Which direction should electric cooling fan blow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkG

Reaction score
Replaced my '03 Lib Renegade w/tow package electric cooling fan and it blows air towards the radiator and out the front grill. It's a two wire fan. This car also has the mechanical clutch fan which draws air towards the engine. Shouldn't the electric also be drawing air in from the front grill and through the radiator towards the engine to avoid defeating the purpose of the mechanical? Yes, I installed the fan in the housing correctly and even compared fan direction to the line drawings in the shop manual.

I've had this truck 4 years and honestly hadn't noticed what direction the old electric blew (if it ever worked). The mechanical fan clutch died recently so I replaced both at the same time. Which leads me to ask this question.

Obviously, the AC hasn't worked great since I bought it.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my '03 Lib Renegade w/tow package electric cooling fan and it blows air towards the radiator and out the front grill. It's a two wire fan. This car also has the mechanical clutch fan which draws air towards the engine. Shouldn't the electric also be drawing air in from the front grill and through the radiator towards the engine to avoid defeating the purpose of the mechanical? Yes, I installed the fan in the housing correctly and even compared fan direction to the line drawings in the shop manual.

I've had this truck 4 years and honestly hadn't noticed what direction the old electric blew (if it ever worked). The mechanical fan clutch died recently so I replaced both at the same time. Which leads me to ask this question.

Obviously, the AC hasn't worked great since I bought it.
Yes, electric fan should blow in through radiator toward engine, mine does. Mine is 3 wire and 05.

ehartz

Reaction score
If behind radiator, engine side, should pull through radiator. just reverse the two wires.

MarkG

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I didn't think it was correct. But hey, It's a Jeep.

MarkG

Reaction score
I just completed splice of the old connector into the new fan and fan niw socks air through the radiator and onto the engine. Guess I'm lucky as the new mechanical fan clutch kept the engine cool enough and PCM turned off the AC to not damage compressor or engine.

Yes, I sent a heads-up to the ebay vendor that he's selling junk. Since it's the July 4th holiday I gave him through the 6th to respond to my problem before I write them up in public comments. Here's pics. Old connector is on top. Blue and black wires are crossed.

Attachments

• 20230704_121238.jpg
    20230704_121238.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 8

MarkG

Reaction score
I just completed splice of the old connector into the new fan and fan now ***** air through the radiator and onto the engine. Guess I'm lucky as the new mechanical fan clutch kept the engine cool enough and PCM turned off the AC to not damage compressor or engine.

Yes, I sent a heads-up to the ebay vendor that he's selling junk. Since it's the July 4th holiday I gave him through the 6th to respond to my problem before I write them up in public comments. Here's pics. Old connector is on top. Blue and black wires are crossed.