Need urgent help (or i cant go on my camping trip)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam68

Reaction score
Hello all, recently I had a bad driver's aide cv axle so my jeep was parked for several months (I have other vehicles). Just last week a friend helped me put a new cv axle in and shortly after I noticed that cruising at 45 mpg I get an onset of vibration that turns into shaking, then it dissipates. It tends to do it repeatedly. 1 thing I noticed is that the cv axle could be wiggled inside the hub, does this mean new hub? And also if someone could take a look and tell me if this cv axle actually seated in
You must be registered for see images attach
all the way?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! We will do our best to help.

If your bad CV was on the passengers side, you may not have replaced the intermediate shaft or half shaft. The splines on it could have been trashed by the old CV so it is best to replace the right side CV and intermediate shaft as a pair. If the intermediate shaft splines are bad, they can cause bad vibrations but also ruin the splines on your new CV.

Last edited:

adam68

Reaction score
Hello! We will do our best to help.

If your bad CV was on the passengers side, you may not have replaced the intermediate shaft or half shaft. The splines on it could have been trashed by the old CV so it is best to replace the right side CV and intermediate shaft as a pair. If the intermediate shaft splines are bad, they can cause bad vibrations but also ruin the splines on your new CV.
This is the driver's side

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also where did you get the CV? Remanufactured Napa CV’s have the best reputation on here. Some sources are better than others.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help, does that cv axle look in all the way?
Looks alright to me, but I have an 08 KK which has a slightly different looking differential housing than the KJ’s. If you heard the ring on the end of the axle go “click” when you put it in, then you will be good there.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you knocked a wheel weight off the tire when putting it on/off? Could be a tire out of balance thing too.

adam68

Reaction score
Looks alright to me, but I have an 08 KK which has a slightly different looking differential housing than the KJ’s. If you heard the ring on the end of the axle go “click” when you put it in, then you will be good there.
my friend got it in i had stepped away. we had an issue with the little ring and had to reuse it off of the old axle and then he was able to get it in with some force. this axle was from carquest

adam68

Reaction score
Any chance you knocked a wheel weight off the tire when putting it on/off? Could be a tire out of balance thing too.
id have to check but i dont believe so, if i did its been shoveled into oblivion with the snow we just had lol

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably is more likely to be something about the CV itself. Sorry I am not sure what else to suggest other than to check the torque on the wheel nut and all the suspension/brake/ball joint nuts and bolts you removed to do the job.

One other thought… loose lug nuts? Stranger things have happened.

Hopefully some others with KJ’s who have changed CV’s before will chime in.

adam68

Reaction score
It probably is more likely to be something about the CV itself. Sorry I am not sure what else to suggest other than to check the torque on the wheel nut and all the suspension/brake/ball joint nuts and bolts you removed to do the job.

One other thought… loose lug nuts? Stranger things have happened.

Hopefully some others with KJ’s who have changed CV’s before will chime in.
lugs are good, everything should be torqued down... did get another cv axle but never heard from my friend to help install it today

WWDiesel

Reaction score
What year model and what engine? Maybe you installed the wrong CV axle, there different ones in length depending on year model and engine.
What was the part number you installed?

gvaldez

Reaction score
Visually, it looks similar to my 02 install that I had done last year. The passenger side on mine does wiggle a bit but I don't get any shake when driving.
Thread here: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/loose-cv-axle-liberty-kj.79524/#post-800032

I'd also start with tire balance and checking correct part was used. And if hub is bad enough to cause a noticeable shake like you mentioned, it's likely going to show in a simple inspection.