What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some guys have all the luck :rolleyes:
No luck to it, been buying parts and vehicles since 1971 and selling, repairing and flipping them
( selling parts and cars, plus cold beer on Fridays to other students is what got me through high school )
Always talk to people about their rides and they finally tell you what they have sitting around, not using
Few years ago a local tech in a Jeep dealership sold me all his new OEM parts for KJs he was storing up for 5 years
I have a 6X10 enclosed trailer and took over 3 loads to haul home, 2 hours later, had already tripled my money
and still had a ton of parts left

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's also the area you're in.
out by me in dirty jersey, we don't have people selling parts like that, sadly.

in other news:
drove to/from albany today, with the car trailer.
365.5 miles, half empty, half with a car on the trailer.
21.453 gallons of gas
that works out to 17mpg, while towing.
sometimes, I love this thing. :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure area wise, I have lived in 7 different areas in Ohio ands have done the same thing in all areas
4 cities , 2 larger , Toledo and Columbus
Don't know ??

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not my best work but got the switches installed and 1 set of lights wired up ,but itll do for now...got my transmission factory skid in today so looking forward to get that installed after I paint it

Hah! Great minds…

Attachments

• C2EAF3E0-A11E-473C-94C9-20908457B3CE.jpeg
    C2EAF3E0-A11E-473C-94C9-20908457B3CE.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 13

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the front crank seal on the Jeep.
It is really worn when compared to new.
New seal on the left, old one on the right.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Finally got myself in the mood to start on changing the front diff. Really wish I hadn't bothered, spent the afternoon trying to remove the front drive shaft, managed to remove all the bolts & gave up - at least for today: too tired, frustrated & dispirited. Off work tomorrow, so might go back to it but really beginning to wonder if it's worth all the grief.

While looking for a 10mm socket I'd dropped under the hood, discovered what I recognised as the left valve cover but, as far as I'm concerned, removing it is well nigh impossible & have gaskets to replace next year (if it survives that long) & still can't even see the right one. Also have a bad feeling about the transfer case - & it now needs a new battery. None of this is very encouraging when I'm still undecided about whether I like it enough to keep. It would be so easy to make a phone call & it be gone & yet . . .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got myself in the mood to start on changing the front diff. Really wish I hadn't bothered, spent the afternoon trying to remove the front drive shaft, managed to remove all the bolts & gave up - at least for today: too tired, frustrated & dispirited. Off work tomorrow, so might go back to it but really beginning to wonder if it's worth all the grief.

While looking for a 10mm socket I'd dropped under the hood, discovered what I recognised as the left valve cover but, as far as I'm concerned, removing it is well nigh impossible & have gaskets to replace next year (if it survives that long) & still can't even see the right one. Also have a bad feeling about the transfer case - & it now needs a new battery. None of this is very encouraging when I'm still undecided about whether I like it enough to keep. It would be so easy to make a phone call & it be gone & yet . . .
If you are having issues with simple things then by all means sell it and buy a brand new CAR.
If you are having issues with just removing the front driveshaft, then I'm sure you will have a heartattack when you get to the front diff
and thats even with me giving you a couple of short cuts that Haynes and Chitons never heard of LOL
Those things are all pretty routine as far as maintenance goes
The valve covers as well
If you set your mind to it, look at each thing before you start , take your time, breath deep and don't get excited, you'll do fine

1Done&Home

Reaction score
I had a leak at the rear of bank 2 and I just ran a bead of high-temp sealer around the edge after torquing the nuts. While at it I did bank 1. No drips.
Note the 50-caliber radio antenna. Better reception and the top is red.
Note the air deflector.

Attachments

• F8B22F2C-7EC7-4D5D-B412-5958A21614EB.jpeg
    F8B22F2C-7EC7-4D5D-B412-5958A21614EB.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 11

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having issues with simple things then by all means sell it and buy a brand new CAR.
If you are having issues with just removing the front driveshaft, then I'm sure you will have a heartattack when you get to the front diff
and thats even with me giving you a couple of short cuts that Haynes and Chitons never heard of LOL
Those things are all pretty routine as far as maintenance goes
The valve covers as well
If you set your mind to it, look at each thing before you start , take your time, breath deep and don't get excited, you'll do fine
Like I said before, what you may find simple, I don't; not because of the job (I've removed numerous drive shafts over the years) but because it's a KJ, unfamiliar &, in some respects, quite strange.

Certainly won't be selling it, not even for scrap, nor buying anything even newer (perhaps that's my problem: too far out of my comfort zone).

Now, to specifics: made some progress, in that the shaft's no longer seized in the flange on the diff but still can't separate them, mainly for want of room. Logic suggests removing the left down-pipe/cat. (as the FSM says for the 2.5 diesel) &/or the transfer case X-member, but I'm reluctant to do that if it can be avoided.

As for the valve covers, I remember when removing them was part of a routine service (to adjust valve clearances), they've got progressively less access able over the years, but 'til I got a WJ I'd never encountered a vehicle where you couldn't see them. It's the shear amount of dismantling, the time it must take & how long it's going to be stuck immobilised that deters me. What once would have been a challenge, now just seems more trouble than its worth but that's all for the future.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
The turning signals/hazards for the 03.KJ weren’t working on driver side front and rear, I went ahead and replaced the Flasher Relay and I’m back on the road. Now it’s time to replace that rack and pinion bushing and I’ll be content. (Also I swapped the flasher relay from the 07.KJ since it won’t be using it immediately)

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, to specifics: made some progress, in that the shaft's no longer seized in the flange on the diff but still can't separate them, mainly for want of room. Logic suggests removing the left down-pipe/cat. (as the FSM says for the 2.5 diesel) &/or the transfer case X-member, but I'm reluctant to do that if it can be avoided.

If yours is a gasser and bolts are all out, I was able to persuade my front driveshaft/front prop shaft out with a cold chisel and hammer.

When you get to removing the differential housing, the bolts holding it in (if they are factory still) were installed backwards, easiest way is to cut them out. Otherwise how they designed it, you'd have to drop the lower control arm just to slide the bolt out, and will need an alignment or at least a check doing it that way. If you cut them, you can install new bolts the other way around (nuts on the side of the control arms), and have no problems if you have to remove them for the future, and no alignment.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours is a gasser and bolts are all out, I was able to persuade my front driveshaft/front prop shaft out with a cold chisel and hammer.

When you get to removing the differential housing, the bolts holding it in (if they are factory still) were installed backwards, easiest way is to cut them out. Otherwise how they designed it, you'd have to drop the lower control arm just to slide the bolt out, and will need an alignment or at least a check doing it that way. If you cut them, you can install new bolts the other way around (nuts on the side of the control arms), and have no problems if you have to remove them for the future, and no alignment.
"persuade" now there's an understatement! Sounds more like brute force to me. Still, if that's how it has to be done, I'd better treat myself to a chisel because none I've got left are up to that. Think I'll still take the left down-pipe off because the cat needs re-welding to make leak free joins.

I did notice that bolt on the left but thought maybe the mounting could be removed at the top, so thanks for that tip. That means another day off, because my local fastener store's not open Saturdays; this is beginning to drag on far too long.

Reactions: JRB

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turning signals/hazards for the 03.KJ weren’t working on driver side front and rear, I went ahead and replaced the Flasher Relay and I’m back on the road. Now it’s time to replace that rack and pinion bushing and I’ll be content. (Also I swapped the flasher relay from the 07.KJ since it won’t be using it immediately)
That's encouraging, because mine's developed an irregular rhythm & I'd read somewhere that KJ turn signals are computer controlled.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
That's encouraging, because mine's developed an irregular rhythm & I'd read somewhere that KJ turn signals are computer controlled.
For this particular relay/switch it controls both turn signals and hazard lights. All you need is a screw driver to to disassemble the climate control unit and remove the radio. It’s a total of (6) screws.

Attachments

• 5451EC59-B35F-464F-9ECB-9033049FD10B.jpeg
    5451EC59-B35F-464F-9ECB-9033049FD10B.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 4C63FCA6-EEB1-411D-A2B1-92810815AD19.jpeg
    4C63FCA6-EEB1-411D-A2B1-92810815AD19.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 8

JasonTheOverlander

Reaction score
What did I do today? I put a big dent in my transmission pan! Not sure if this is a big deal or if its fine to just leave it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

TOTALLY WRONG ON REMOVING THE FRONT DIFF
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE OR EVEN LOOSEN THE LCAs
Ive done over 14 or 15 and never touched a LCA
wondering how many times I have to repeat that now LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.