Will 02-04 Mopar Front Skid Fit an 06?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a front skid plate off of a 2003 from a salvage yard a little while back. I was wondering if it would fit my 06 without too much modification. I am willing to do a little modification to make it work. But if it would just be better to go buy a skid row front skid plate rather than modify the mopar one I am fine with that as well. I am just looking for some help in the right direction.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer, yes it will fit. No mods needed - there's no difference in all model year KJ's in the front skid.

The trans skid is different in the '02 thru 04 compared to the '05 thru '07 but they will fit with a slight mod. I put an '05 trans skid on my '03 and ran that for a while before I put on the 4XGuard skid.

Bob

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in that case since mine did not come with the bolt holes to put on the mopar skid am I good to just drill holes and mount it with grade 8 bolts?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in that case since mine did not come with the bolt holes to put on the mopar skid am I good to just drill holes and mount it with grade 8 bolts?

The front bolts will have a nutzert or welded nut installed from the factory (you'll need to buy the bolts unless you kept them from the salvage yard), but for the rear bolts, yes, a set of Grade 8's will do the trick.

Bob

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I will have to look under the front again but the last time that I looked it didn't look like there were any holes for bolts to go into. It is good to hear that for the rear all I have to do is drill holes and put through grade 8 bolts. Unfortunatley I do not still have the bolts from the salvage yard. I was only lucky to trip over the skid plate as it had already been taken off and was in the snow. Where would I go to buy these nutzerts?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I will have to look under the front again but the last time that I looked it didn't look like there were any holes for bolts to go into. It is good to hear that for the rear all I have to do is drill holes and put through grade 8 bolts. Unfortunatley I do not still have the bolts from the salvage yard. I was only lucky to trip over the skid plate as it had already been taken off and was in the snow. Where would I go to buy these nutzerts?

Nutzerks? Don't need any, front cross member has holes for the bolts already with nuts in there, rear just drill right up through the cross member and bolt that sucker up, easy...........

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to drill a hole in the front skid plate. They moved one of the holes in 2005 I guess. That's easy though.

I also think the bolts that came with the Moapr transmission skid were grade 10 but I am not 100% sure on that.

Nutserts worked fine for me on the transmission skid. The holes on my 07 Liberty were hexagonal so I doubt I'll have problems with nutsert rotating freely at some later point in time.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nutzerks? Don't need any, front cross member has holes for the bolts already with nuts in there, rear just drill right up through the cross member and bolt that sucker up, easy...........

By chance do you know what size the front bolts are?

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar bolts are grade 10.9. 45mm long but I didn't really care to measure the diameter.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok once I get off of work today I am going to go take a look under the front and make sure that I understand what you are telling me is there. I have been under there a few times just to look and I don't remember those holes being there. There is a good chance that I missed them not knowing what I was looking for.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

for the middle(?) crossmember for the TF skid plate. This is from a patriot.

I'm not too sure about the front but most likely Tom and Bob are correct.

Here's a picture of the front two crossmembers I found on the forum. You can see the bolts for the front skid plates are. There's a bolt missing on the back crossmember.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer, yes it will fit. No mods needed - there's no difference in all model year KJ's in the front skid.

The trans skid is different in the '02 thru 04 compared to the '05 thru '07 but they will fit with a slight mod. I put an '05 trans skid on my '03 and ran that for a while before I put on the 4XGuard skid.

Bob

and now it's with me :D
I still need to put it on!!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get busy - what, do you have a life or something?? :happy175::happy175:

JK ;)

Bob

hahahaha. I'll get to it eventually. Bought a wire brush attachment. going to repaint all my skids.

I still have to clean off all the extra Ohio freebie that it came with.