Why do they call them Soft 8s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a stab at it...

8 is easy. 8 holes.

Soft - maybe the steel wheels are softer than aluminum? Rim will bend in extreme case rather than cracking and breaking like aluminum.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soft 8: my take on it is more artistic. The eight is most likely due to the number of holes in the rims, and the "soft" portion of the name probably refers to the design of the rims. The round holes are a whole lot "softer" looking when compared to Cragar D-windowed rims.

[/end]My 2 Cents

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Cragar soft 8s at least my old ones i bought used had a weird almost seemed rubberized coating, not really painted?? So my wheels were soft :)

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm i got soft 8s straight from cragar and there is definatly no rubber coating. i think everyone is right when they say that there is 8 holes and the holes are soft. plain and simple

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... i think everyone is right when they say that there is 8 holes and the holes are soft. plain and simple...

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

eww...

Back on topic

Code:
Cagar Soft 8 wheels are a great combination of performance, quality, and style.

Cragar's Soft 8 wheels feature an 8-hole design. These steel wheels are available in black or silver powdercoated, and chrome plated finishes that are durable and look good.

Straight from the Summit online catalog, maybe it'll help

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC