I got ideas. now for some answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello everyone! hope youre all enjoying your holiday.

now to business.

1. i want to get a new more aggressive and powerful sounding muffler. the thing is i dont want it to be loud and obnoxious except when i lay the hammer down, otherwise just "relatively" quiet and controlled. video of kj's (preferably) with the muffler you recommend would be nice.

2. i want to mount some hellas on my front bumper for added visibility at night and for the looks as of well :icon_smile: i was thinking of the kits that are sold with all the wiring and switches included and i saw that amazon had the cheapest for this at like $64. would the kit be the right way to go or just buy it all separately? and the thing i need the most help with is mounting, are there any diagrams or videos for help as im not the handyest of all people and it would help if i had a visual.

3. i have about 70k mi on my 04 kj as of now and want to know when i should replace my springs because i want to do an OME/Bilstein lift and its either when funds come in or the coils blow out so i wanna know what i should plan on.

4. and a quick audio question. when buying subwoofers you buy the amp based on the continuous power the sub can take right? im planning on doing two 10" subs. so do i need a mono or two channel amp? the amp i have now only has one output so if i wanted to put two subs on it could i just do some crafty speaker wire splicing or do i need a new amp then?

thanks

Sal

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
3. Coils nor shocks will '"blow out" really....but they are definitely worn out. I'd replace them ASAP!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
hello everyone! hope youre all enjoying your holiday.

now to business.

1. i want to get a new more aggressive and powerful sounding muffler. the thing is i dont want it to be loud and obnoxious except when i lay the hammer down, otherwise just "relatively" quiet and controlled. video of kj's (preferably) with the muffler you recommend would be nice.
Thrush Glaspac
http://youtu.be/GUYdt9T3e2U

2. i want to mount some hellas on my front bumper for added visibility at night and for the looks as of well :icon_smile: i was thinking of the kits that are sold with all the wiring and switches included and i saw that amazon had the cheapest for this at like $64. would the kit be the right way to go or just buy it all separately? and the thing i need the most help with is mounting, are there any diagrams or videos for help as im not the handyest of all people and it would help if i had a visual.

3. i have about 70k mi on my 04 kj as of now and want to know when i should replace my springs because i want to do an OME/Bilstein lift and its either when funds come in or the coils blow out so i wanna know what i should plan on.
Rev.Mudd's advice is the way to go pretty much $700 will put you in the right spot.
4. and a quick audio question. when buying subwoofers you buy the amp based on the continuous power the sub can take right? im planning on doing two 10" subs. so do i need a mono or two channel amp? the amp i have now only has one output so if i wanted to put two subs on it could i just do some crafty speaker wire splicing or do i need a new amp then?
Rap ain't my thing
thanks

Sal
See reply's above

Last edited:

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best kj muffler is the flowmaster super 44 in my opinion. lots of people run them. i do and you barely hear it in the Jeep at highway and city speeds but it grunts the second you touch the gas. sounds great outside the Jeep

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4: You do want to buy an amp based on the RMS rating of your subs, not the peak. You need to try and match within the upper 75% of the subs rating. IE: The sub can handle 100 RMS you want to get at the very least 75 RMS. This is also going to be subjective to the voltage rating, most amps are rated at 14v but most cars will only supply 12ish. So more power is always a good thing. As for the monoblock Vs 2-channel, either will work depending on how you wire it. Wiring to a 2-channel is a little more direct and simple, and if you choose a single channel make sure to choose one that provides enough power for both subs.

here is a link the the Crutchfield Learning center, a lot of good info about how to set up an amp and sub combination.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3. Coils nor shocks will '"blow out" really....but they are definitely worn out. I'd replace them ASAP!

ok ill get on that. but quick question, could i buy just OME coils and not worry about shocks and still get lift or no? i guess im asking why do i need both for a lift when one works fine?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the front, you'd get by (still use the same size front shock w/ lift)...wouldn't ride nice, but nothing wrong with that mechanically. For the rear, you need longer shocks with the OME coils... :)

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4: You do want to buy an amp based on the RMS rating of your subs, not the peak. You need to try and match within the upper 75% of the subs rating. IE: The sub can handle 100 RMS you want to get at the very least 75 RMS. This is also going to be subjective to the voltage rating, most amps are rated at 14v but most cars will only supply 12ish. So more power is always a good thing. As for the monoblock Vs 2-channel, either will work depending on how you wire it. Wiring to a 2-channel is a little more direct and simple, and if you choose a single channel make sure to choose one that provides enough power for both subs.

here is a link the the Crutchfield Learning center, a lot of good info about how to set up an amp and sub combination.

ok thanks. im not sure if you forgot or just gave the wrong link but the crutchfield one only takes me to the home page.

2ndly assuming i bought a mono amp and it had only one port for speaker wire how would i wire in 2 subs? wha do you recommend?

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the link i think you were looking for: http://www.crutchfield.com/app/learn/article/default.aspx?aid=1319
and another to fully answer some of your other questions about the subs: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers/shopping_guide.html?g=500&tp=13
Personally i run two 12" subs off of a two channel amp with the the channels bridged together to run a low ohm it all powers out to rms about 2000 watts at 2 ohms. My suggestion to make your wiring very simple is get a two channel amp and run the two channels and just make sure that your rms wattage matches up on both ends and run the same ohms. But you can easily run two subs off a good mono amp.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ok ill get on that. but quick question, could i buy just OME coils and not worry about shocks and still get lift or no? i guess im asking why do i need both for a lift when one works fine?

Replace the shocks along with springs, the shocks are more than lilley due anyways so why would you want junk shocks and new springs? One it would cause the springs to sag faster since they would be working harder and two it would not ride well with worn shocks
Think this way , you want to upgrade the suspension system

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the shocks along with springs, the shocks are more than lilley due anyways so why would you want junk shocks and new springs? One it would cause the springs to sag faster since they would be working harder and two it would not ride well with worn shocks
Think this way , you want to upgrade the suspension system

ok thanks for clearing this up. just was curious. and i wont forget bumpstops i know how you feel about that :rofl: after reading about lifts and all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on over to one of our M&Gs
we'll take you for a ride and let you see and feel the difference

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most always have someone from Akron/Canton/Cleveland over when we have them. Also had one at Summit racing last month so may try and get another one over that way again as well