Is there a 2012 KK tune for better MPGs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MN-Artic

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Future KK owner here.
I will be buying a 2012 Limited, I was wondering if there is a tune for this model to get better MPGs. Could you please share what you use and your results? Knowing the tire set up you are running would also help getting a better idea. I will be new to JEEP. :)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
08 KK here. Nothing that I know of. There is a HyperTech Max Energy tuner for the 08-10’s but not the 11-12 since Jeep changed the computer for those years. It does work well for the earlier years, so I’m told. There is also a tuning chip you can get that will help in the short run, but the computer unlearns it unless you keep resetting the battery.

What I do is I have a Scangauge II on the dash that gives me feedback on my driving so I can make it more efficient. Basically it adjusts the nut behind the wheel. ;)

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a set of Bosch fuel injectors and got a mile or two better.

But, the basic engine design can't be much changed. So it will still use a good deal of gas compared to some of the newer cars
dc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a full induction fuel system cleaning and gained 1 mpg.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much you can do. Another 08 LTD here. Best mileage i get is keeping tires inflated and driving by Tachometer. Meaning keep engine between 2k and 2.5k as much as possible. Gotten 21 / 22 mpg hwy this way. Not much that can be swapped to improve it much

MN-Artic

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! -
I am thinking a combination of it all should help. I am quite set on a 2011/2012 and I am planning on performing a full maintenance before I start putting miles on it (engine/diff oils, spark plugs, coils. I hear that the new "impulse" sparkplugs are good at burning 98% of the fuel in the chambers which also helps clean up any possible carbon deposits.

Has anyone tried those by any chance?

ice638879

Reaction score
08 KK here. Nothing that I know of. There is a HyperTech Max Energy tuner for the 08-10’s but not the 11-12 since Jeep changed the computer for those years. It does work well for the earlier years, so I’m told. There is also a tuning chip you can get that will help in the short run, but the computer unlearns it unless you keep resetting the battery.

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick with NGK copper spark plugs. These Jeeps are persnickety about their electrical parts.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copying and pasting my post verbatim and making it your own... Are you a spammer or an AI bot?

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Future KK owner here.
I will be buying a 2012 Limited, I was wondering if there is a tune for this model to get better MPGs. Could you please share what you use and your results? Knowing the tire set up you are running would also help getting a better idea. I will be new to JEEP. :)
I read somewhere if you add a cold air kit, it helps!

In reality, these so-called tunners and cold air kits don't help you much. Save your money for other mods.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere if you add a cold air kit, it helps!
Respectfully, no. Nearly all the posts on this forum about the subject by people who have tried a CAI say that the 3.7 is not restricted by the factory air box and filter. They also say that it is not worth the expense or the risk of letting the engine ingest more dust and dirt. They do say it sounds cool when the engine runs, sucking air through the CAI. Adding a few horsepower might be possible for some other engines with a CAI but not really our 3.7’s. There is not that much to gain.

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, no. Nearly all the posts on this forum about the subject by people who have tried a CAI say that the 3.7 is not restricted by the factory air box and filter. They also say that it is not worth the expense or the risk of letting the engine ingest more dust and dirt. They do say it sounds cool when the engine runs, sucking air through the CAI. Adding a few horsepower might be possible for some other engines with a CAI but not really our 3.7’s. There is not that much to gain.
Did you read my entire post?