What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to where I had to do a job today, and there was a fellow liberty owner already working there.
But he's used to the gas milage of a camry, and won't be keeping it long lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Had to shut off the water to the house to do a repair, the shutoff was 1.5 blocks away in someone elses side yard, Lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had to install new water pump, thermostat and hoses PLUS tensioner and new serp belt , on a rusted out 02 KJ with 246,000 miles this afternoon
But they are taking off this evening driving to Arkansas
It runs great so they will make it
The bright spot was leaving the shop this evening , coming down the hill across the bridge and then I look left,...................

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Signed up to do some trails in January at the 4x4 winter jamboree in Utah...should be fun,went with scenic trails with some obstacles. Didnt feel like beating up the rig by going on the hard ones ,especially since I have to drive her back home afterwards
Good call!

My motto is "Remember Stupid, you have to drive it home." While Bert is built to and has done "wrangler stuff" (much to the chagrin of the Wrangler folks at our Jeep Club here) there is always a toll. I managed to shear off skid plate bolts taking on some ledges quite a few of the pavement princesses opted out of, strictly out of spite. Also smacked up a mirror housing and thwacked the snorkel on a tree pretty good. Snorkel acted as armor and prevented the loss of my passenger door and window.

One suggestion to prepare for your trip: if you don't have front recovery hooks installed, now is the time. The OE ones are easy to install and can be had relatively easily. I also recommend either a beavertail type step hitch or a shackle/recovery hook hitch for the rear. If you do not already have both a recovery strap and a kinetic rope, I suggest you get those too. Different situations require different recovery equipment. If the trail guide/instructor/spotters are any good they will challenge you to get outside you comfort zone. This is the time to get hung up or stuck. Best way to learn how to do a proper recovery is with folks that know what they are doing. You should also have a FRS/GMRS radio which requires an FCC license. It is 70$ and good for 10 years.

Bert's trip out with the Nebraska Jeep club was a laugh riot as my little grocery-getter got many snickers and rolled eyes...but the instructor put me first in line and told the wrangler folks "If he makes it, you better make it. If he doesn't make it, you gonna learn how to solve problems." I only got stuck once due to a flash flood while we were traversing a creek bottom due to some mashed potato consistency instant mud (slid crossways in a small gully and ended up resting bumper to bumper width wise) and then helped recover a bunch of pavement princesses that were buried up to their axles...

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Finished winterizing Bert due to a small break in the frigid temperatures over the holiday weekend. Went and did a sandbar recovery in the Platte River for a couple of knuckleheads in their Gladiator for the local Jeep club via Facebook, then spent some time teaching them how to read sandbars and mud in the near completely dry river after chewing them out for being out there alone. A pair of Tacomas were laughing their a$$es off in amazement watching Bert do the job and helped me berate (in the friendliest of ways) them. We all then went to the roadhouse for drinks...thankfully there was fake beer available for me.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Got to where I had to do a job today, and there was a fellow liberty owner already working there.
But he's used to the gas milage of a camry, and won't be keeping it long lol.

Had to shut off the water to the house to do a repair, the shutoff was 1.5 blocks away in someone elses side yard, Lol.
Which bumper is that on the KJ: I dig the marker light turn signals? - did that on my VW.

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bumper is that on the KJ: I dig the marker light turn signals? - did that on my VW.

Frankenstein from a jk bumper. It used to stop right where the fogs are, and I widened it till I ran out of scrap metal. If I find another pressure washer skid plate, I might be able to reach the end of the flares, lol!

Those marker light turn signals are awesome, and I love how they are dot approved (even though FL doesn't care). I bought a 10 pack expecting some to blow out right away, especially since I'm running 2 resistors in place to not get hyperflash when I use the signals. Knock on wood they are working great!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Frankenstein from a jk bumper. It used to stop right where the fogs are, and I widened it till I ran out of scrap metal. If I find another pressure washer skid plate, I might be able to reach the end of the flares, lol!

Those marker light turn signals are awesome, and I love how they are dot approved (even though FL doesn't care). I bought a 10 pack expecting some to blow out right away, especially since I'm running 2 resistors in place to not get hyperflash when I use the signals. Knock on wood they are working great!
They are awesome and cheap. I have them wired as directionals on the bug. have a bunch I on-hand to install on Bert eventually.

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my 4.10s today. Probably be spring before I get everything changed out. Had to take the opportunity while it was there. Pulled from a 2.4 gasser in Toledo. Southern car with low miles. Poor guys engine blew in town. Very happy!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a new battery in it.
last couple weeks i've noticed slow cranking, that's been getting worse as it's getting colder.
went to move it out of the garage to use the bay for other things, and it wouldn't start.
the classic, the tree dies in the summer but falls over in the winter.
got 5 years out of it, interstate battery.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a jeep question, but here's one for the Smart People:
one of my cars (05 Chrysler Sebring sedan), the brakes just aren't right. you push on the pedal and it feels like it's stopping mostly with the rears. if you pump the pedal then apply brakes, it feels like the fronts are now engaging again. I've changed pads and rotors, bled the brakes, replaced the fluid (do that every time I change pads anyways), everything's only about 2 years old and it still does it. starting to think, internal leak on the master cylinder? car doesn't have a lot of miles on it right now (05, 66k miles) and for the first 14 years of its life it only went 32k miles. never had a master fail or fault, so i'm not 100% sure my diagnosis is accurate.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a jeep question, but here's one for the Smart People:
one of my cars (05 Chrysler Sebring sedan), the brakes just aren't right. you push on the pedal and it feels like it's stopping mostly with the rears. if you pump the pedal then apply brakes, it feels like the fronts are now engaging again. I've changed pads and rotors, bled the brakes, replaced the fluid (do that every time I change pads anyways), everything's only about 2 years old and it still does it. starting to think, internal leak on the master cylinder? car doesn't have a lot of miles on it right now (05, 66k miles) and for the first 14 years of its life it only went 32k miles. never had a master fail or fault, so i'm not 100% sure my diagnosis is accurate.
I feel like mast cyl is sounding suspect beings it does not seem isolated to one side only, and you bled the brakes already.

Things I still check even though they are usually isolated problems-
Glide/slide pins, caliper pistons all behaving normal.
Brake lines can rarely have a inner jacket failure and not leak, acting like a fluid reservoir needing those extra pumps.