window sracthes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any tricks for scratched windows? sand gets caught in the outside of the window and scrapes the window over time.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any tricks for scratched windows? sand gets caught in the outside of the window and scrapes the window over time.

I have the same prob. I was told that windshield repair shops can fix them, but I have never gone to ask

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but my guess is to fix a scratch in a window would require some sort of filler. You can't really buff out or sand off (which is what polishing is-- sanding with very fine grit) safety glass because it has that plasticated coating. So any gouges or scratches would have to be filled and then leveled out to the rest of the glass.

onlyina

Reaction score
Forget about polishing out scratches on tempered glass,it's not going to happen.Keep the belt moulding clean,thats the outside horizontal mouldings at the bottom of the windows.With the window down either blow off the sand or debris from the felt part of the moulding with compressed air or flush with water.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about polishing out scratches on tempered glass,it's not going to happen.Keep the belt moulding clean,thats the outside horizontal mouldings at the bottom of the windows.With the window down either blow off the sand or debris from the felt part of the moulding with compressed air or flush with water.

i know i try to keep it as clean as possible. but what about the already existing scratches? just stuck with them?

onlyina

Reaction score
Unfortunately,yes.There is not too much you can do with that glass but replace it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re tint maybe to minimize them perhaps...or tint if you don't have it already...

BryanL

Reaction score
Hi,

In the UK, we can buy a polishing kit containg cerium oxide. This is made into a paste, than applied to a buffing plate than is used on a battery drill. It takes some time to buff scratches out, but it does the job. I have used this on windshields, side windows and even panes of glass in house windows too. Cerium oxide is marginally harder than silicon dioxide (glass!), hence its ability to polish. If you want to find out more, see this link: http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8109&frostProductName=Windscreen Scratch Repair Kit

Kind regards
Bryan

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If fine scratch that is not deep, Used to polish jewelry, you can use Jeweler's Rouge(ferric oxide) also into a warm paste, with a wet warm windshield, it removes all the dirt, grime,wax, and small fine scratches. You will see clearly again! It is not as abrasive as cerium oxide.

Last edited: