Water Pumps For N00bs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw your post earlier but was too grimy to get back on the computer.

Problems: The lower hose does not get hot at all, the heat never comes on in the cabin, the engine gets hotter than it should, and after all that it has developed a leak in the drain plug.

The water pump works great. And yes, I installed the thermostat the right way around. I even made a trip to get the Mopar one since I didn't want problems.

It has been a long day and I am about frozen. I'll look at it again tomorrow. :(

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the new Tstat isn't opening. If the old one was okay just swap it back in and see. Could be air still in there but I'd suspect the new tstat since I never had trouble burping mine. They often sell replacement petcocks in the "Help" section of many autoparts stores (pepboys, autozone etc). I bought a spare from RockAuto. The Oring can get messed up.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
How do I get the old one out? Just keep cranking? Any advice for the replacement process? Youtube showed nothing... :emotions34:

It didn't leak when I first added coolant after buttoning everything else up. It was very cold by then and I'm pretty sure the new thermostat I went out of my way to buy was a dud. I removed it and reinstalled the old one and am absolutely certain I put it in right, especially after double-checking when I swapped it out just now.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with either air or the t-stat isn't working...the 2007 doesn't have the air bleed on the top radiator hose?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I bled that sucker like I was Dracula. Got plenty of bubbling. Lower hose never got hot at all. Until I figure out what to do with the draincock I can't really go any further and there is precious little information about that issue that I have been able to find. Morris 4x4 has a part which might work, but it doesn't really look like what's on there now and the fitment listing is ambiguous.

Item #4: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cooling-system-parts/wrangler-jk.htm

Cross-referencing the part number, in another section they claim that it fits ALL Liberty's, then in another area it says KK's only. Here it says up to 2005.

Can the daggone thing be completely removed? It wouldn't surprise me if it's just the O-Ring like ltd02 mentioned. I just don't want to muscle the thing clear out and end up buying a new radiator... :blah:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main suspect has got to be the O-ring...have you got anything to just cap the petcock for now ?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I get the old one out? Just keep cranking? Any advice for the replacement process? Youtube showed nothing... :emotions34:

Okay I took some picts of the replacement I have. I haven't actually changed mine but did change my rad a while back and still have the old one in the yard. I can double check this tomorrow without fear of destroying my old one. It's about 10 degrees and windy as all getout right now near Frederick MD. Anyway it looks like you have to release/loosen until it stops and then pull out and move/rotate back as if you are tightening it. It may take some force but I wouldn't overdo it. This is an educated guess at best. Like I said I'll get a look at an old one tomorrow morning (Holiday). Not sure how the picts will be, new phone :emotions34:.

Attachments

• IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morris 4x4 has a part which might work, but it doesn't really look like what's on there now and the fitment listing is ambiguous.

Item #4: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cooling-system-parts/wrangler-jk.htm

Cross-referencing the part number, in another section they claim that it fits ALL Liberty's, then in another area it says KK's only. Here it says up to 2005.

Can the daggone thing be completely removed? It wouldn't surprise me if it's just the O-Ring like ltd02 mentioned. I just don't want to muscle the thing clear out and end up buying a new radiator... :blah:

The replacement may not look identical on the outside. I've seen them with all different ends. Some accept a petcock wrench others take a 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet end. This one takes your finger. Its flat. Looks like the same part number I had so not positive it will fit the 07. Looks pretty general for Chrysler that's for sure so it's a good chance it will work for a relatively small price. Another option is to drain again and maybe flush out some foreign material in the vicinity of the O ring causing the leak or lack of seal. My guess is the O ring is failing.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The main suspect has got to be the O-ring...have you got anything to just cap the petcock for now ?
I can't think of anything, though at one point I contemplated shoving some well-chewed Bazooka Joe in there. Must have been breathing too many engine fumes.

...I can double check this tomorrow without fear of destroying my old one. It's about 10 degrees and windy as all getout right now near Frederick MD...
C'mon, don't be a candy-ass - get out there and do it! :happy175:

I completely understand. I've been in the same crap for two days now and may not thaw out until June. They say the days of the shade tree mechanic are gone, but as long as I'm alive (place your bets) the days of the ice field mechanic will live on.

Anyway it looks like you have to release/loosen until it stops and then pull out and move/rotate back as if you are tightening it. It may take some force but I wouldn't overdo it...
It's that fine line between "some force" and "wouldn't overdo it" that bothers me. I'm afraid I'll find out how much is too much by hearing a cracking noise.

The replacement may not look identical on the outside. I've seen them with all different ends. Some accept a petcock wrench others take a 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet end. This one takes your finger. Its flat. Looks like the same part number I had so not positive it will fit the 07. Looks pretty general for Chrysler that's for sure so it's a good chance it will work for a relatively small price...
If I was sure on how to get the old one out I would definitely try it.

...Another option is to drain again and maybe flush out some foreign material in the vicinity of the O ring causing the leak or lack of seal. My guess is the O ring is failing.
I tried opening and closing it a dozen times to shake loose any debris stuck in there. No dice.

I really appreciate the advice! :favorites13:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No heat means air still in the system,not a t-stat issue since the heater core is not part of the system the t-stat blocks flow to.

How did you fill the system? If you did not use the bleed hole,use it to full the engine.If it's stripped then take the upper hose off the radiator side and fill that way.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
No heat means air still in the system,not a t-stat issue since the heater core is not part of the system the t-stat blocks flow to.

How did you fill the system? If you did not use the bleed hole,use it to full the engine.If it's stripped then take the upper hose off the radiator side and fill that way.
I will try that as soon as I can figure out what to do about the draincock. Thanks! :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the petcock.......................

Never ever use those to drain a system unless your replacing the radiator.They never seal right again.Just pull the lower hose off,faster way to drain the radiator anyways.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Never ever use those to drain a system unless your replacing the radiator.They never seal right again.Just pull the lower hose off,faster way to drain the radiator anyways.

Guess I've been lucky for 30 years. Lower hose is definitely faster but only if I'm outside and hate the free range neighborhood animals :happy175:

You are right on about the air in there being the likely issue. Mine usually fills without the bleed method. :shrug:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

As I seem to have discovered. So what can be done about it now that it's leaking?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As I seem to have discovered. So what can be done about it now that it's leaking?

Whats that stuff you spray on and will seal any water leak? They advertise it on late night TV. Anyways just coat it good with that crap! :shrug::happy175:
If I remember right on that old one of mine there was a o-ring on it, or think there was. I tore it up just to look inside where they always leak at

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats that stuff you spray on and will seal any water leak? They advertise it on late night TV. Anyways just coat it good with that crap!...
Maybe my next stop should be a plumbing supply house.

I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good.

If I remember right on that old one of mine there was a o-ring on it, or think there was. I tore it up just to look inside where they always leak at
Any suggestions for taking it apart without tearing it up? ;)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 degrees now but I am tempted to freeze my ass off just to find out! Garage isn't heated either and wife would kill me if I brought it inside. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 3. And to think I was an avid ice fisherman a few years back. I think candyass summed it up well. The picts I sent seem to show a pretty beefy O ring.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I was kidding. A better description would be "has common sense". Like I said, I've been out there for long enough the last two days to not ask that of anyone. :)

Does anyone else know for a fact how to get the old one out?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All right, I couldn't take it. Neighbors will think I'm nuts (more nuts anyway). It was just like I thought. Open it all the way CCW until it stops. Apply light pressure out and rotate it back CW slowly with light pressure out and it popped right out. I had it lying flat. I used a set of pliers cause I lost feeling in my fingers but not much pressure was required. Should have taken a video but petcock looks identical to the replacement you were looking at and I posted picts of.

I see the dilemma with id-ing the proper replacement petcock. If you are worried about the "Help" or Dorman fitting, you could just remove yours to check the O ring. If O ring is trashed just replace it and reuse plug. Seems to be a standard O ring. If you have one of those assortment packs (I always keep some around) I would think there should be a compatible size in there.

BTW I have no common sense.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
All right, I couldn't take it. Neighbors will think I'm nuts (more nuts anyway). It was just like I thought. Open it all the way CCW until it stops. Apply light pressure out and rotate it back CW slowly with light pressure out and it popped right out. I had it lying flat. I used a set of pliers cause I lost feeling in my fingers but not much pressure was required. Should have taken a video but petcock looks identical to the replacement you were looking at and I posted picts of.
If you were a girl I would drive up there and kiss you. Even if you were an UGLY girl.

I'm going to dive in again tomorrow and if I can get that drip fixed I will never touch that thing again. It's hoses for draining from here on out.

I hope I'm in a dancing mood tomorrow. :D