Regarding Lift Spacers on New OEM Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LondonLew

Reaction score
I want to add a small lift to an 04 Limited 3.7. I don't have a ton of money to throw at the project at this point in time.

I'm rebuilding the suspension anyway, from the frame out front and rear both sides. Shes an old girl and was getting tired so I want tot give her some love. I recently replaced the head gaskets so I know it wont just disintegrate in the next few years for no reason. I was thinking of getting all new suspension, probably Detroit Diesel because I know their quality and I've used them before

Now the point of the post. Would it be reasonable if I got a good quality (Steel, well made) spacer set, 2.5" top hat at most a, and a new longer upper control arm for alignment. Everything else would be stock. I'm looking to maximize the lifespan of this setup until I can upgrade and do it right lol.

Also to get ahead of the replies, I know it isn't ideal, and that you should get a proper suspension lift ect, ect. I just don't have to money at the moment, and by the time this setup inevitably causes issues I will be able to 'do it right' and get a real OME lift or something of the sort.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2.5” tall spacer would give you 2.5” of lift in the rear, but it would lift 5” at the wheel in the front, which is too much for the IFS. 2.5” total lift would be about ideal and would not require JBA upper control arms to align (although you should get some when you upgrade). 2.5” should allow you to run 245/75R16’s (31’s) without too much rubbing. The pinch weld in the front wheel wells can be pounded over (not cut off) to give the wheels a little more space.

Last edited:

LondonLew

Reaction score
A 2.5” tall spacer would give you 2.5” of lift in the rear, but it would lift 5” at the wheel in the front, which is too much for the IFS. 2.5” total lift would be about ideal and would not require JBA upper control arms to align (although you should get some when you upgrade). 2.5” should allow you to run 245/75R16’s (31’s) without too much rubbing. The pinch weld in the front wheel wells can be pounded over (not cut off) to give the wheels a little more space.
So what length spacers would match up? I'm confused how that would give so much lift in the front and not the back.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s because the spring (and spacer) are closer to the fulcrum of the lever that is the IFS control arm. Basically one unit of length there translates into two units of lift at the wheels, which are further out from the fulcrum. Hope that makes sense.

If you buy a 2.5” spacer lift kit, the front spacers should be shorter than the rears to account for this. Unless maybe they give you more front lift to eliminate the nose-down factory rake and make your Jeep closer to level.

LondonLew

Reaction score
It’s because the spring (and spacer) are closer to the fulcrum of the lever that is the IFS control arm. Basically one unit of length there translates into two units of lift at the wheels, which are further out from the fulcrum. Hope that makes sense.

If you buy a 2.5” spacer lift kit, the front spacers should be shorter than the rears to account for this. Unless maybe they give you more front lift to eliminate the nose-down factory rake and make your Jeep closer to level.
Took me three days but I understand what you mean now. Is there a chart or equal lift heights for spacers somewhere or would it just be a straightforward 1" difference or something like that?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took me three days but I understand what you mean now. Is there a chart or equal lift heights for spacers somewhere or would it just be a straightforward 1" difference or something like that?
The height of a front lift spacer on a liberty gets multiplied by 2 for its lift height at the wheel. ;)

Lift height on the Liberty is measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare. Stock front measurement on a KJ was 19”, KK 18”. So, a 2.5” lift is 21.5” on a KJ, 20.5” on a KK. This method eliminates the tire height from the equation so different rigs can be compared.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, the TeraFlex budget boost system I got ended up needing aftermarket upper control arms anyway.

Other ideas for just a smidge of lift... KK strut forks, and/or diesel coil springs. (I run both, with the teraflex).

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Truth is spacer lifts on a Liberty are just a bad idea all the way around wether you are doing it for looks or actually off roading.I won't bother re-hashing all the valid experience posts on here about the subject, but they are worth a read before you waste money on spacers.

LondonLew

Reaction score
Fwiw, the TeraFlex budget boost system I got ended up needing aftermarket upper control arms anyway.

Other ideas for just a smidge of lift... KK strut forks, and/or diesel coil springs. (I run both, with the teraflex).
Does the CRD Struts add length or just stiffness? I know the kk fork is like 20mm longer so thats not bad for a simple change.
Truth is spacer lifts on a Liberty are just a bad idea all the way around wether you are doing it for looks or actually off roading.I won't bother re-hashing all the valid experience posts on here about the subject, but they are worth a read before you waste money on spacers.
We know that, and this isn't a thread about how its a bad idea, its about how we are going to accomplish this bad idea.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the CRD Struts add length or just stiffness?

Stiffness; or rather imho, resistance to sagging.

On replacing the tired stock springs, CRD coils definitely added height.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$82.80cad to my doorstep, for CRD coils didnt seem exorbitant.

ikuo78

Reaction score
My KJ also had a 3-inch RC lift kit installed when I bought the vehicle used.
At the front, there is a spacer between the clevis and the shock assembly.
The 31-inch tires at the time of purchase were so worn that I didn't want to use them as they were, so
Adding up the distance I ran,
It looks like it has traveled about 70,000km with the spacer lift in place.
The current front height is 545mm (approximately 21.5 inches).
The lower arm bushing and clevis bushing were recently replaced, so it seems that the damage has been restored.
The current mileage is around 95,000km.
My KJ is 21 years old and has never had the shock assembly replaced.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.