What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My back passenger door flew open on a left turn, the other day. I could see my house, so I just kept going! Turns out the latch was caked in dust and was not latching. A little massage with a screwdriver and a shot of silicone lube sorted it right out.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like I got everything put back, except the wheels. I'll do that tomorrow, and give a last look around for spare parts/bolts/nuts. :D

Brian02KJ

Reaction score
My 45RFE total rebuild is done, I’m picking it up in the morning. Cause of failure was determined to be the shift solenoids, which lead to the transmission internals getting pretty burned up over time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took my Mother shopping in the 05
May need to replace the battery in it soon.
It mainly sits and is used just to take her places since its hard for her to get into the 03 anymore at 89 years old
So add that to list of upgrades that are needed on the 03 and 05
after getting stickers ( no new plates anymore ) on 3 KJs and two trailers I thought Id spent enough this month already :mad::rolleyes:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Gave up on the lift for now. Instead of doing that I ended up putting in new u joints and a rear seals. Just didn’t have enough time to do the lift right thanks to unplanned OT at the day job and limited garage time

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Gave up on the lift for now. Instead of doing that I ended up putting in new u joints and a rear seals. Just didn’t have enough time to do the lift right thanks to unplanned OT at the day job and limited garage time
Only takes 3 hours or less ;)
Upgraded suspension is better than sleeping any day

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Only takes 3 hours or less ;)
Upgraded suspension is better than sleeping any day
I found a few spots I need to do some welding on otherwise there might be issues with the new parts staying put:p

so used the flatbed to get it home instead of to the alignment shop

may “burn” a few more vacation days just to be ready in time for the real excursion!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a few spots I need to do some welding on otherwise there might be issues with the new parts staying put:p

so used the flatbed to get it home instead of to the alignment shop

may “burn” a few more vacation days just to be ready in time for the real excursion!
Few spots needing welding before lift?
Now I am concerned since you only have a clevis mount at bottom and at top the top plate that attaches to the body.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Few spots needing welding before lift?
Now I am concerned since you only have a clevis mount at bottom and at top the top plate that attaches to the body.
As was I. Appeared to be bad rust on the body at the top plate. Looks like one of the bolts on the passenger front top plate was loose and the body rusted out around it.
Good news is, now that I have stuff out of the way, it isn’t as bad as I thought at first. A few beads and some grinding and such and should be good as new. (Big sigh of relief)

Rest of it is just my VW OCD about rust!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
As was I. Appeared to be bad rust on the body at the top plate. Looks like one of the bolts on the passenger front top plate was loose and the body rusted out around it.
Good news is, now that I have stuff out of the way, it isn’t as bad as I thought at first. A few beads and some grinding and such and should be good as new. (Big sigh of relief)
Never seen one rust in that area and have worked on some rust buckets
Glad it is not too bad then
Me too. I have suspicion that this one had been exposed to flooding a few years back in addition to some sketchy shade tree work. I should have taken pictures of the mud packed body vents under the rear bumper. Took a lot of work to clear them out.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil's in it. started it and let it idle. pressure light went out almost immediately, so I guess I got the pickup tube installed right.
seeing no leaks on the ground as of yet, so that's good.
need to get the front wheels and driveshaft back on it, and i'm done with it... for now.
with any luck, it's pulling to-the-beach hauling duties on wednesday; going biking @ the shore.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side axle was stuck in the hub. I'm not normally a fan of big hammers, but I already broke off an abs/wheel speed sensor in it and it has 101k miles, so I swung that hammer like it wasn't my vehicle I was hitting.
Hub won the battle.

I brought it over to a 20t press after.
Press won the war.

Attachments

• eo3kJc1g.jpeg
    eo3kJc1g.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 7

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My drivers side axle was stuck in the hub. I'm not normally a fan of big hammers, but I already broke off an abs/wheel speed sensor in it and it has 101k miles, so I swung that hammer like it wasn't my vehicle I was hitting.
Hub won the battle.

I brought it over to a 20t press after.
Press won the war.
Gotta replace the hub and CV anyways so why take it to the press ?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hammering wasn't overly aggressive, one handed the sledge with a brass hammer in between, but I could tell it was more of a job for a press after a couple hits.

Is the cv axle no longer useful beings it was stuck? I was hoping it was, it looked okay on the wear comparing it to passenger side.

If I can't extract that broken sensor and do have to buy a new hub with sensor, wasn't it still good to separate to reuse my spindle?

I know with 101k miles I'll be buying new hubs soon, for the moment trying to reuse what I can.

Latest posts

Members online