Why does the KJ Renegade have side steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my 2005 only came with the bumper mounted fogs, tow hooks, and the bolt looking fender flares, and the rocker guards. no skids, i believe standard alternator, and definitely no locker. Not even limited slip!

They arent side steps, least mine arent, they are rocker guards. Similar to skink sliders but about 1/8th as strong.

That's exactly what my '05 Renegade came with.
Bruce

Signe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, that was my mistake in saying the Renny came with skid plates and a locker.

BTW, the "side steps" I'm referring to are what you see here:

Last edited:

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without reading all of the posts, I'll tell you what mine came with as standard.

2004 Renegade - Package E

Off-road Roof lights
LSD
Skids for front, transfer case, gas tank
side rock rails (not step rails)
stronger alternator
tow hooks 2 front and 1 rear
fog lights
electric leather seats
EVIC
2wd-Part Time-Full Time-4Lo Automatic ****** ( I can never remember the name of it)
235/70/16 SR/A's (29.5")
ABS disc brakes all 4 wheels
Power windows/door locks/ side mirrors
AM/FM/CD Head unit - regular speakers not the infinity's
Renegade Roof rack
Rivet-looking (matching paint) flares
Front bumper fascia with silver-gray piece in the center
Matching paint rear bumper
Renegade wheels with Tire Pressure sensors
Double-mint twin sisters

Okay....just checking to see if you read all of my options. HA!

smcbride11

Reaction score

I've got an '04 Renny as well, but didn't get the LSD... I'm thinking that's an option on top of the Renegade package.

They do also (the manuals at least) have the Command Trac HD 231 TC, which is an upgrade over the standard TC (though I believe the HD was made standard on all Libbys post-'05).

Everything else sounds about right - the Renegade "look" package (light bar, riveted and color matched fenders, etc) plus the off road package (tow hooks, transmission and gas tank skids, rock rails). I've noticed that the rock rails rust absurdly quickly, so I'll be replacing them with either Skink Sliders or Boulder Bars soon.

cherokee4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without reading all of the posts, I'll tell you what mine came with as standard.

Off-road Roof lights
LSD
Skids for front, transfer case, gas tank
side rock rails (not step rails)
stronger alternator
tow hooks 2 front and 1 rear
fog lights
electric leather seats
EVIC
2wd-Part Time-Full Time-4Lo Automatic ****** ( I can never remember the name of it)
235/70/16 SR/A's (29.5")
ABS disc brakes all 4 wheels
Power windows/door locks/ side mirrors
AM/FM/CD Head unit - regular speakers not the infinity's
Renegade Roof rack
Rivet-looking (matching paint) flares
Front bumper fascia with silver-gray piece in the center
Matching paint rear bumper
Renegade wheels with Tire Pressure sensors
Double-mint twin sisters

Okay....just checking to see if you read all of my options. HA!

same here but mine is 2003 with little Different like no LSD and with AM/FM/CD/cassite & infinity's speakers and with only one hook in the front and also the rear diff locker.

but i would say between the normal kj and kj renegade is big Different

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that not all Renes's got the "E" package and I am more than pretty sure that the Rene package for '05 and up was just the appearance pieces. Just because a certain jeep had certain equipment didn't mean it was on all of that type of jeep.

Is that how it was listed on the window sticker for the "E" package description, stronger alt.? Seems kind of strange...:D

The 231 is the standard transfer case. The 6-speeds got a stronger case in the 241.

Again, the KJ never had a locker unless you installed it.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
The Renegade is more than just looks. There are some body differences, but the Renegade also has full Mopar skid plates opposed to the sport and limited have none. Also they are equiped with the Mopar rock rails. Although these aren't the best skids or the best rock rails you can buy they are functional and not just appearances.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
So, you had to have a Rene to get skids?????? They weren't avaiable on the other models? Ever look into the off-road package? The same one that was available on later Renes? Yeah, you could get that option on the others.

I have been under an '05 Rene and, like the poster above, it did not have skids. Also, it does not have the "off-road" tires. Maybe '05 & newer Renes with this stuff have additional options above a base renegade appearance package? If your Rene had the SR-A's, it probab;y had the package. If it had the ST's it did not. Yes, rene's came with ST's and w/o skids unless they were part of an additional package.

The body differences on the 2nd gen, like the grille and hood are, um, appearance items.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Rene has:
The dumb plastic covering on the roof rack - ( I just removed that a week ago)
Mopar Skids
Mopar rock rails
The nice bolt on matching color fenders
Light BarClass III tow package
160 amp alternator
Sunroof

It doesn't have:
Leather
LSD
EVAC (or whatever the initials are)
Cargo-anything
Radio controls on the steering wheel

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
'05+ Renegades didn't come with any standard skids.

Believe me, my sister's has NO skids....just the rock rails.

well it very well could have been some type of package deal but MY 2005 Renegade does have full Mopar skids from the factory. Engine, Trans, TCase, and Gas Tank. Along with the rock rails and heavy duty roof rails.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
well it very well could have been some type of package deal but MY 2005 Renegade does have full Mopar skids from the factory. Engine, Trans, TCase, and Gas Tank. Along with the rock rails and heavy duty roof rails.

Right. The "skids" package is called.... The Offroad Package. ;)

I forgot about the "heavy duty" (hardly) roof rails. They're just bigger.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Right. The "skids" package is called.... The Offroad Package. ;)

I forgot about the "heavy duty" (hardly) roof rails. They're just bigger.

Yah....I just noticed the other day that they look a bit beefier. Probably just more trim on the rails....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The rails on the renegade aren't actually rails.
Its supposed to be a a rack type thing that you put stuff down inside of it.

On the 02-04 yes, but Marlon and I were talking about the 05-06....which had beefier side rails and no basket....:)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people think that buying a Rocky Mountain Edition/ Renegade/ whatever the other higher priced models are that they got a way better built KJ, when in fact you could order a Sport and add anything you wanted to it and have almost all of the same stuff as the Renegade.
I liked the Sport ( and unpainted fenders) and had the dealer locate me one with what I wanted not what they wanted to sell me in the package deals.
The fourth lift I done for a couple with a Renegade , they too thought they had everything, until I had them knell down and look under to see......NO SKIDs:eek: all along they thought they had them since they had a Renegade! :rolleyes:;)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would've been happy with a Sport....but I wanted leather....

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
It is just dandy to like your sport, rene, or limited. Heck, we all chose what we have because we like them. But it pretty much boils down to the appearance-type pieces.

If we all liked the same things it would be boring.