Need help removing front bumper on 2002 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have - 2002 Liberty KJ Limited.

What I'm trying to do - Remove my front bumper cover in order to install a set of OEM tow hooks with the "W"-ish upper bracket/bolts (not the skinny ones, the flat ones with the angled "wings" on the ends).

Where I'm having trouble - After reviewing multiple How-To write ups and videos I have pretty much everything done, BUT it feels like there is a rivet/bolt still connecting the bumper cover to the fender (fender flare?) that I'm stumped on how to locate and remove.

What I'm looking for - ANY advice, suggestions, or directions for removing the front bumper cover from a 2002 KJ. All the How-To's I've found include the 2002 in the year range but are for the model years with the flat bumper cover and front signal lights that are in the grill/under the head lights.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! At this point I'm wondering if I need to remove the fenders (flares?) as well. I'm also starting to understand why the dealership wanted "at least $200" to install the hooks for me.

Here's a picture of my front end and the bracket for the hooks

Attachments

• Front End.jpg
    Front End.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 11
  • OEM Bracket.jpg
    OEM Bracket.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 11

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
02 to 04 are the same , then 05 to 07
Without knowing what all you have removed or loosened its hard to say what maybe holding you up

Red Dog 6436

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
02 to 04 are the same , then 05 to 07
Without knowing what all you have removed or loosened its hard to say what maybe holding you up
My bad.

Removed the grille facade, rivets towards the bottom of the grille/top of the bumper cover, front 4 rivets in the wheel well area for the liner, the bolts for the air damn under the bumper, the rivets just below and to the side of the head lights, front marker lights/turn signals.

This video was the most detailed that I've been able to find over the past year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media