what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am going to upgrade my cd player what are some things i should look for? i plan to upgrade my speakers in the future too. keeping that in mind what are some good ones?

i like the looks of the sony cdx-gt130, here are the specs ( i dont know anything about power out put and whats good or bad so...)

• 24bit Digital-to-Analog Converter
  • Radio Tuner with 18 FM and 12 AM Station Presets
  • CD player with CD-R/RW playback
  • Clock
  • Red Key Illumination
  • Color: 2007 Gun Metallic
  • Front Aux-In Analog Audio Input
  • Aerial Input Antenna Terminal
  • Speaker Audio outputs with sure seal connectors
  • Power amplifier control terminal Output
  • Output Power: 52W x4 High Power-23.2 watts per channel minimum continuous average power into 4 Ohms, 4 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 5% total harmonic distortion
  • LCD screen Technology
  • Black 13 segment LED display
  • DRIVE-S Chassis
  • Detachable Faceplate with Front Aux Input
  • Rear/Sub selectable Preout with HPF/LPF

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for CD-R/RW MP3-WMA capable, Front Aux in, Front USB in, 3 set of pre amp outputs (front, rear, and subwoofer), and FM sensitivity under 10 dBf. If you have or plan on getting an IPOD one with an IPOD controller.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only two things I cared for when I was getting mine was the ability to put more bass to the current liberty speakers, since they are capable of handling more than the stock radio puts, and the ability to plug in USB drive and listen from it.

With ExBass and Rear USB Wire that I could extend to glove box, I went with Excelon X590 from Kenwood. I am very happy with it. It has been exactly 2 years.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks 12a.m.lib.

bass is why i want to upgrade my system, i like the features of that kenwood but im not sure about the looks im on the fence. its not ugly, but i dont know...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just works. I know Kenwood face is not the most advanced, but the sound it puts out is great. I didn't really like Sony because of their knobs, felt too loose.
Why not go with Pioneer or Alpine?

Just took a peek at yours.. I really do not recommend going with one that has USB on the face, if you really end up using it, you will know why.

You must be registered for see images attach

Either you will have a USB stick sticking out of the face, that may get hit while you are wrestling in the cabin, or a long cord that will extend to your external hard drive, both cases, tangle and disorder in the cab! :) Plus, front collects more dust and looks like this doesn't have a cover. Kenwood, and Aplines have USB and AUX on the back with at least 3ft long cable.

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

this is the one i was talking about. i dont know if its all that great but i like the way it looks, subtle but better than factory. i dont have a preference for any brand at this point, i just want some good. im taking notes and will eventually make a decision. i did forget to mention i want i pod compatibility im absolutely sick of the crappy transmitters...

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

* MULTI-FUNCTION remote control
* Graphic equalizer
* Auto loading CD player

* Anti-Shock ESP CD play
* ID3 tag support

* AUX input for iPod / DVD cable included

* 45W x 4 high power output 180 watts

* 1 pair of RCA line out

* Digital electronic PLL tuning
* 1 universal installation kit

i liked this one too

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone that has tried Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, JVC and now Alpine I truefully prefer my Alpine over any that I have used.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like with the USB in. The Sony deck I got had a cap for the USB when there wasn't a drive in there. Oh and VR3 is very low quality brand.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

this is the one i was talking about. i dont know if its all that great but i like the way it looks, subtle but better than factory. i dont have a preference for any brand at this point, i just want some good. im taking notes and will eventually make a decision. i did forget to mention i want i pod compatibility im absolutely sick of the crappy transmitters...

I just installed this same head unit in the Libby. JMO, For the money it's pretty sick!!!rockon.gif Tucked the ipod cable under the center consol. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the CD holder/crap collector aka (arm rest) That's where the ipod stays pluged in 24/7. Till it needs to be charged. Sorry no pics as of yet.

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb I have always used, try to get a head unit that has the same lighting color as your dash lights. This way they blend together better at night.

I recently picked up a mid to low-range Pioneer and it works really well. One requirement I had was the Aux input in the front, this allows the simple hookup of any MP3 player.

I second the notion that VR3 is a poor quality product. I would stick to a reputable brand like Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Kenwood etc. I actually used to be hooked on JVC, but it seems their quality has also dropped in the last 5 years.

Just my .02...

Hey MidnightLiberty, I see your NFL sticker, dare I ask what team you root for?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard a lot of good things about the Kenwood Excelon, I have a kenwood and I love it!...just gotta find a remote for it

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I didn't like with my kenwood was the menu system and the lack of Clock display. The software is pretty annoying at first, but once you get used to it, you do away with those missing stuff like buying a digital clock :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I am talking about the one I have, it is single line. The one you gave link to is a different unit.

Oh, and you can make it display clock, what I meant was that you could not have both.
On mine either clock, or title, or artist or album all the time.
If I leave it on clock display, I don't know who is playing (it only displays first 5 seconds, then returns to clock) but I bought $0.99 digital clock from 99cent store, solved my problems. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would go well with the lift! :D :D

Or something like this for more serious crowd:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the Kenwood receiver is a pretty good deal. However; if you can wait a week you will probably find a killer deal on Black Friday. The Hello Kitty clock will probably be like $5.99 too.:cool:
Hey MidnightLiberty, I see your NFL sticker, dare I ask what team you root for?

Umm, I don't know. :D