Infinity Sound System-Speaker Distortion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I searched for quite some time and read a few threads but never got an answer to a question I have. I have an 03 KJ Limited with the infinity sound system. The speakers in this system get distorted badly at higher volumes and I wanted to find out how easy/hard it is to upgrade this system. I have already replaced the front speakers with 6.5" Polk Audio DXI 650 marine grade speakers. Is the deck powerful enough, or should I get a replacement, and then do I have to do a full re-wire in order to replace the speakers with aftermarket? I am not looking for some crazy sound system, I just want something that does not distort over volume level 20. What are possible reasonably priced upgrades for this system? Thanks for any help.
-Jake.
BTW I am great with wiring, but I have little to no clue on what components are involved in stereo replacement. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have some partially blown speakers. I would check out Alpine for replacement speakers. They make good stuff thats not ridiculously expensive. As far as wiring. You don't necessarily have to re-wire, but it's always a good idea. Just do it with good quality wire. You'll get better connections and better sound. Not sure about the stock deck. Mine had already been swapped when I got my KJ. But I say, if you're going to rip the deck out to re-wire anyway, you might as well upgrade it...will only help things.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paper cones will have ripped away from the metal frame on your speakers. I had exactly that problem and just fitted Sony speakers, then mounted the amp off the back of the original speaker to the door, or you could tape it to the magnet on the new speaker. I am pretty sure they are 6.5 inch speakers.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similar problem, front 2 speakers are completely blown, back 2 are hanging in there. i came up with this list for a complete overhaul. i dont have the time or the tools to do it myself so im looking around for a good shop. no luck so far. was thinking in the future of putting a sub in the back but i need the cargo space. so i was thinking of either of somehow strapping it to the ceiling or even cutting into the panel below the window in the cargo area in order for it to fit. idk if it will even work just an idea.

see if this helps, there customer service is excellent. real people that are there to help you instead of a computer or some office drone spewing random crap.

Crutchfield Cart