Wheel Spacers, Rear Sway bar Removal.... Improve Handling ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 05 Lib's handling needs some major help ASAP. So much so, my wife feels it's not safe out on the highway when it is windy. She's pondering trading it in.

Yes, I know.... it's a high profile SUV and that's the nature of this beast. However, I've had a few other SUVs that didn't handle near as bad as our Liberty.

It only has 49k miles on it. I know new shocks would be a big improvement and is in the works. I've also researched wheel spacers. My wife is afraid wheel spacers will make the handling worse.

What's the verdict on wheel spacers ?

I've also read where folks have gone as far as to remove the rear sway bar to make our Liberty's handle better.

??

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing is the new springs/shocks all around if you have the means. Removing the rear sway bar seems to be a popular choice, but I don't know if that will help with highway handling in a crosswind. It will allow better rear suspension flex over big bumps though.

Wheel spacers are a bad idea, IMHO. If I remember correctly, they are actually illegal in some places due to safety concerns. Instead, I'd say go for some wheels with different backspacing, like the Cragar soft 8s, which stick out 1.5" further than stock wheels. Either way, you probably won't notice a difference in handling with the different backspacing, but it gives the Jeep a slightly more aggressive "look" and about a 3-in wider stance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
1-Better springs and shocks will help, stock springs are VERY weak to begin with
2-removing the sway bar does not help handeling helps articulation
3-You are unlifted so wheel spacers will not work as it will sit the wheels out and it will rub on the pinch weld and front bumper

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Inexpensive springs = crappy ride
OME springs 320 for 4
Shocks will be more than 200 if you buy ones worth anything
Buy cheap and you'll be back to square one in no time
buy quality and it will ride great and handle way better for thousands of miles

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inexpensive springs = crappy ride
OME springs 320 for 4
Shocks will be more than 200 if you buy ones worth anything
So at least $520 in parts + Labor costs..... = $750 or so....hmm, the boss won't like that....

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shut her up and tell her to get something else.
I put wheel spacers on mine this summer and I feel no difference.

suspension is a must but you might spend all that if she's not happy, which will most likely be the case if she has her mind set on something else...you just don't know about it yet lol
Have you considered trading HER in?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So at least $520 in parts + Labor costs..... = $750 or so....hmm, the boss won't like that....

No labor to speak of if you are nice and ask people to help. I know of at least 30 KJ lifts that were done in Ohio real cheap by asking others, providing some food etc. 20 of those have been done at my place and a few down in your area. That would make it cheaper as well

And don't cheap out on shocks get good ones and be done

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I don't understand. Coming from a fully built mustang I still don't think the KJ has a handling problem.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't either, I had a couple of modded, lowered Neons. I wonder what kind of tires the OP has. They are part of the spring package too. If it has OEM Goodyear Wrangler STs, any new tire is a vast improvement in ride and handling.

Katmandu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No labor to speak of if you are nice and ask people to help.

I know of at least 30 KJ lifts that were done in Ohio real cheap by asking others, providing some food etc. 20 of those have been done at my place and a few down in your area. That would make it cheaper as well.
Sounds like a good reason for a pizza party!

Can the job be done in a driveway or is a lift required ?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get OME springs and bilstein shocks. She'll put up a fuss, but will love you after. Your tires, probably ready to be replaced, not real sure how firestones last.

Taking the rear swaybar out will help you off-road by allowing more travel in the suspension. ...more flex. It softens the bumps you may clip when turning too. I remember feeling like the rear was going get ripped off with the stock suspension. OME springs helps, but taking the swaybar out made it even better for me. Its personal preference. For you right now, keep it in, I think it will make the ride even worse especially if she's complaining about crosswinds.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason for a pizza party!

Can the job be done in a driveway or is a lift required ?

I have done them in my garage no lift, did one down at Marietta (Ohio) College student parking lot, so they can be done almost anywhere:shrug:
have never used a real lift to do one no need for it

Latest posts

Members online