why no flat fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any idea why there are no flat style fender flares out there for the KJ? i really like the look and the added clearance..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not enough interest in a company to make them
Not that much if any extra clearance with them on a KJ
Plus then you see all of the body/structure when the inner fender is removed which is not good looking at all
Flat fenders look OK on a TJ/JK etc on a KJ :pp:

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
behind the stock fender flares there is not much in the way of clearance to be gained without modifying the unibody, so if there were a bolt on flat fender flare available it would be looks and body protection only, not clearance, and if you actually hit something with them it would transfer the force to the fender and do more harm than good, cheaper to replace cheap plastic fender flares than repair or replace the fender itself, i know someone on lost made his own set but i dont remember if he trimmed away any of the unibody or not

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wildman over on LOST made a set for the front of his
lives about 1/4 mile from me
yes he did some trimming only due to getting the wrong size tires and had to :happy175:
But not a good idea to trim as that is part of the body structure
of course his is beyond that now

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i just like the look of em on the JK/TJ/XJ and i did see Wildman's thread and thought they'd be sweet..

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Have a look at this thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/idea-fender-flairs-49670/
When you get to post 12 and 13 you will see what Tom means.

It's the same with extended coverage flares like those offered by Bushwacker. Available for other Jeep models
except the Liberty due to lack of interest. Mind you the name "Bushwacker" is an oxymoron. One good wack
against a bush or other obstacle and your fancy flare is broken!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you think the stock flares have no clearance,I'm running 35" tires and have no contact with my flares at full stuff and I'm also 10" wider.

You must be registered for see images

Fully stuffed 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT on a 8" rim.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck getting Bushwacker to make anything for the KJ it has took them 13 years to make them for the WJ here is a little reading for you Sneak peak... pic of Bushwacker's NEW cut-out fender flares!! - JeepForum.com
also there are not many KJ that people that are willing to drop 500 for a set of flares heck look at how many people bicker about the cost of a good lift on a KJ or KK

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
also there are not many KJ that people that are willing to drop 500 for a set of flares heck look at how many people bicker about the cost of a good lift on a KJ or KK

Ain't that the truth!
Most people we wheel with think we are completely bare foot in the head for lifting our KJ, let alone spend the kind of money Jen and I have for re-gearing and installing ARB Air lockers into our Rig!
Give it another couple of years when the Jeep brand totally turns to shit and KJ's and KK's become favorable to build into trail rigs...

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth!
Most people we wheel with think we are completely bare foot in the head for lifting our KJ, let alone spend the kind of money Jen and I have for re-gearing and installing ARB Air lockers into our Rig!
Give it another couple of years when the Jeep brand totally turns to shit and KJ's and KK's become favorable to build into trail rigs...

you hit the nail on the head

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuck. Looks like a "trail rated" smart car. Putting "Willys" on the roof rack is an insult.

Last edited: