What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Where I'm from, a multi million dollar retreat can be a 4000 sq ft property with a crack shack.... not even joking either
This was a fortress of brown brick and glass hidden in a private grove of live oak at the end of a 22 mile dirt track. It had rained heavily, so they left their Bentley at the condo in the city and called Uber. LOL

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

starting at 2:45 to see it the best I think. only one valve ever opens.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

and I know it's hard to see because my mirror on my camera snoot is messed up, but that intake valve looks like it's not fully seated.
did it (potentially) drop a rocker arm because it's about to drop a seat?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
So today it was dry enough to tackle the outstanding rear brake jobs - but it's the Sunday before Christmas, so there were those things that only have to be done at this time of year, like trying to find where I'd put my son's present so I could wrap it, should have been sent yesterday at the latest.

Had to console myself with fixing the light in the shifter. Seems like it had come loose & just needed a wiggle & a gentle push. Got a disproportionate amount of satisfaction from that, just because something went right - for once! All I've got to now is refit the bezel (if that's the right word) without the repairs to it breaking again.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it looks like we are. Whats the first letter of your city you live in?. A couple houses across there alley are like junk yards. Old people hoarding actual garbage lol
It's a little better up here on the coast - looks like you work at a shop? Where do you work? I'm at the Ford dealer here in PR.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

and I know it's hard to see because my mirror on my camera snoot is messed up, but that intake valve looks like it's not fully seated.
did it (potentially) drop a rocker arm because it's about to drop a seat?
yeah, I think you are on to something there. I think the collar is wobbly.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to be more definitive about it, without having to tear the head off. If I knew it was going to drop the seat soon, I obviously would just not run the engine. Which would leave it to be a fixable situation in the future, if I ever chose to. Or if for example, I came across another with a bad driver side head. I guess I could pull the intake manifold off and scope through a runner and see if I see anything?

At this point from what I can see, there's no damage to the Piston or cylinder walls. So that to me at least makes it a possible candidate for repair if I can do so cheaply.

I think regardless though, this one is going to be a donor for the other, in terms of the transmission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not posting a “parts for sale” thread this evening. Someone in a Camaro tried to beat a red light and abruptly turned left in front of me today. It was wet, rainy, and dark… not the best conditions for panic stopping. Luckily my antilock brakes and BFG’s stopped me inches from their passengers door. Jeepy lives to fight another day. (Although we all know who ultimately wins in Jeep vs. Camaro.)

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not posting a “parts for sale” thread this evening. Someone in a Camaro tried to beat a red light and abruptly turned left in front of me today. It was wet, rainy, and dark… not the best conditions for panic stopping. Luckily my antilock brakes and BFG’s stopped me inches from their passengers door. Jeepy lives to fight another day. (Although we all know who ultimately wins in Jeep vs. Camaro.)
Dash cams are very popular where I live. If you don't have one, I suggest getting one. I use "thinkware" because they are small, good quality, and good picture. They also have very good low light/night video. I've found mine to have held up very well to the harsh environment of summer time heat in the cabin. Still works great and it is coming up on 6 years old for this model (F800)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dash cams are very popular where I live. If you don't have one, I suggest getting one. I use "thinkware" because they are small, good quality, and good picture. They also have very good low light/night video. I've found mine to have held up very well to the harsh environment of summer time heat in the cabin. Still works great and it is coming up on 6 years old for this model (F800)
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that.

Any issues with thieves busting into cars to grab electronics like dash cams?

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
I thought I'd open up the KJ original heater core to see why I had a dogs breath for heat in the cab.
Well here are the pictures of an opened up heater core.
12 passages from inlet on the top tubes to outlet on the bottom tubes. Each vertical set of tubes are a U tube.
2 tubes we clear on the left and only one tube clear on the right side.
If in doubt, change it out. I had only 25% capacity flowing in the heater core.
The pens inserted show the inlets to the U tubes and the outlet is below the pens.
I have about 70 pictures to write up a report, so yes it will take until Christmas to write it up.
Or longer, PM me if you need the pictures soon.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
More heater core pics
1st picture shows the 9 of the 12 tubes blocked. Poured water in the top U tubes and it's dry on all the 9 of the 12 bottom outlet tubes. 100% blockage.

2nd picture is an overview.

3rd picture is me starting to rod the 9 plugged tubes. Felt like pushing a steel rod in mud.
More to follow.

Latest posts

Members online