What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, that's not right: XJ's had them from at least '96, & I think the front brakes are common to ZJ's & Wranglers up to '06(?).

WJ's had them front & rear.

Oh, I didn't know that, shame that they didn't go back to metal after the XJ's

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep came with cooper discoverer atw's, they're maybe a snow tire? That's what I was told, not sure if its true; only ice/snow I've been in slid me off the road and into the curb. 2K in repairs later I'm back on the road albeit I did upgrade the suspension when I fixed it. I'm running 245/70/r16 but plan to get some 245/75/r16 soon. I've looked at different websites, seen dozens of tires, and read hundreds of reviews. I'm really interested in BFG KO2's and Falken Wildpeake at3w's. Not sure which is best, it is daily driver, but it will definitely be off-roading come springtime. Also, should I get P-rated tires or the LT tires? Any other great options out there that I've missed in my research?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely go LT over p-rated if you plan to offroad. I'm taking a liking to the cooper at3's that are on my tacoma. Pretty aggressive deep lugs for an at tire. But there really are a lot of great looking tires out there, makes fo a tough decision.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My jeep came with cooper discoverer atw's, they're maybe a snow tire? That's what I was told, not sure if its true; only ice/snow I've been in slid me off the road and into the curb. 2K in repairs later I'm back on the road albeit I did upgrade the suspension when I fixed it. I'm running 245/70/r16 but plan to get some 245/75/r16 soon. I've looked at different websites, seen dozens of tires, and read hundreds of reviews. I'm really interested in BFG KO2's and Falken Wildpeake at3w's. Not sure which is best, it is daily driver, but it will definitely be off-roading come springtime. Also, should I get P-rated tires or the LT tires? Any other great options out there that I've missed in my research?
See my review of Toyo AT3s.
Off road awesome. On road quiet.
Extremely affordable for LT off road tires.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Disassembled entire driver side door and cleaned everything with ethanol. Dried it all with the torpedo heater
( Dangerous. Don't try this at home kids!)
Then lubricated everything with Endura.

Was 8F outside and miserable. Am about to build another useful sized garage if this c.rap keeps up.

Have decided to fabricate my own heavy duty exterior window seals.

Now chasing an intermittent short in the wiring harness. Driver tailight works only when it feels like it.

Suspect got water in there somewhere too.

Stupid frost gremlins.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
upgraded suspension, how much lift?
245 75 16s maybe too big

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
trying to determine if I can strengthen the roof structure, in lieu of trying to build/install a roof rack. my reasoning... I have low clearance into my garage, and want to permanently integrate a basket up top that's probably about as deep as the tupperware unit.
Build from scratch, like the Rock Lizard ones were
about the same height
bottom of the rack in the middle sat almost a 1/2 to 3/4 off the roof
Wish I would of kept one of them ( had two different ones )

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
trying to decide how concerned I should be about this transmission cooler line. It's a seeper at best, level hasn't dropped. But I'd sure hate to see it fail catastrophically. I plan to repair it asap, but how soon that is, well that's questionable.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kind of hoping doing something from the inside, like steal extra roof bows from another liberty and add them in between the current ones. Since I have a damaged roof, I was going to give it a couple layers of like a rhino lining or something, so I could just lay crap on it with impunity. Then bolt a low height rack to the factory mount points for things like tie downs, lights, removable awnings, etc. no cross bars at all.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a short to me, more like a bad connection (or even an iffy bulb). Normally I'd suspect the socket but (I assume) that tail light works - but could still be its connection with the housing.
In this case it is almost certainly a short. Continuity between connector and quarter panel. Too brutally cold here to pull interior plastic without risk of breakage, so just has to wait for warmer temperatures. Water involved as only happens after a thaw/freeze cycle.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgraded suspension, how much lift?
245 75 16s maybe too big
OME parts all the way around; I just finished installing the front yesterday. The ride quality is great, definitely better than the spacers that were on it. After it settled, I'm running 20.75" in the front, and 21.75" in the rear. No rubbing at all, front or rear, turned passenger or driver. There's extra room all the way around the front tires throughout the full steering radius. Only thing left to do is replace the stock bump stops with larger ones. Any recommendations?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a short to me, more like a bad connection (or even an iffy bulb). Normally I'd suspect the socket but (I assume) that tail light works - but could still be its connection with the housing.
I agree it could be the socket....the contacts are known to get hot and melt themselves down into the surrounding plastic!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
trying to decide how concerned I should be about this transmission cooler line. It's a seeper at best, level hasn't dropped. But I'd sure hate to see it fail catastrophically. I plan to repair it asap, but how soon that is, well that's questionable.
Do it quickly. Don't want that to pop when you're out and about. Had that happen a few years ago...

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
In this case it is almost certainly a short. Continuity between connector and quarter panel. Too brutally cold here to pull interior plastic without risk of breakage, so just has to wait for warmer temperatures. Water involved as only happens after a thaw/freeze cycle.
Well you're much closer to the problem than I am; it's just that I associate shorts with sparks & blown fuses rather than a component intermittently not working.
Interesting that you should mention water: my XJ developed a fault whereby the tail & brake lights interacted - sometimes. Only noticed it over Christmas/New Year, when it rained nearly all day, most days & last weekend, the 1st really dry one, no sign of the problem!

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that repair relatively recently.

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/trans-cooler-lines.38935/post-789706
I followed what Duster did, but removing the fan shroud and serpentine belt tensioner helps for access.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.