Wow...how come I discovered this forum so late?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashbinder

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm Mike and I just thought I'd introduce myself and share my thoughts on the Liberty. I can't believe I didn't discover the forums earlier; I only happened to stumble across them recently. I'm purchasing a VW and noticed that they had such a strong online community and I wondered "Is there a good, friendly Jeep Liberty forum?" Lo and behold, after poking around and reading some threads here, I liked the helpful atmosphere of this forum and have decided to join. :D

I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty Ltd. in 2003, 1 year used from a dealer friend, with about 25K km's on it. Loaded to the gills, off-road pack, etc. - only option missing was the side-air bags. Before this, I had compared the Escape, etc. and found that this SUV far surpassed them all - I was impressed with the interior build quality (real alum trim, metal interior door handles, metal door lock posts, chrome ringed instrumentation) and the relatively advanced features for its time (steering wheel controls, great sound system, Selec-Trac, dual setting seat heaters, etc.). After 4 years of ownership and another 40K on it, I have to say, I'm super happy with my Jeep and will be thankful if my new VW is even half as reliable as it has been.

Beyond the basic oil changes, fluid changes, and ball joint recalls (twice!) I haven't had any issues. Never taken more than once to start. Never left me stuck, especially with a set of X-Ice on them (a must in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada). Don't get me wrong - I wish had some of the newer features now available: Stability control, bluetooth, std. side airbags, std. 17" tires on Ltd., etc. but all in all, this is one SUV I don't regret getting. I plan to drive it until it falls apart...knock on wood, I hope that's not for a very long time. :) One negative thing is that I never got the longer warranty - my Jeep only had the old 3 year warranty, even though the switch to 5 year was retroactive, mine didn't qualify....

Anyways, I do have a few questions though:

1) What's this whole debate between the 45RLE vs. RFE transmissions? Is one really any better?
2) Any opinions on when I should do a major service? Such as flush radiator, drain brake fluid, ATF, differentials, etc? I've had a pretty good tune up around 40K, but the guys at my last oil change said my diff fluid was "getting" dirty, as with my brake fluid. Not sure if that's just BS. I'm at 70K km's now.
3) Anyone have the PDF service manual for the 02 available?

Thanks for any advice!

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!! Yea, were like alittle family here. We can also be like brothers and sisters that like to fight.. So watch out. lol :)

The 45rfe is the ****** thats used behind the hemi and bigger engines. It was really HD for the libby so they started using the 42rle which also seems to be a good ******. The 42rle is also used in the wrangler Rubicon. I would say one of the reasons they switched was b/c of the demand of the 45rfe..

The radiator fluid should be good for 100k.. Wouldnt hurt to change it out at 60k though.

Brake fluid should be fine till 100k..

The owners manual states the diffs should be changed every 12k. It doesnt call for the tcase and ****** till 60k, but I believe 30k is a good time to change those.

It really depends on how you use your Jeep.. If you tow with it, offroad, or use it in any other way than just driving to work or the soccer field, its always best to keep up on the service and maybe change oils earlier than they are called for.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you have an owner's manual. Open your glove box, look for a small cubby above the box, slightly below the grab handle.

ashbinder

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I actually had the manual right in front of me as I was writing...give me a bit of credit - I think it's general etiquette to check the manual before asking a question! :) BTW - my '02 doesn't have a grab handle above the glove box. lol

The reason I asked was because the manual seemed to state intervals which were really long (basically listed 100 to 120K for major things, contradicting what the service guy was recommending) and the differential fluid / transfer case wasn't listed in the maintenance schedule. So I wanted to see what kind of experiences people had here. For example, although 5000 km oil changes are traditional, most agree now that that interval is conservative, given the quality of modern day oils.

Thanks for the advice and welcome though! Appreciate the clarification on the transmission types.

Last edited:

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the service guy was just trying to get you to buy extras, this time but, the mileage recommendations in the manual do seem to be a little far, for my tastes. You should be alright for a while though, I'd think another 20K km or so. Change with synthetics and you won't have to worry about it for a LONG time. And yeah, welcome to the board.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the forum.

Welcome, and enjoy.

Dave

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many car owners just don't know about good forums like this one. They can be a great resource, not to mention the social aspect. I try to get the word out through my site.