Window switch/regulator issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taticarum

Reaction score
I replaced the driver's door window regulator on my 2007 KJ Cherokee (right-hand drive UK version). After installation but before attaching to the window I tested the up-down to see if it was working ok. It was, but when the window bracket got to its lowest point on the metal guide the motor didn't cut out and something instantly snapped - the white tube that covers the spiral inner wire, near where it attaches to the top of the metal guide. Does the regulator motor have no way of sensing when the window has reached it's max travel to closed or open? Or is it controlled by the window switch and mine is faulty? Any explanation and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Newby from New Zealand.

Taticarum

Reaction score
So I ordered a second regulator, installed it and on the first close-open test of the window the same plastic component snapped, as before - the white outer covering around the spiral wire core. Phoned the supplier who said I must have broken it while installing or the fault was with my window switch. Got an auto-electrician to test my switches and the regulator motor but he could find no fault. His opinion was that the plastic tubing on the supplied window regulator mechanism was below par. Fortunately I'd kept my original regulator mechanism, on which the window lifting bracket had failed - the plastic tube part that the end of the spiral wire core screws in to had come away. So I was able to simply wind out the spiral core from one of the broken replacement regulators, with plastic lifting bracket attached, and wind it in to my original regulator, which had much tougher plastic tubing. Popped it back in to the door and all is well. Feeling quite pleased with myself actually ;).

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all 4 on 2017 with metallic ones for 72$ from ebay. The OEM are plastic and finally brake...
Since then, I do not have any problem.
As far as I can see though you have a different issue now, not the plastic lift plates. Just have it in mind cause they will brake some day...

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replacement parts these days are absolute junk in a lot of cases.
sadly a lot of cars will "die" simply because you can't get a decent replacement for a part that renders it inoperable.

and your supplier is an ass. you need a new one.

Members online

No members online now.