Which Year Liberty Should I Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a looks-like-new 2003 KJ 4WD Sport with only 84K miles (it now has 93K).
In the next year or so, I'm planning to give it to my Grandson... and because I like that truck so much, I think I might try to find another looks-like-new, low-miles Libby.
My question is, should I buy one of the last Gen1s (2007), or go for a Gen2 (2008-2012) model?
In your opinion, which are the best liked/reviewed models in those years?
Thanks!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with at the latest '05
They were the last model that didn't have all of the electronic BS
Although, it may be hard to find one that old with low miles but I'm sure it's possible

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 is my vote. only year you can get a 6 speed manual and a LSD from the factory

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both 04 limited and 2010 sport definitely stick with the KJ. KK are bigger yes but to much electronic bs .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My preference would be a KJ but if the KJ market isn't good and you find a really nice KK in good shape with the right options, I'd much rather have that than a beat up KJ.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My preference would be a KJ but if the KJ market isn't good and you find a really nice KK in good shape with the right options, I'd much rather have that than a beat up KJ.

Same here.

But, if I had my choice, I'd prefer an 02-04. I don't like the redesigned grille/foglights of the 05-07.

twolabs

Reaction score
Yep got a headache with my '06 grrrr
the dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree...ABS,ESP,BAS....it's in the shop now
oh well

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know very little compared to others on this forum, but I love the 2002 I recently picked up. Very basic, but easy to work on. No crazy electronics, only 2 airbags, no antilock brakes(some would count this as a neg), no tire pressure sensors, no O sensor after the cat, etc, etc. Used parts are a dime a dozen and I was easily able to add some creature comforts like cruise, a new stereo and rear audio controls. You probably won't find one with only 11,000 miles like I did, but low/lower mileage ones do come up every now and then.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-1 for the 07, especially if you want a stick shift. ******* throttle by wire is more ******** than hilldabeasts supporters.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know very little compared to others on this forum, but I love the 2002 I recently picked up. Very basic, but easy to work on. No crazy electronics, only 2 airbags, no antilock brakes(some would count this as a neg), no tire pressure sensors, no O sensor after the cat, etc, etc. Used parts are a dime a dozen and I was easily able to add some creature comforts like cruise, a new stereo and rear audio controls. You probably won't find one with only 11,000 miles like I did, but low/lower mileage ones do come up every now and then.

Thats the way I feel, once you get into the years that have antilock, etc then they get to be a huge pain in the butt.
I do enjoy them thar electric winders though............they go up, they go down,....wow

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to look for another one, I'd want an early build 03 for an automatic, or pretty much any year stick shift or CRD. Early build 03's and CRD's have better automatic transmissions (545RFE vs 42RLE).

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I went for a second KJ, I think I'd want a CRD... never owned a diesel before, could be fun. Do some sort of grease car conversion... run it on filtered french fry oil.

Although I'm now having flashbacks to all the issues VW diesel owners had when I worked at the dealership... bent con rods, injection pumps crapping out, faulty injectors, oops I put gasoline in it...

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never any electrical problems with my 07 knock on wood , and the only real downside so far is the ever present tpms light because aftermarket wheels.... if i could go back in time id look for a crd

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 with 175k on it 45trans is a beast. Everything else if pretty much the same through the years. They just started adding more electronics. Some love it some hate it. I hate electronic throttle. In laws got a dodge nitro with it. Can not keep the rpms steady at all for diagnostics.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone's saying CRD...but they seem pretty unreliable from what I've read.

I would have a CRD only for the "cool" factor.

Members online

No members online now.