Wheel Bearing Howl?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not long ago after I rotated my tires I noticed an increase in the road noise, practically a howl. I thought it was the result of the aggressive tread on my AT tires. So yesterday I tried mounting some all season 235/70/R16 tires. I was quite surprised when I heard the same howling. So the only thing left must be the one of the front wheel unit bearings. Have you fellows experienced this before?

The sound seems to be coming from under my feet and since it gets worst at highway speeds when I turn a bit to the right I'm assuming it's the left wheel unit bearing that's failed.

I've found a replacement and this afternoon I'm replacing it. I've done this job before on a YJ so it really shouldn't be much different.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WoW, I couldn't believe how bad my bearing unit was. With the front end in the air I could wobble the driver's side wheel. With it out and sitting on the floor I could also feel how rough the bearings were.

The job was pretty straight forward and easy to do. The biggest problem we had was finding a set of inverted Torx bits to remove the three Torx bolts that hold the bearing on.

The test drive after was so so quiet. Well worth the $300 for the bearing unit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do a few each week,mostly late model GM pickup/SUV with bigger then stock tires.Can always bet(and win) on almost every GM pickup/SUV either one of the hub bearings is bad and/or the idler arm and/or the pitman arm is bad,sometimes all of it's bad(nice big ticket for all and super easy).

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it like trucks and old cars where you can repack the bearings?

No, I guess one has to change the whole hub/bearing assembly as a whole.

52128692AE - Right
52128693AE - Left

But one can always try to remove the bearing from the old hub... who knows.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got the new assembly installed. Got a any pics?
Just curious, how many miles on KJ before front bearings went?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it like trucks and old cars where you can repack the bearings?

On Extreme 4x4 this past weekend they explained how you can install a "free wheeling" lockable hub in your truck to replace the expensive wheel unit bearings. The new bearings can be rebuilt/repacked whereas the unit bearings can't. I can't even consider that idea until I do a SFA.

My unit bearing cost only $300. One for a larger 3/4 ton pickup truck with ABS is likely way more.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks guys. I get bored with so little to do with maintenance on the kj after helping my brother with our small fleet of work trucks.

I have my cable box set to record every new episode of trucks and extreme.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice...yeah, i've done a bearing on a Ford Taurus...similar issue...it sounded like a warped rotor or cupping tread on a tire.

after replacing it, nice, quiet, smooth ride. inverted torx eh? now there's another set of tools i'll have to buy...lol

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for nothin' but I just went through this and it turned out to be the u joints in the rear drive shaft. They were toast even though they were still tight. Replacing them is a lot cheaper if you're just WAGin' it.

Just sayin'...

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is curious how rear u-joints can make a sound coming from the front of the jeep... i noticed my howling has gotten louder and goes away in corners and such... guess I gotta lift it off the ground and start shaking stuff... seems like it's coming from the right, hopefully only have to replace that one

MarkH

Reaction score
For the front bearing hubs, is that an E14 for the hub bolts & a 35 or 36mm for the axle nut?

Mine has a little loose play in it --only 1-2mm in & out-- IS THAT ALL IT TAKES TO BE A PROBLEM?
...I believe that's where the "howl" is coming from... front left... The front right one is solid as a rock...

Thanx!

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up two used bearing hub assemblies from the salvage yard for $100 (they guarantee that they will work fine)... may not be new, but it should get me to Oregon and back next week... E14? hoping someone will verify that tomorrow before I go poking around and start buying tools

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't know if they weren't going as a pair. I am doing an 1800 mile trip next week towing a trailer. since I wasn't totally certain it was just one bearing, or which one it was (i had noise turning both ways), I did them both, and the price was definitely right for the pair for $100 from the wrecking yard. So, I figured I'd get them both out of the way. both of my upper ball joints were going at the same time though... replaced the really bad one, the other has miniscule play, hoping it will last til I can afford the expensive aftermarket ones

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ABS units work on either side too... my new ones came off of a 2003. we used an air hammer from the back side to bust my old ones out. no amount of pounding would pop the rusted units free, and we didn't have a hub puller.
On a side note, I think my Jeep originaly came from michigan. Has a lot more surface rust on bare bolts and screws and chassis than I like. I'm not sure how I missed your write up. Think it was during the time frame that I was working my butt off to make enough money to replace my parts and other stuff

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, and my used units came with the speed sensors and wires, which was a good thing because when I tried to remove mine, they broke, too much rust locking the plastic into the hub

Members online