What Trans my 2006 Liby have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 2006 Jeep Liby Limited 3.7L w/Select Trac..
Is there somewhere on the Jeep it is labeled or a quick way to tell by looking at the system.

Trying to determine so I know what filter kit I need..

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Filter kit from Wix came with a canister, a plastic thing and a pan seal. So I wont use the canister thing?

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yip, the spin on filter is for the 45RFE, the other pan filter won't fit.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 42RFE from what I can tell was very early Liby's and squared liby's (new style).. But the 05-07's it appears all the part lookups think it has a 545RFE. On Wikipedia it says both trans were used throughout. How do I know definately what trans I have.

Both Summit Racing site and Wix site is telling me Wix 58843 or 58846 which is for the 45RFE.

Here is the WIX link
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterloo...2095&TempEngine=&TempSubModel=0&TempYear=2006

Here is the Summit Racing Link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/W...Year|2006|Make|JEEP|Model|LIBERTY&prefilter=1

I been very gentle on the Jeep and I actually had the trans fluid changed (no filter change) about a year ago. It only has 30K on it now. But I am going to drive it long distance soon and want to have the the filter changed and fluid replaced.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 42RFE from what I can tell was very early Liby's and squared liby's (new style).. But the 05-07's it appears all the part lookups think it has a 545RFE. On Wikipedia it says both trans were used throughout. How do I know definately what trans I have.

Both Summit Racing site and Wix site is telling me Wix 58843 or 58846 which is for the 45RFE.

Here is the WIX link
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterloo...2095&TempEngine=&TempSubModel=0&TempYear=2006

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/W...Year|2006|Make|JEEP|Model|LIBERTY&prefilter=1

I been very gentle on the Jeep and I actually had the trans fluid changed (no filter change) about a year ago. It only has 30K on it now. But I am going to drive it long distance soon and want to have the the filter changed and fluid replaced.
Do not believe wikipedia.

There is no such thing as a 42RFE,it's the 42RLE and was used in all auto KJ's from mid '03-'07 and all current KK's.The 45RFE was used '02-mid '03 KJ's and all auto CRD's('05-'06).

Just order the filter kit for a '05 Wrangler,it has the same trans as you do.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is the WIX link

Both of those listings are incorrect - your Jeep has the 42RLE transmission. No doubts, no second guessing.

One other way to confirm the ****** model is to count the number of bolts on the transmission pan - the 42RLE has 13 bolts, the 45RFE has 15 bolts.

Hope this helps...

Bob

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I went out and read all the labels on the jeep. It said I had a 3.7L engine (no new news) but nothing said specifics so I posted here. Thanks. I went and swapped at the part store for the right filter. I hope ATP makes good filters.

The only thing my Liby has let me down on was window regulators and I am good at swapping them out. The only major thing was it smoked through its tires in 20K, so I had alignment checked and said it needed a casterkit. So I had it done and aligned and put on some Scorpion tires. I am getting alot of rattle from my passenger door speaker but we dont play music loud so I am thinking the plastic backing on the door is interfering with the speaker making a buzz on deaper base parts but if speaker is blown I will put some Infinity in. But the Liby has been very good to us. I put JTA shorty headers, Maganaflow Catback, and did a custom forced air induction mod to my airbox that scoops cold air from the grip around radiator into the side of the airbox.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No exterior mods to the Jeep. So just picture a white 2006 Jeep Liby Limited.. With Scorpion tires. Looks bone stock.. I want to put some KC daylighters on my bumper but havent figured a way to mount them. Looks like the bumper is all rubberized plastic with honeycone plastic core.. But exterior is stock. Want pictures of the airbox mod or headers?

Yeah the alignment was wacked. Before I deployedI noticed my tires wearing funny. My wife said her friend was coming from Japan to visit and hang out. So I knew she would be driving all over. So I ordered some tires through Tirerack.com and decided to go with Perreli Scorpions matching same size that was on it. And told her to take it to the base auto hobby shop and have them do it. The guy saw the old tires and asked her if she wanted alignment checked. I said ok. It was way out, then when it was being done he couldnt get the left caster right. The alignment cost $50. So when I got back, the nearest jeep/dodge place is like 50 miles. I went and spoke to the guy who did the alignment. He said he got it better but wasnt perfect but the tire wear problem was fixed. So when we went on christmas vacation we drove to my parents house 1300 miles away.. And there was a jeep dealer near them so I left it with them and told them what was up. They replaced/aligned. Drove back, and no abnormal tire wear.

That is really "her jeep" my vehicle is a 1963 Ford Falcon wagon..

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys.. Here is my um wifes race ride.. You wanted to see it..
You must be registered for see images attach

Im not going to blow up this forum with a ton of pics. But if you want to see my forced air induction, you can goto my photo book.
https://picasaweb.google.com/108354062366990467864/September92011

But here is my other race ride
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOVE that Falcon! :party52:

Oh yea, the Jeep is nice too! :smokin:

Seriously, that is a sweet Falcon wagon. Looks funny to even type that a wagon looks great but the color, wheels, tires and OUTSTANDING bodywork pulls it all together.

Welcome to the Forum!

Bob

Members online

No members online now.