why am i get such terrible gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty 4x4 lifted on 265 65 16.
Everything is stock besides the lift and tires and has air bags for towing.
Its burning oil like crazy and gets around 10 mpg's. It has around 123,000 miles on it.
Any suggestions?

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty 4x4 lifted on 265 65 16. Everything is stock besides the lift and tires and has air bags for towing.

This will drop your mileage a bit right there.

Its burning oil like crazy and gets around 10 mpg's. It has around 123,000 miles on it.
Any suggestions?

Burning oil may suggest a fried head gasket, which would also ruin your compression and cause terrible gas mileage. With that mileage, definately a possibility you might want to entertain.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that bad mileage and jeep are partners in bed.

Shit mileage is what you get for a bullet proof drive train and a
vehicle that out performs all other SUV's in its class (except in
mileage lol).

I get shit mileage but its worth it. I would like to see a Yota Rav4 or
a Onda CRV follow me where I go. Those vehicles crap their pants
at the sight of off-road terrain. My jeep says BRING IT!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure a lift will cause a little drop but build it right and you'll be fine. After a little over 650 miles last weekend with everything from flat ground to hills in Southern Ohio I averaged 20.1
and you've seen mine tire wise, heavy front and rear bumpers etc etc
Maintenance and doing it right is the key
build it half a**ed and never doing any maintenance brings on the low mileage

Plus if the OP is burning oil fast then therein lies another issue

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol tjkj2002... love that emoticon.

I'm lifted and my hub centers to flare measurements are 21 front and 21.5 rear. I have noticed no change in mileage from stock. I put 31" tires on and again nothing really changed.

I will remind you that you did not buy a jeep for "good mileage"... who does that??
Its like trying to have a low fat diner when you've just bought a burger and fries.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol tjkj2002... love that emoticon.

I'm lifted and my hub centers to flare measurements are 21 front and 21.5 rear. I have noticed no change in mileage from stock. I put 31" tires on and again nothing really changed.

I will remind you that you did not buy a jeep for "good mileage"... who does that??
Its like trying to have a low fat diner when you've just bought a burger and fries.

Like the people that get a large Big Mac meal with a DIET coke? :happy175:

Like previously said, if you haven't already, regear to 4:10s. 3.73s are poopy at that tire size. Also check the obvious things...plugs & wires, oil change...etc etc. I see about a -1.5 MPG difference if I use lots of crappy gas (because that's about all there is in the city here)...then I put seafoam in my Heep's tank and gain that 1.5 MPG back. Clean fuel injectors are your friend!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 2 days commuting in my TJ
70 miles round trip I feel safe saying this
If you own a KJ and can not figure out a way to get
Reasonably good MPG ,for a Jeep, then you are a dumby
I can average 17 IN A TJ
That has the 4.0, 3 speed auto ,no OD, 3.73 gears
33" tall MT's ect. ect. oh and it weighs just a hair under
4,000 lbs
Now the reason I can do this
#1 it runs right
#2 proper tire PSI
#3 I keep my highway speed at about 60ish
which is probably the biggie
If I drove a KJ daily like this I could get well over 20

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second on the maintenance part - my CRD SHOULD burn oil, a 3.7 gasser shouldn't.

That engine has some definite issues. Get it straightened out, and you should see a definite improvement even with a lift and sucky gearing.

After all the major maintenance I recently did on my oilburner - alignment FINALLY done right, new Michelin LTX tires, new Monroe shocks and struts, new rear upper suspension arm, brakes and rotors redone all around, rear diff rebuilt with new bearings - back on Aug 10th, on a 3 hour run from San Antonio to Hillsboro up I-35, it knocked down 34.5 mpg, on Wally World diesel no less.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the major problem with my gas milage is that driving around 50 kills it. I only get about 14-16MPG doing 50, while when Im going about 65+, I can get over 22MPG. It seems no matter how far I drive, I still fill up in the same amount of time.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I always enjoy gas mileage,oil/filter choice,tire type threads. Would you track MPG of a Ferrari? These aren't crv/escape/rav junk.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always enjoy gas mileage,oil/filter choice,tire type threads. Would you track MPG of a Ferrari? These aren't crv/escape/rav junk.
I only track mine as it's a great advance warning on up coming issues,don't care what I get just a massive jump in mpg's without reason leads me to start digging to resolve a issue before it becomes a major issue.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19mpg or so here. I have a 6speed, with the 3.55 gears, so that could be a benefit to me. Even with the automatics, you need to make sure you are staying in the powerband to get max fuel economy at cruising speed. I'm keeping things in the 2500rpm range, or thereabouts. May help to not allow OD to engage at lower vehicle speeds. My main thing is to form a baseline as well, and if I see it plummet, then something's amiss at the circle K.