Windows mist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I have a problem, last several weeks my KJ's windows become constantly and heavily misted. They never used to do that before.
I don't drink :)
I don't forget to turn the air conditioner on...

This is my second KJ and my first one didn't have this problem.
My friend has the exact same KJ i have - also no such problem.

Any ideas?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the weather like over there in Mother Russia? I remember winter in Michigan, my windows would get condensation from the difference in temperture when I turned off my car, ie was hot inside due to the heater being on, and friggin cold outside, thus creating condensation. This didn't happen when the car was started because the temperature change was gradual (crappy heater). Maybe that is what is happening to your KJ?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read your post again, I think you are talking about your windows "fogging" up and this being a de-frost issue?

Do you smoke in your Libby? I use to smoke back in the day and the smoke leaves a residue on the windows that practically makes the de-frost useless. If you thoroughly clean your windows, it'll get rid of it, till it builds up again. Just a wild shot in the dark.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean all windows get fogged up or misted when i first start the car in the morning (~26F) and if i turn off the blower later they start doing it again very quickly.

The thing is that my first KJ never got it so hard and my friends KJ in the same conditions doesnt do that.

I dont smoke. And clean the car inside very often including windows.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i turn off the blower later they start doing it again very quickly.

I wouldn't turn off the blower then:D

Sorry I can't help, it very rarely gets cold where I live and I rarely use the de-frost, maybe like 1 to 2 times a year;)

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't turn off the blower then:D

Sorry I can't help, it very rarely gets cold where I live and I rarely use the de-frost, maybe like 1 to 2 times a year;)

I don't :( :D

What about when it rains or when you get drunk people inside? :)

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't :( :D

What about when it rains or when you get drunk people inside? :)

It rains maybe about 6-8 inches a year here, and that is in little bursts, so...

And I don't know how to respond to the drunk people thing, I didn't realize that causes the windows to fog up. Plus the only drunk people that get into my KJ are women, and then the windows don't fog up, they steam up :cool::D

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It rains maybe about 6-8 inches a year here, and that is in little bursts, so...

And I don't know how to respond to the drunk people thing, I didn't realize that causes the windows to fog up. Plus the only drunk people that get into my KJ are women, and then the windows don't fog up, they steam up :cool::D

Yep, drunk people cause windows to fog up, now drunk girls are something else outtahere.gif :D

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hope that it is not heater core leaking,I am assuming that you do not smell anti-freeze? Could also be from moisture in side from tracking it in,or a place in weather strip allowing moisture in.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Max

When it's -30C (-22F) here I find that lowering a window a wee bit helps all the moist air escape. When the snow on your boots turns to water in the floor mat and the heater is blowing for all it's worth.... could just be the rise in humidity in the KJ and the cold outside air causing the problem. Give that a shot.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the humidity, but i wonder where it comes from and why i didn't have this before...
I'll be checking stuff out today...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When It's cold out and warm inside the mixing with humidity causes condensation on glass.
The air conditioning in heat mode(defrost) should clear the windows quickly.
I have found that when you do short trips, where the interior does not get fully warm, is when it is worst, because the interior holds some moisture.
I run a 120 volt car heater inside on floor areas (when It's dry outside) twice a week for 6 hours, to keep the interior dry and lower the humidity level inside. This works very well, unless the vehicle is covered in snow, or it' raining out side.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When It's cold out and warm inside the mixing with humidity causes condensation on glass.
The air conditioning in heat mode(defrost) should clear the windows quickly.
I have found that when you do short trips, where the interior does not get fully warm, is when it is worst, because the interior holds some moisture.
I run a 120 volt car heater inside on floor areas (when It's dry outside) twice a week for 6 hours, to keep the interior dry and lower the humidity level inside. This works very well, unless the vehicle is covered in snow, or it' raining out side.

And once again, i know why there is for on the windows, it's just i've never had it so hard, it doesnt go away fast at the beginning and starts to build up very quickly if i turn down the defroster.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a piece of paper or a dollar bill and close the door on it so that it sits between the weather seal and the door, if you are able to move it in and out without resistance then there is an air gap that moisture can get in. move the paper around the door and test every inch of the weatherstripping. You should be able to move the paper/money in and out but you should feel resistance. I don't know if I am explaining it well...

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its clear!

Ok, guys, today i wanted to get out and take a bus...
It took !15 minutes! with defroster at full speed to take out 70% of the fog (i never even used the defroster at full speed on my first KJ).

And it's definetly not the weather, cause no other car on the road had this, even freakin ladas were cristal clear, and those pieces of....are sold with fog on their windows!!

I don't think it's the weather stripping too, because i've had two wranglers and they have lots of different holes beacause of the top - never had any problems.