why am i get such terrible gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
My girlfriend drives a 1.3l hybrid civic. I hate driving it, but I love the mpg.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Jeeps suck at gas economy. And how you drive them can help or hurt that situation.

The obvious thing on gas economy on the jeep is how you drive it, where you drive it. Thats it.. If your a rabbit and only drive it in the city, your MPG is gonna be bad.. If you drive it reasonable and drive highway miles your MPG is going to be better.

You can invest in things to improve the situation. But REALLY the best way to imrpove your MPG is drive it smoother and drive it on the highway more. That is your biggest gains.

Everything else is just going to give you moderate gains in comparison to that. The Liberty is not a Vette or a VW so please stop comparing it to all those.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All Jeeps suck at gas economy
funny statement since if you really start looking they are not that bad compared to others
I drive mine pretty hard, I never feather the pedal taking off I run 70-75 on the freeway all of the time and it does good
No complaints at all
During the week my " state supplied car " is a Ford Taurus of course I have to drive it easier but on the road I only get 24 MPGs so only 3 more than my KJ and it ***** to drive it, Hate driving that car :whip:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Any 1 who has a car with an engine smaller than 2.0L
That is naturally aspirated and can not get 30 mpg
Is doing something wrong

My Mini is 1293 cc. and it don't get nowhere near 30 mpg!
But then again, it runs twin 1¾" Skinner Union carbs, stage
three head, race cam, 7:1 Titan roller rockers...
Maybe 15 mpg!
But I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm doing it all right!;)

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well REALLY I am getting about 13-15 City MPG, that is stop go, stop go maybe lucky get up to 35 MPH. Thats sucking.

And from what I know the 5.7L has the electronic stuff to shut down cylenders when power is not needed. I am sure in REAL WORLD a GC would get about the same, maybe better.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am only getting 12 to 13 in city drive and 16 to 17 on highway for my 06 Renegade 4x4. I had an Escape 4x4 which got 25 to 28 on highway. Jeep is not doiing it homework let its customer down in this aspect.

The escape weighs 800 pounds less and has 30 less HP. You can't compare the two.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Okura
Instead of complaining about Jeep gas mileage why not just buy a Prius
I think you'd be happy
:happy175:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any 1 who has a car with an engine smaller than 2.0L
That is naturally aspirated and can not get 30 mpg
Is doing something wrong
My wife drive a VW Tiguan ,same size as a rav4 and CR-V
She does not drive slow and with the 2.0T she can pull
22+ city and 25+ average ,mixed driving

If you are not getting 17-18 average out of a basically stock
KJ you need to have it serviced

I disagree. If you have a KJ with the 42rle and you are not getting 17-18 mpg you need it serviced.
If you have an 03 or 02 with the 45 then you will get worse mileage. more like 16. I've had both, new.

I agree with the top of your post though. My wife had an 07 accord with the v6 and she got 25MPG consistently. 30 on the highway. It comes down to engineering.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. If you have a KJ with the 42rle and you are not getting 17-18 mpg you need it serviced.
If you have an 03 or 02 with the 45 then you will get worse mileage. more like 16. I've had both, new.

I agree with the top of your post though. My wife had an 07 accord with the v6 and she got 25MPG consistently. 30 on the highway. It comes down to engineering.

Now see I had the 45 RFE and got 1-2 better than
another guy with the same lift lighter tires and the 42RLE
I figured that was all due to the crappy first gear in the 42

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Explain how I was able to get 22mpg's on the highway with my KJ weighing 5500lbs doing 78mph,oh and with the 45RFE?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain how I was able to get 22mpg's on the highway with my KJ weighing 5500lbs doing 78mph,oh and with the 45RFE?

I'm Talkin city. I got 24 with the 03 and got about the same with my current. Now with the lift I don't give a flip.

Unless you two are clones JT I see no real correlation worth anything. I'm just telling you what my experience was.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm Talkin city. I got 24 with the 03 and got about the same with my current. Now with the lift I don't give a flip.

Unless you two are clones JT I see no real correlation worth anything. I'm just telling you what my experience was.
Well I can't comment on city driving as mine get's driven like it's stolen and it's all up hill here so yeah my city mpg's is worse then 18 wheeler hauling 40tons.I just don't drive "normal" in town,it's floored to the next stop light for me.