.5 Gallons) but it should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. That would give me about a gallon as a spare. Is this correct?

I had the system flushed and filled at Lube Stop shortly after I bought it in May of 2013. I asked the guy about HOAT and he said what he had was compatible with ALL major manufacturers. I must admit that I had some reservations but I let him talk me into it. Do you think this could have hastened the problem if he was just blowing smoke?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read on here to stick with Mopar thermostats. Can't recall where right now. And yes that guy was yanking your chain. Pulling your leg. And billowing smoke like a 1989 buick. If it's not HOAT it's not compatible...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
PS: This is a minor leak - right now. If I keep an eye on the gauge and stop should the temp rise, is it safe to drive this on very short trips for now?

I have read on here to stick with Mopar thermostats. Can't recall where right now.
Know where I can pick one up in a hurry? If I'm lucky (hey - when does THAT happen...) I might do this tomorrow.

And yes that guy was yanking your chain. Pulling your leg. And billowing smoke like a 1989 buick. If it's not HOAT it's not compatible...
The stuff that was in there when I bought it was clumpy and nasty looking. I'm guessing the previous owner topped it off with whatever was on sale. I rationalized it away by telling myself that at least there would only be ONE kind of coolant in there and planned to redo it within a year anyway. Of course, my current money situation has postponed that somewhat...

One reason I'd like to do this myself is that I don't trust anybody but the dealer to use the right stuff. (And I'm not too sure about them, either.) I really can't afford to have the dealer do both the water pump and the flush, but at least this way I will know for sure what I have in there. I plan on following this procedure for the refill:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/i-broke-my-radiator-can-fixed-57473/#post649876

(And yes, I know there is some debate on the subject. My choices are limited and this looks like a good plan. When compromises have to be made, well...) ;)

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: This is a minor leak - right now. If I keep an eye on the gauge and stop should the temp rise, is it safe to drive this on very short trips for now?

Yes you can. Right now a minor leak is only a minor problem. But it will only get worse, so I would carry a jug of coolant with me and check the level after each jaunt and top it off as needed.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I would opt for the new water pump, that one is manufactured by Gates.
Remember, no sealant goop on the "gasket", the o-ring is the seal.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can. Right now a minor leak is only a minor problem. But it will only get worse, so I would carry a jug of coolant with me and check the level after each jaunt and top it off as needed.
I'm glad to hear that. It might take me a couple days to get the parts together and it is cold! My first thought was to run out to NAPA and just get it done. I'm thinking of trying to track down a Mopar thermostat.

I kinda feel bad. I always use their videos but never buy parts from them...
I feel the same way. :icon_lol:

I'm actually going to see if they have all the stuff I need, what their prices are like, and how fast they ship it. If it's going to take me a few days to get all the stuff I need together anyway, I might as well.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go new and be true, prof! You can do this!...find a buddy with a warm garage and offer adult beverages and food in exchange...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I got all the stuff. Had to go with a non-Mopar thermostat but the rest looks good. Sprayed the water pump bolts down with penetrating oil so it hopefully seeps in deep overnight. Double-checked that I had all the sockets, etc., I will need, but kind of wish I had splurged on that big breaker bar just in case.

The new water pump sure looks pretty.

It was in the 20s today and will be even colder Sunday. Tomorrow it's supposed to get into the 40s so I'm shooting for that. I hope I don't run into trouble because the bottom falls out late tomorrow afternoon and the temperature will drop to single digits overnight. :icon_lol:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
51657[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I highly only recommend a Mopar thermostat. If the one you bought does not have an air bleed hole in it, you can drill a 3/16 one in along the top edge, install it in 12 o'clock position.
In photo above the brass circle is the bleed hole cover that opens under coolant flow.
I think the thread you read before was this one..?
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/thermostat-specifications-jeep-liberty-kj-3-7-a-56107/
Sometimes the shorter handle ratchets are not long enough.
I have one that is extendable, and often no need for a breaker bar.
51659[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ExtendableRatchet_zps8a517160.jpg
    ExtendableRatchet_zps8a517160.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/16" is way too big for a bleed hole. Keep in mind the brass floater plug shown in the stat above restricts the hole opening. You'd want 1/16" for an (unrestricted) bleed hole.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions here, Prof. Only thing I'll add is to observe the orientation of the old 'stat when you take it out and be sure to install the new one the same way. Easy to put it in backwards which makes it shut when it should open and open when it should stay closed.

Ask me how I know... :emotions34:

Bob

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For extra leverage, I use one of the pieces of the the two-piece handle for my floor jack which fits easily over a socket wrench....

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone is around, I'm running late but almost done. Is it safe to leave the radiator cap off to add coolant or is that a no-no?

A quick answer would be great because I'm hoping to fire this thing up soon. :)

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill radiator with engine cold until you see coolant in radiator neck...then close radiator cap...run engine until operating temp...shut off...let coolant cycle back into overflow bottle (if any)...when engine cool again...add coolant to overflow bottle...run up to operating temp again and bleed your air off at the top hose....let run up to operating temp a third time and add coolant to overflow bottle as needed after engine shut-off and cooldown....

Members online

No members online now.