What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it 600 miles today. The redone front suspension rides really nice, but something clunks badly over larger bumps. I need to figure out where that is coming from. The most common source of clunks after coilover or lift installs on Google seems to be sway bar links that aren’t tight enough. I will see if that fixes it. Hope so. Anyone else had clunks over bumps after installing your lift?
I got a squeek after redoing my shocks and coils. Though i think its the rear upper control arm bushings that are shot, though i gotta save up some money after getting my sub-frame fixed.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was LOUD, and rather disconcerting. (Especially so as I had never driven or even ridden in a lifted vehicle before.) Like what you describe, potholes didn't phase it - it was only on bumps. I'm wondering if something on the undercarriage needed to be tapped down, which eventually happened and the noise went away.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove it today to run some errands. The clunk noise is definitely on the drivers side, and you’re absolutely correct, it is LOUD!! Walnut Street in West Philly is being scarified for repaving but they left the manhole covers 2” above street level. Hitting those makes it sound like the whole front suspension is about to fall off, but I know everything is brand new and installed correctly. When this torrential rain lets up, I’ll re-torque the sway bar links. If that does not do the trick, I’ll tighten the clevis bolt where the strut meets the LCA. Then I’ll hit the strut tower top plate bolts. But hopefully I won’t need to because they are a lot of work to get to.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would look underneath and see if you see any marks where something is banging into something else. If you can spot it, maybe a good whack or two with a hammer will fix it. (This is assuming that something with upward travel is hitting something like the undercarriage you can safely flatten out.)

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is thumping two, last time I looked it was a front upper control arm bolt that had come loose, I torqued it up, but the noise has just returned, hopefully my arm will be recovered enough to investigate next weekend, I wonder if the bush has gone, strange as they are fairly new.... however they are probably Chinese junk. Till then I'm being chauffeur driven in the wife's VW.

Reaction score
After installing new shocks, control arms and other suspension parts, I heard a loud clunk on the driver's side every time I drove into or out of my driveway, which has a raised curb. Nothing was hitting anything, all bolts were tight.
After much head scratching it turned out I had accidentally installed the bar end link backward on that side.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ hadn’t thought of that. I will have to check.

I cranked on the sway bar link bolts and tightened them down quite a bit. The torque spec is 85 foot pounds for the upper bolts, but they are probably well past 100 now. But 90% of the clunking is gone! I have to hit a big bump fairly fast to get a noise now. I will go over all the bolts maybe this weekend when the weather improves.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
As my lift was being finalized I remember Tommudd telling me to go and find the worst road I could and really beat it around so it would all settle in. (I had plenty of roads to pick from here in the Cleveland area...) If you don't find anything amiss I bet yours will just fade away too. Hope so, anyway! :)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be silly to ask … but sometimes we forget the little tricks. You tightened the lca bolts under load right?
Yup, did that on the ground, and torqued them to 125 foot pounds per the OEM Jeep KK repair manual. The alignment shop would have had to loosen them and retighten them also to get the camber and toe dialed in. Of all the bolts on the whole setup, I trust those four the most. ;)

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones I trust the least actually are the ball joint nuts, both upper and lower. When you have to put a wrench on the stud to hold it steady while you crank the nut, you can’t use a torque wrench with a socket. I had to use an adjustable wrench on the nut and turn that by hand. JBA says 60 foot pounds for the UCA ball joint nut, and the repair manual says 40 pounds plus a 90° turn for the LCA ball joint nut. I made them as tight as I could but didn’t have much leverage.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We put on about 450 miles, yesterday. All for a ten minute eye appointment for our dog (she had her eye slashed by a cat when she was a puppy). All was good… Same time next year…

I was thinking about the rust that’s taking over my jeep, and started remembering all of my past cherokee forum reads, and remembered write-ups for 2x4 and 2x6 steel rockers/sliders. I need a welder, now. And a spare motor for when this thing knocks its last knock.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We put on about 450 miles, yesterday. All for a ten minute eye appointment for our dog (she had her eye slashed by a cat when she was a puppy). All was good… Same time next year…

I was thinking about the rust that’s taking over my jeep, and started remembering all of my past cherokee forum reads, and remembered write-ups for 2x4 and 2x6 steel rockers/sliders. I need a welder, now. And a spare motor for when this thing knocks its last knock.
Rebuilding the 3.7 isnt that bad of job, even with getting the block remachined its cheaper than junkyard engine. Just something to think about

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I dropped a birch and spruce 10' behind my parts jeep so it's really more about what I didn't do to my jeep today. The birch was uprooting and leaning right at the jeep. It took all of my ropes, chains, pulleys, and tricks to drop. Very happy with the results.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I bought a log splitter a couple weeks ago. Give me a couple more weeks and maybe I can make it up there and we can get them split.
What brand did you buy? I’m in the market right now. I use my small electric splitter as long as I can (for peace and quiet) but inevitably I reach the point where the the big guns must be called in! :confused:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What brand did you buy? I’m in the market right now. I use my small electric splitter as long as I can (for peace and quiet) but inevitably I reach the point where the the big guns must be called in! :confused:
I got this one:

Goes vertical for the really big logs when needed. It handled everything I could throw at it and I now have all three of my wood racks full.

And to keep things relevant, I can tow it around with my beloved Jeep!