Will I need special tools for body work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in a few threads I'd been hit a few times in the past 10 months. Thankfully there's no major body damage. Basically it's a lot of cracked and missing (aka popped off) plastic bits. I'll take photo's tomorrow and post online. Thanks to many folks here I now have access to parts and service manuals along with some good ideas where to get replace pieces from.

Now I wonder, will I need any specialty tools to do these repairs myself? I don't want to just "go at it" with a screw driver and ending up breaking more pieces I'd have to replace.

Things I'll be replace are wheel flares, wheel well, and the rear bumper. Just a brief look at these things looks like I'll need to remove some plastic rivets and some clips as well.

As a side note, due to financial hardship I was forced to sell of my rather large Craftsman mechanic's tool set. I don't trust Sears any longer as they are in financial mess. I don't see the need or have the money to invest in SK or Snap-on tools. Are sets at Lowes, Home Depot or even Harbor Freight worth the investment?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been mixing some Lowes brand "KOBALT" tools into my shop's boxes (3 employees, I furnish all tools) for a couple years now. Nothing's broke yet and still look good. Also, the "MR.GOODWRENCH" Chinese stuff at O'Reilys seems to work well.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that I bought most of my tools at HF and the likes in college, I can tell you that some are OK, some are not. Perhaps it's the environment that they are in (I use some tools to fix things on my waverunner...the salt water and air is very ******* these things). I've had no major "failures" but some of my tools look like they've been through the ringer and back. One of my ratchets is a bit sticky. But that's about it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 thing I've found about tools it's a "you get what you pay for" type of deal.

I started out with the cheap stuff(craftsman and such) 20 years ago and have since replaced with Snapon,MAC,MatCo,and Cornwell and you can tell the difference.Simple hand tools like a wrench that Snapon $800 set of Flank Drive wrenches is a night and day difference when using compared to even mid level stuff like S&K.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 50yrs old and with only a daughter to leave my "legacy" to, I can't warrant buying another huge tool set to replace the one I had to sell. What's a fair middle ground? I doubt I'll be using any of the specialty tools I once had anymore.

Sadly, I think I may have to pay someone to replace some parts that have been knocked off. Specifically the wheel well. I'm concerned about ice and snow getting thrown up at exposed wiring during the up comming winter. Damned if I do, damned if I don't here. To pay for the parts I need, need to work, but that means overtime and working 7 days a week, leaving with no time to do the work! ARRRGHHH! Anyone know of a reliable, inexpensive body guy in St. Louis?

I took some pictures of the damage in order to get better advice. Can I post them here? If so, is there a size limit?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a discount tool type person. Only when I prove the cheap one inadequate (or break it) do I pony up for a higher quality one. You can get TONS of work done with cheap tools. You can even afford to use them wrong and/or in an expendable fashion.

My idea of body work involves cutting/grinding/flap discs, welder, wire brush/wheel, file, sandpaper. Primer & paint. What's body filler? :icon_lol:

Here's the type of trim tool I have.... its cost < $5
You must be registered for see images attach

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HF offers a lifetime warranty on all hand tools so as far as that goes.. To hell with it, why not? If it breaks, warranty! I can't say I trust their power tools, I usually go to home depot for Rigid stuff, if it's air tools I'm really picky choosy.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HF offers a lifetime warranty on all hand tools so as far as that goes.. To hell with it, why not? If it breaks, warranty! I can't say I trust their power tools, I usually go to home depot for Rigid stuff, if it's air tools I'm really picky choosy.
Yeah, until you have a 1-1/8" box ended "Pittsburgh pro" break and you loose your balance, slide and bust open your head, trip to the ER via helicopter, three units of blood and a ER bill later.......yeah warranty

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, until you have a 1-1/8" box ended "Pittsburgh pro" break and you loose your balance, slide and bust open your head, trip to the ER via helicopter, three units of blood and a ER bill later.......yeah warranty

Now do we blame the chicken or the egg...

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've seen worse, attended the funeral of a friend's father. Timing an engine, box he was standing on slid out from under him and the fan blade got his neck.

Or my Grandfather, who has a glass eye. Wrench slid off the engine hit the fan belt flew up and got him clean in the eye.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
or my friend who was trying to use a spring compressor that idiots still use today. Had it compressed pretty well bolt broke, spring came loose and tore off part of face/brain, he lived for I think 16-17 years like a vegetable

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safety t...

Appreciate those who shared horror stories to remind us all that safety must be paramount in working on our vehicles. I had a friend who suffered serious burns from gasoline working on his car. The greatest piece of safety equipment is between our ears. Whenever starting to do any repair, we need to think about needed safety precautions. Like not standing on precarious perches, crawling under improperly supported vehicles, doing repairs with running engines, using tools of questionable quality in high stress applications, etc. I try to think about the dangers in any repair and take counter measures to avoid injury. Does this always work? No... When I get busy and lose focus I have taken short cuts on safety and got bit, but fortunately not seriously hurt. Skinned knuckles and minor cuts. These incidents just remind me to think! Don't take risks to save the few minutes extra it takes to do the job safely.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, here's the pictures of the damage I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_20151007_151700.jpg
    IMG_20151007_151700.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20151007_151723.jpg
    IMG_20151007_151723.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20151007_151734.jpg
    IMG_20151007_151734.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20151007_151749.jpg
    IMG_20151007_151749.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 17

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll consider doing some of the work myself....next spring. Have too much mechanical stuff that's been neglected while unemployed to be done yet. What's everyone's take on not having the wheel well in the front left side gone? Am I being overly concerned that water, ice and snow will cause issues with exposed wiring?

The bumper is more then just dented. What the pictures doesn't show is that it's cracked in many places and somewhat loose as well.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll consider doing some of the work myself....next spring. Have too much mechanical stuff that's been neglected while unemployed to be done yet. What's everyone's take on not having the wheel well in the front left side gone? Am I being overly concerned that water, ice and snow will cause issues with exposed wiring?

The bumper is more then just dented. What the pictures doesn't show is that it's cracked in many places and somewhat loose as well.
Duct tape the bumper for now if you aren't replacing it. The wheel well on the other hand I would highly recomend taking care of the keep the salt spray out of places you do not want!