What to do with my exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lobot

Reaction score
So about a month ago I decided to cut off my muffler and a thrush glass pack. I did some reasearch to find out about the kj's exhaust system as well as the glasspack itself and I made sure to get a longer size than the muffler. Get everything I need and proceed to cut the muffler right where the pipes go into the muffler and replace with the glasspack (catalytic converters are still on). I slid the glasspack over the existing pipes and used exhaust U-bolts to clamp it on.

Apparently I didn't do enough research because there is now a 1/4 inch gap between the stock pipe and my glasspack (resulted from having the 2 1/4 inch wide pipe that came stock and a 2 1/2 inch wide glasspack). Sadly I believe it is this gap that has created as much as I'm ashamed to say this:sad72:, the sound of a v6 lawnmower. I am by no means happy with this and I really don't want to make my kj a big joke so I would you all of you fine people's opinions/experiences and or ideas.

I do have people that can weld it for me or I have considered straight piping it as I do like how it sounds. I have conserns about the back pressure hurting my car, but like I said above I do have my cats still on so I have no clue if that helps in any way.

Thank you for any help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Right at the muffler it necks down to 2.25 inches, go back a couple of inches and its 2.5 inches
Glasspacks are not the best sound on a 6 popper
unless you have a split manifold on a 250 Chevy 6 with Smithys

Lobot

Reaction score
Okay thank you I'll cut it back. Now do you think I should keep the glasspack then or just straight pipe it?

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really lose a lot of low end torque if you straight pipe? How does that sound on a KJ anyway? I want a Magnaflow but the straight pipe is much more economic...

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really lose a lot of low end torque if you straight pipe? How does that sound on a KJ anyway? I want a Magnaflow but the straight pipe is much more economic...

It sounds like geese farts on a muggy day...:emotions34:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Borla kit sounds pretty good on these things, I have a write up with pictures. I get lucky and found one on ebay that was being seriously discounted.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
really because its surprisingly quiet at highway speed for me. theres a little drone but not unbearable

Lookup "Flowmaster droning" lots of people have the same issue
Dynamax no problems and sounds better than the Flowmaster

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how about the story of losing low end torque from a straight pipe, any truth to that?
And it looks like the Dynamax is better than the Magnaflow, Yay or ney?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So how about the story of losing low end torque from a straight pipe, any truth to that?
And it looks like the Dynamax is better than the Magnaflow, Yay or ney?

Yes there is , you need some extra back pressure that a muffler provides
Buddy tried it for a while just to see and according to him ( and also what I have read online) there is a loss of power

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land sakes, but these youngsters are hell-bent on anything but stock OEM parts! Even with lipstick, a pig is still a pig...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookup "Flowmaster droning" lots of people have the same issue
Dynamax no problems and sounds better than the Flowmaster

Right now I have a Borla dual catback on my KJ and no drone. Was on it when I bought it >80 k ago. On a more related note, I have a Dynomax cat back on my 4.0L OHV Ranger with the Superflo welded muffler and it sounds great with no drone at highway speeds (and way beyond). Dynomax is way cheaper and the quality was better than I expected. Had a dual catback from Heartthrob before that. That one was wild, with only muffler tips. They have a reasonable 2.5" single kit for the KJ too. I'd vote for the Dynomax!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now I have a Borla dual catback on my KJ and no drone. Was on it when I bought it >80 k ago. On a more related note, I have a Dynomax cat back on my 4.0L OHV Ranger with the Superflo welded muffler and it sounds great with no drone at highway speeds (and way beyond). Dynomax is way cheaper and the quality was better than I expected. Had a dual catback from Heartthrob before that. That one was wild, with only muffler tips. They have a reasonable 2.5" single kit for the KJ too. I'd vote for the Dynomax!

Borla is a good exhaust system JUST super expensive for most

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so getting the 14 dollar muffler at the garage sale for an 84 civic is no good?

damn i was looking forward to the enjen fart pipe./