What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Went to look at another 03 KJ today
Ad read like it was brand new including upgraded suspension , new brakes/tires/ recently regeared/ wheels etc
oh and no rust
Got there , rear window / plus hood would not stay up without the " broom " ( which he said I could have with it)
rusted out doors , upgraded suspension was Rough Country spacer lift on 90,000 mile springs and sat at 19.5 inches in front
leaked oil, rear boot on front driveshaft gone and so on and so on
I made my usually list of items to bring price down and he told me I was of my mind, since it was in perfect condition LOL
Well his 7000 dollar asking price way way off what I offered him , by 6500
He did ask what I was driving and then told me it wasn't a Jeep Liberty only the front fenders, hood and grill was
OH the regear was a rear diff from a 6 speed and front was stock , BOOM to happen soon with 3.55/3.73s
at least his girlfriend said I was driving a prutty " car "
At least they gave me a great laugh for the day
How could you turn down that deal? Buy a Liberty and get a FREE BROOM? I guess if you bought the new Gladiator they might even throw in a vacuum cleaner! :D
What I deal, bought an 06 and all I got was a stray sock and CD of John Denver’s greatest hits…a broom would have been useful.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s the plan- fix it up, have the wife drive it for the winter, sell that and the Nissan and then get her that Crosstrek Facebook tells her she wants come the thaw
OH, Facebook is telling her she just needs a Crosstrek
Well you know what that means LOL

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell me that 06 you bought wasn't a 4-ban.ger.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
asking the collective here:
what would be a good price for 4 non-rotted doors? shells, complete, or attached to a vehicle.
was the silver color the same for all model years? are all years (02-07) doors compatible?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
asking the collective here:
what would be a good price for 4 non-rotted doors? shells, complete, or attached to a vehicle.
was the silver color the same for all model years? are all years (02-07) doors compatible?
Doors same, but trim on doors are different after 04
not sure on wiring
as far as prices, I have seen them around here from 25 per door to over 500 for full set of non rusted ones
Silver should be the same through the years ( 02-07 )

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the new rear control arms and alignment two month ago, I have occasionally heard a fantastically loud grinding noise when turning into uphill driveways from a flat highway. At first I thought it was ESP but it is much louder. Also I checked the wheel wells and found no rubbing at all. I finally figured out that my rear drive shaft contacts the gas tank skid when the rear suspension articulates more than a little to one side. o_O Yeeoooowww

The KK’s rear suspension has upper and lower control arms plus a track bar. My JBA track bar is adjustable. Could it be that the alignment guy tried to “center” my rear axle and moved it closer to the gas tank? I have never had contact there before. I won’t be taking Jeepy off-road at all until I get this sorted. If I lengthen the rear track bar to get the drive shaft away from the gas tank, will that necessitate another alignment?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the new rear control arms and alignment two month ago, I have occasionally heard a fantastically loud grinding noise when turning into uphill driveways from a flat highway. At first I thought it was ESP but it is much louder. Also I checked the wheel wells and found no rubbing at all. I finally figured out that my rear drive shaft contacts the gas tank skid when the rear suspension articulates more than a little to one side. o_O Yeeoooowww

The KK’s rear suspension has upper and lower control arms plus a track bar. My JBA track bar is adjustable. Could it be that the alignment guy tried to “center” my rear axle and moved it closer to the gas tank? I have never had contact there before. I won’t be taking Jeepy off-road at all until I get this sorted. If I lengthen the rear track bar to get the drive shaft away from the gas tank, will that necessitate another alignment?
Yes that is what it seems, the track bar was moved a bit and brought it all over that way
Do you have a level area that you could unhook one side of the track bar and see if that lets body shift any ?
Measure first on each side from say inner fender/place on body to a place on rear diff on each side to see difference

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doors same, but trim on doors are different after 04
not sure on wiring
as far as prices, I have seen them around here from 25 per door to over 500 for full set of non rusted ones
Silver should be the same through the years ( 02-07 )

all right. so if I can pick up a whole vehicle w/ non-rusty doors for < $1000, I'd be doing good it sounds like. especially if I could get an 06 or 07 auto. I could swap axles and see if 3.73 makes any worthwhile difference over 3.55.
hard to find anything around here. seeing a couple VA and WV possibilities though.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that is what it seems, the track bar was moved a bit and brought it all over that way
Do you have a level area that you could unhook one side of the track bar and see if that lets body shift any ?
Measure first on each side from say inner fender/place on body to a place on rear diff on each side to see difference
I’ll have to climb under the Jeep tomorrow to see if the track bar is seized up or if it will actually turn. If it doesn’t look like it was adjusted (still got 8 years of rust and no new scratches, etc.) then I’ll know it is probably the difference in the rear control arms themselves.

Assuming I can move the rear axle over a little by adjusting the track bar, would that mean I would need another alignment after? Not sure if that would change the th.rust angle geometry, just moving the pumpkin over to the right 1/4 or 1/2 inch or so.

Last edited:

Penguin

Reaction score
Rebuilt the Rear-end on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport after 187k miles. It started howling and screaming. Had a shop look at it and they quoted me $1900 to swap a used one with 50k miles. Purchased a rebuild kit from Rockauto.com and some tools from Amazon. $400 and about 10 hours of my time this weekend. She's all quiet now. Pinion bearing went. Here's how the cone looked.

Attachments

• 20211125_114151.jpg
    20211125_114151.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 12

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Finally got around to putting on the exhaust ti p of the Gibson stainless exhaust system (GIB-617205) I installed 4 years ago now lol. The tail pipe stuck out a ridiculous amount once you had the tip on. So required cutting at the end by about 2-9/16”, to get it to my liking at least. I could’ve done with cutting it back slightly more even. But overall I’m happy with how it looks now in the back end.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rebuilt the Rear-end on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport after 187k miles. It started howling and screaming. Had a shop look at it and they quoted me $1900 to swap a used one with 50k miles. Purchased a rebuild kit from Rockauto.com and some tools from Amazon. $400 and about 10 hours of my time this weekend. She's all quiet now. Pinion bearing went. Here's how the cone looked.
1900 for a used and swapping it ???
Takes 45 minutes or less to swap one out and I've given away 8.25s to the junk dealer before just to get them out of my road !
WOW

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the wheel bearings with Mopar brand 4 years ago maybe. They are still listed under “economy” on rock auto site. That confused me a little as you would think being Mopar it would not be ranked among the cheap ones-but I bought them anyways.
Now for most of the year they have been howling pretty well but I assumed it’s mud tires. Put my ATs back on- it’s definitely bad bearings.

What brand you guys suggest now?

Yes I did torque them to 100 ft lbs or whatever it said here

Latest posts

Members online