2006 Liberty Front End Howl - Not a wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TayJeep

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2006 Liberty that started the front end howl at around 30 mph and gets louder with speed. It sounds like it's the right front and when I turn right it lessens or goes away.....I assume right wheel bearing since the noise was right so I replaced the right front wheel bearing and that was not it. I don't want to just throw parts and money at it since Im selling it but id like to fix it. Front axles seem ok with very little play. I did check the LF wheel bearing for play and nothing. Could this be the right side axle? not sure what else is there to make that noise. Any help would be appreciated.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get under there and give the can behind the inner cv a jiggle, it should have very little play. If it's loose good chance that's the issue, it it doesn't move at all that again could be the issue. Usually they wear and get sloppy, sometimes they rust solid.. If it's not been replaced before good chance it's overdue on a 2006. You'll want a reman cv axle from Napa and a new intermediate shaft. Lots of writeups here on this site. I'd suggest replacing the shaft "bearing" with a needle bearing and a new seal while you're there if that axle indeed is the issue.

TayJeep

Reaction score
Get under there and give the can behind the inner cv a jiggle, it should have very little play. If it's loose good chance that's the issue, it it doesn't move at all that again could be the issue. Usually they wear and get sloppy, sometimes they rust solid.. If it's not been replaced before good chance it's overdue on a 2006. You'll want a reman cv axle from Napa and a new intermediate shaft. Lots of writeups here on this site. I'd suggest replacing the shaft "bearing" with a needle bearing and a new seal while you're there if that axle indeed is the issue.
Thank you for the feedback. I did try to wiggle both RH and LH CV and they moved just a little bit. What I would consider normal but I am just guessing there. It still may be the issue though. I'm at the point where I may just take it somewhere to diagnose it, then depending on what it is I can do it myself or have them do. Just not wanting to drop a bunch of money on it.

cindysjeep

Reaction score
I had similar noises from my front end and no play in the CV joints. Replaced the half axles anyway and that fixed it.
I also notice that there are some small heat shield between the lower ball joint and the rotor, that if dislodge could rub on the rotor.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my front bearing to fix the noise I was 100% convinced I had the correct side -- until I replaced it and the noise did not go away and had to replace the other side. How many miles? The wheel bearings are a maintenance item in my opinion, and I would not totally rule out that you need to replace the other side.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced one side’s wheel bearing and found I needed to replace the other side also. I guess it is not uncommon. The wheel bearings have the same mileage on them so the other is probably not far behind in any event.

Latest posts

Members online