What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the issue, and it’s stupid as he’ll. If you remember me doing the parking brake shoes this year (idk why you would, there are much cooler posts), the 2 piece pawl on the driver’s side is rusted and fused into one piece. I used kroil, heat, chisels, BFH’s, and a lot of prayers and cuss words, and they would not separate. The way they’re fused would open the shoes and not allow me to put the disc back on, so I decided to not install new shoes. Well, the pawl got knocked loose, and it was skipping against the back of the wheel studs. As annoying as this is, I am very happy! I also told my wife it would take me two hours to fix, and I’ve been out here for only 20 minutes ;)

May this tie wire hold as tightly as Lizzo’s g-string

You must be registered for see images attach

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Another abortive attempt to replace the rear A-frame (& I thought remove the old one was a pia): finally got the centre balljoint pin to line up with the camp & at the right angle but can't get it to entre past the groove for the bolt. Last attempt next weekend, which,hopefully, will be a bit longer than the few hours between the ground drying out on Sunday & me having to preapre for leaving to return to London. Otherwise, I've finally decided, much as I've learned to detest it, it really is too good to scrap, so will offer it to anyone daft enough to take it on.

Now looking for an X-trail, as even if I could find one I could afford, the Mayor's changed the rules so now 2000-01 XJ's incur a £12.50 daily penalty to take into London.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find the source of a clunk on the drivers side when I hit bumps. I did have a loose sway bar link and tightening that helped tremendously. But, the noise is still there. Today I tightened the upper and lower ball joint nuts to rule them out. The noise still persists.

The only nuts and bolts on the suspension that I haven’t re-tightened yet are the top plate nuts and the UCA pocket bolts. But these are under the battery tray and TIPM computer and I am hoping not to have to take all that back out.

Unfortunately today I found this.

You’ll notice some shock oil on top of the clevis. A close look at the rod and you’ll see more oil mixed with dirt.

You can also see drops of oil in the dust on the spring from high pressure spray.

So, is my newly rebuilt shock the source of my drivers side clunk noise? The passengers side is quiet and also dry.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top of that spring looks funny. Is it like that or is it broken?
It’s 2 springs where the top one is a tender spring and the bottom one is beefier. The top spring keeps the bottom in place during extension.

Before the coilovers were installed:

This formula was recommended by Marlin at JBA Offroad as a replacement for the original variable rate spring that was worn out. Their Adjust-A-Strut lift kits are no longer in production.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced a lot of sway bar bushings on Chrysler products over the years for front end clunks - they will look ok but will still clunk. The Caravans were the worst. Might be worth a new set of bushings - they are pretty inexpensive. Could also be the shock too - if it is leaking then could have some internal play that is causing the seals to leak and make some noise.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at Tacoma and Bronco forums, searching for info on Bilstein shocks leaking oil. Seems like a small amount of oil seepage on the rod or shock body is normal, and not cause for replacement, according to Bilstein.

I suppose I could check the nitrogen PSI to see if there is sufficient pressure. Would that just be a Schrader valve on top, and could I use a tire pressure gauge? Mine goes up to 120 PSI max, which I’m thinking is not high enough. Also it looks like I may have to remove the shock to have enough room to get a gauge onto the valve. Oh well, maybe I won’t check the N pressure until I re-torque those top plate nuts and UCA bolts.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that shock is truly leaking and not just a bit of extra lube from the rebuild it seems to me your clunk could be damping system has lost it's nitrogen (I think it's nitrogen) and letting things move a bit before engagement.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that shock is truly leaking and not just a bit of extra lube from the rebuild it seems to me your clunk could be damping system has lost it's nitrogen (I think it's nitrogen) and letting things move a bit before engagement.
Thinking the same thing. I’m going to rule out every single nut and bolt, as well as the sway bar etc., before I settle on that conclusion, but yeah.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking the same thing. I’m going to rule out every single nut and bolt, as well as the sway bar etc., before I settle on that conclusion, but yeah.
You can have someone jounce the front end. Reach under the vehicle and feel the clevis. If you feel clunking, put your hand on the shock body (watch fingers in the spring). You should be able to feel the clunking more clearly the closer you get to problem area if it is the shock. The same method will work for sway bar links and bushings and ball joints. Pretty much everything suspension. You can also get a stethoscope and put it in some really tight places to accurately pinpoint the location

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new hub assembly for the front driver's side and the auto dimming heated side mirror. Just need to wait for a few more ebay items to sell so i can get the other two mirrors. Then its time to figure out the wiring harness.

CheddarGau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new hub assembly for the front driver's side and the auto dimming heated side mirror. Just need to wait for a few more ebay items to sell so i can get the other two mirrors. Then its time to figure out the wiring harness.
I love my auto dimming mirrors. Get the rear view mirror as well. I like that when some chump rolls up behind me using LED lights without projector head lamps

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my auto dimming mirrors. Get the rear view mirror as well. I like that when some chump rolls up behind me using LED lights without projector head lamps
That's definitely in the works, just waiting for a few ebay auctions to sell so i can check out. lol

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Need some daylight tomorrow, but I will get some snapshots. :)
Here you go: