What is "cradle drop"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well title says all. From what i understand it helps cv joint angle(?) and people have negative opinion about it. What is it, how is it done and why isn't it talked about much? Doesn't jba 6" kit come with it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well title says all. From what i understand it helps cv joint angle(?) and people have negative opinion about it. What is it, how is it done and why isn't it talked about much? Doesn't jba 6" kit come with it?

Cradle drop is simply dropping the engine cradle down an inch or so
Been tons of discussion about it over the last 12-14 years
Reason not talked about is because there are so many other factors to think about
It changes everything else in the front setup, CV angles may get btter but thats all.
tie rods have a steeper angle, the front driveshaft is now out of alignment and will cause vibrations, the UCAs are now at a steeper angle even with the JBA arms , and goes on from there.
Funny many people have assumed their role was to show the " oldtimers" that it would work, well after short time ost went back to the original setup or were never heard from again.
THE JBA 6 inch does come with a cradle drop but also parts to address some of the concerns that will pop up but not all since some there is no easy fix

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx! I knew there was something keeping us from lifting any further.

So what if one didnt want to put inches of space in between cradle? Like about 1/4" or so? Would that do one any good? Will there still be a problem?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thx! I knew there was something keeping us from lifting any further.

So what if one didnt want to put inches of space in between cradle? Like about 1/4" or so? Would that do one any good? Will there still be a problem?

1/4 inch isn't enough to really mess with

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait nvm...it might be easier to just get jba cv joint after all instead of trouble.

Are you over 3.75-4 inches of lift or why the JBA CVs?
Just curious I was still running them on my 04 at 4.5 inches of lift ( stock NAPA rebuilds ) although did have to be carefull with full droop or doing jumps

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not at 3.75 just yet, but i plan on getting '10 kk clevis with a little clevis lift which probably will sit around that much. It might not even sit that much since i put arb on.

So far i have 1/4 plate, ome 927, 3/8 clevis sitting at 22 (was at 22.5 before)
If 10 kk clevis is 3/8 longer and i do 1/4" clevis space it will sit me around how high i was if not higher.

But rly, i was just curious of cradle drop, see if its anything to mess with.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not at 3.75 just yet, but i plan on getting '10 kk clevis with a little clevis lift which probably will sit around that much. It might not even sit that much since i put arb on.

So far i have 1/4 plate, ome 927, 3/8 clevis sitting at 22 (was at 22.5 before)
If 10 kk clevis is 3/8 longer and i do 1/4" clevis space it will sit me around how high i was if not higher.

But rly, i was just curious of cradle drop, see if its anything to mess with.

I have tried every trick there is including some that not many would even try for that extra lift, better ride, something different, but really never seen the need to even try the cradle drop , just my 2 cents