Warning - Adding amplifiers to MyGig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up folks.

I've got the MyGiG RER on my 08 Liberty (that's the mygig with NAV).

It has the stock infinity system (amp, sub, speakers).

I wanted to keep the head unit (why not? - great navigation, sirius, steering wheel controls, bluetooth, hard drive, what more could you want?) but I replaced all the speakers, subwoofer, and added aftermarket amps.

Trying to get the aftermarket amps to work with the factory headunit has been a challenge.

Here is why - no RCA output from the headunit, no powered speaker wires to use a line level converter, and no remote turn-on wire.

So I figured, why not just find an accessory switched wire to turn on the amps, and then take the powered speaker wires from the amplifier to use a line out converter with?

Sounds great in theory. The problem is the factory amp is crossed over internally. This means that you have your front signals split into high and lows, and the rear is full range. Therefore, if you are using a line out converter with the front channel, you will only get highs or lows, but not both.

So why not just use the rear full-range? That's what I did, and then found out that all the navigation sounds, as well as your cell phone audio goes through the front high range. This means you will not be able to hear your navigation audio, or cell phone audio. Which basically renders your bluetooth useless.

So I ordered PACs adapter for the MyGIG with infinity system to get a set of RCAs out from the front. It's pricey at about $100, but I thought worth it so I could use my bluetooth, which is now law here in British Columbia.

When I hooked this up - the remote turn on wire doesn't work, and every time you turn the vehicle on you get BLASTED at max volume for about 10 seconds, and the volume control will NOT turn down.

After a lengthy phone call with PAC, they have informed me that they are getting many complaints about this, and that they have now decided that this adapter is NOT compatible with the MyGig with Navigation.

So a warning, don't use this adapter if you are trying to get RCA output from the factory headunit - it won't work.

The solution I have come to is to use an 8 channel line out converter with internal summing. This is the PCH8 from Peripheral. It take up to 8 channels (highs, lows, mids, subs - whatever) and combines them into a full range signal that you can send to your amps via the RCA outputs.

Hope this is helpful to some of you out there with a similar dilemma.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the amp and everything is inside of the head unit? Even with the infinity system on the KK? Ive always wondered why they didnt do that instead of trying to put amps in the doors.

Im surprised you got anything out of PAC. I tried to call them for help and they just said I had it hooked up wrong and didnt listen to me trying to tell them their instructions were wrong. After calling them I sent them an email explaining what was wrong with the instructions and what I had to do to get the adaptor to work. They sent an email back saying I need to call their support for help.. Idiots, I didnt need help, I was telling them what was wrong with their instructions! I was hooking up their steering wheel control adaptor btw.

Adonis BHK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope - amp is in the rear passenger panel, behind the subwoofer.

The deck sends a 'signal' to the amplifier via the canbus system I think.

You can't tap into the speaker leads from the headunit, as there are no 'speaker leads' to speak of. While I've come across wiring diagrams that say otherwise, I tried this, and it DID NOT work. So don't waste your time anybody.

Therefore, the only way to use a line out converter with this system it to take the factory amplified leads from the amp output (which are front high, front low, rear full, and subwoofer) sum them, and then convert them to RCA output.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The volume control is in the amp.... very common in today's BUS systems. JL Audio's CleanSweep would've done the job and cleaned up the assie equalization.