Wont align after hitting curb, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost got t-boned a couple weeks ago, and i hit a curb at 20ish mph trying to not get killed. I drove it home with the alignment way out of whack. the passenger side tire was really turned in. I cant see any damage anywhere so i adjusted the passenger tie rod until the tires were at least straight so i could get to work etc. After a day i realized that i had major positive camber. So i adjusted the alignment bolts all the way out, and its much better. but i can still see that I still have some positive camber even with the alignment bolts maxed out. With some posative camber on the passenger side, obviously the jeep dosnt handle nearly as well as it should.

What could my issue be? where could i look that im not? Any help would be awesome because im kinda sitting here scratching my head, and im a pretty able mechanic.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not going to get it anywhere close to being in by "eye balling it" with how the KJ's camber/caster is adjusted.You need a alignment rack.

You could have bent parts and trained techs can spot them by tell tale signs.Your cradle could have shifted also.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking cradle too but dosnt look like it shifted really. I never take any of my vehicles in for any repairs, ive always done my own no matter how big or small. But something is definitely off still. I would rather find the bent or broken or shifted parts and fix them and then later get it aligned on my buddies rack if possible. Is there any instructions out there saying how to adjust and realign the cradle?

pretty much every place near me looks at my lifted jeep and says that since its not stock they have no clue where to start or what to do.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shift the cradle on a alignment rack.Will also help detect bent parts.

Do you mean they can shift the cradle to get even more adjustment? Is this normal or only something they do if an alignment can't be achieved by ordinary means?

This would put sense into it since my right side seems maxed out while the left is just normal.

..oh and couldn't you measure from center of tire to center of bottom balljoint on both sides to make sure they are the same. Would tell if you have a bent spindle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Little bit more to it than that
plus heres an example
My friends 03 had been in a minor accident not too long after it was purchased in 03. Shoved into a curb etc.
Always got alignments and they said it was within specs but always pulled a little
When he finally had it into the place I use they found the cradle had been moved back just a little bit cauing the pull. Several alignment shops had never found nor mentioned it

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean they can shift the cradle to get even more adjustment? Is this normal or only something they do if an alignment can't be achieved by ordinary means?

This would put sense into it since my right side seems maxed out while the left is just normal.

..oh and couldn't you measure from center of tire to center of bottom balljoint on both sides to make sure they are the same. Would tell if you have a bent spindle.
Shifting the cradle will effect both sides.You do not have a spindle on your KJ anywhere.You could have many things bent like the LCA,UCA's,knuckle,tie rod end,the ball joints themselfs,you could even have a bent cradle.

Need to get it on a alignment rack with someone that knows a KJ.

By the way if your going to hit a curb never steer away from it,turn the front wheels directly at the curb so the suspension cycles taking the hit like it's designed to do along with the tire.Hitting it with the side of the tire bends/breaks stuff.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone with an alignment rack around me knew anything about lifted kjs, and not just run away, guess at the problem, or blame the lift

ryanee182

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone with an alignment rack around me knew anything about lifted kjs, and not just run away, guess at the problem, or blame the lift

Bring it to Firestone by Apache Mall. I have lifetime alignments there, and they have aligned mine 5 or 6 times now. So they definitely have experience aligning a lifted KJ!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring it to Firestone by Apache Mall. I have lifetime alignments there, and they have aligned mine 5 or 6 times now. So they definitely have experience aligning a lifted KJ!

I might just have to do that, and see what they say, i was about to send you a PM and see who you have do your alignments. Beat me to it!