What is the best/safest way to test my 4 wheel part of my trany?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MauiJeep

Reaction score
I am totally new to Jeeps. I have a liberty limited 4x4 3.7, no anti lock brakes, 2005. I am living on Maui right now so this seemed like a good choice. The car came from the mainland about a year ago from Boston. Big change for the girl. Anyways I have never owned a 4 wheel drive truck. I put it 4 wheel drive one time and it seemed to stick on 4 wheel drive until it sat over night. Thanks for any pointers to this newbie Y'all!

Todd

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! due to the fact that you manually put the transfer case into 4 wheel drive the transfer case will remain in 4 wheel drive until the drive takes it out of 4 wheel drive. the problem you seem to have is actually the transfer case doing what was designed to do.

MauiJeep

Reaction score
Fantastic! Hopefully I am cheaper (and easier) to fix. Sounds like you might be able to point me in the direction i need :D I appreciate any help on getting to know my truck better. TIA!

Todd

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have command Trac Or Selec-Trac? Do you have the owners manual for your Jeep?
If not you can find the free download version here link: Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep
With Part time or Command-Trac, I always shift transmission into neutral rolling slowly forward then shift the trasnfer case into part time and the light wil come on then transmission back into drive. Coming back out of 4x4 same thing trans into neutral slowly forward, disengage 4x4 back into drive. Then carry on & 4x4 is off and so should be the part time light. This Command-trac is meant to be engaged on loose surfaces only like gravel, wet grass, snow/ice mud, etc but not on dry pavement.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be able to test the truck in 4 wheel drive part time and 4 wheel low you just need to find some grass or gravel to drive on and you will be fine just no pavement. But if you have the selec trac then you can use full time four wheel drive (AWD) on pavement.

MauiJeep

Reaction score
Fantastic! I have selec trac. I appreciate any pointers. Do I need to still put it in Neutral and then change gears? I did some searches and did not find an answer. Thanks Y'all!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! I have selec trac. I appreciate any pointers. Do I need to still put it in Neutral and then change gears? I did some searches and did not find an answer. Thanks Y'all!
Both t-cases offered in a KJ are "shift on the fly" meaning you can shift into any selection at speed and in gear besides 4 low(has a separate shifting rules).Read the owners manual,will tell you extacly what can and can't be done.

But for the select trac all 4 tires must be the same size and same make/model of tire(can't have 2 BFG's and 2 Goodyears,or 2 Duratracs and 2 MT/R's) and the tread depth can not vary more then 3/32" between all 4 tires to properly shift,this also includes they must be aired up all the same also.So yes this also means if you need 1 tires duw to a blow out or non-repairable flat you must buy 4 tires if the tread depth is low on the other 3.The select trac is a very picky shifter and is known to get stuck in part time 4wd which is bad if your on pavement(and yes even wet pavement).

MauiJeep

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the information. I am dealing with a front end noise and just decided to replaced the tires (all unique) that where on the truck with Michelin's from costco here on Maui. Not a lot of options to get tires here and all are very expensive. Your post made me feel a lot better about my choice to get all new tires. I will test this out and let y'all know who it does. Thanks again for y'all help.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, you don't need to put it in Neutral. When you shift into Full time just release the throttle, pull the handle straight up till it stops (not a hard yank, just a smooth pull) and you're in Full Time 4WD and can run that way as long as you want. To go back to 2WD, release the throttle slightly and push the handle down till it stops.

Let us know when you want a tutorial on Part Time 4WD and 4WD Lo :waytogo:

Bob

MauiJeep

Reaction score
WOW! It seems to be working well. Now onto my next issue with a front end noise. Doing lots of searching and reading.

Latest posts

Members online