What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
dchadjohnson

Start spending more time with your Heap checking over and testing parts so that doesn't happen again

Use NAPA remanned CVs, and MOOG greaseable ball joints

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dchadjohnson

Start spending more time with your Heap checking over and testing parts so that doesn't happen again

Use NAPA remanned CVs, and MOOG greaseable ball joints

I actually do keep a close eye on ball joints since I've had one fail before when the bottom nut sheared off, but I had no indication that today's failure would happen. Anyway, thanks for the parts recommendations. I'll be spending some time with my "heap" this weekend

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took the cover off it, and pulled it into the garage.
figure if I don't at least get it indoors, i'll NEVER get the maintenance done on it like I need to desperately: the 5 fluids of the apocalypse.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, sugar.
guess who needs a new oil pan it looks like.
it's always been a bit cruddy, but parked in the garage overnight, it left a pee mark.
i'm finding weeping about half way up the front curve.

can I get away with the SKP "branded" one on rock auto? or is there a specific brand that's preferred. Mopar is $73.
what about the gasket. order a new one ($19 - $39)?

hoping @tommudd reports in soon. :D

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually do keep a close eye on ball joints since I've had one fail before when the bottom nut sheared off, but I had no indication that today's failure would happen. Anyway, thanks for the parts recommendations. I'll be spending some time with my "heap" this weekend
The ball joint that just failed would of checked out bad at least 2-3000 miles ago
The last few hundred miles you would of heard a grinding sound when turning

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well, sugar.
guess who needs a new oil pan it looks like.
it's always been a bit cruddy, but parked in the garage overnight, it left a pee mark.
i'm finding weeping about half way up the front curve.

can I get away with the SKP "branded" one on rock auto? or is there a specific brand that's preferred. Mopar is $73.
what about the gasket. order a new one ($19 - $39)?

hoping @tommudd reports in soon. :D
The SKP brand should work fine and yes on the new gasket

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SKP brand should work fine and yes on the new gasket
Gracias. I'll put an order in the RockAuto for that soon as I get home and have lunch. I'm going to proceed with getting all the other fluids changed out at least though. Might as well finish that project off

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone got a rock auto code? :D
mine expired may 30th, of course.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I found one.
***** that 2 parts have to come from 2 different warehouses. how does someone plan that THAT badly?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any recommendation for a rear diff cover replacement? one with a fill and drain plug? or should I just not be a whiner and deal with the stocker. :D
I'm going to bet someone *koff* @tommudd *koff* says it's better removing the cover so you can inspect the gears or something like that. short of there being OBVIOUS damage, which i'd think draining it would tell you that with the glitter, I'm not sure if I could see if something was wrong anyways.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Finished restoration of the dash console and upgraded it with the stereo out of my VW.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got a break in the heat and replaced #6 COP. Discovered the trode contact spring in the old coil was completely compressed, hence the arcing misfires.

Currently hiding in Bert due to a severe thunderstorm that came through while doing some field work locally.

No water getting in!

Last edited:

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any recommendation for a rear diff cover replacement? one with a fill and drain plug? or should I just not be a whiner and deal with the stocker. :D
I'm going to bet someone *koff* @tommudd *koff* says it's better removing the cover so you can inspect the gears or something like that. short of there being OBVIOUS damage, which i'd think draining it would tell you that with the glitter, I'm not sure if I could see if something was wrong anyways.

You can add one, just like you can add one to the transmission (drain plug). However, if you do add one to the transmission, then you are not going to be able to change the filter, unless you remove the pan.

On the differential, you can add a drain plug. Drill a hole and bolt in the plug assembly, or weld in a weld-in type. However, you are now not going to be draining out the sludge bottom most part of the oil. That is also true for a pump out, using an added drain hole.

I opened mine this year and used a paper towel to almost scrape out the sludge off the bottom of the differential housing.
dc

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh great and powerful wizard @tommudd how in all that is unholy am I supposed to get the oil pan out, without disasembling the whole front end? I've seen various videos of people just sliding the pan out, most of those have been 2WD vehicles though. one guy fished the pan out past the front diff by raising the engine up. another removed the 2 rear bolts for the crossmember, which allowed it to tilt down enough apparently.

what are your suggestions?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
oh great and powerful wizard @tommudd how in all that is unholy am I supposed to get the oil pan out, without disasembling the whole front end? I've seen various videos of people just sliding the pan out, most of those have been 2WD vehicles though. one guy fished the pan out past the front diff by raising the engine up. another removed the 2 rear bolts for the crossmember, which allowed it to tilt down enough apparently.

what are your suggestions?
No short cuts that I have ever seen or heard of
Some unbolt the pan, then reach in to unbolt the pickup , but then you are basically working in the dark

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Whew. Was a balmy and cool 87F today...high 90s tomorrow...
But, got some brakes issues diagnosed and corrected, chased that pesky P0300 code and figure gotta get some injectors cleaned.
Got the first coat of bedliner on the front bumper.
Spent three hours chasing down the short in the fog lamps....and got lucky and actually found it.
Cleaned the passenger compartment fresh air filter/strainer of god knows how many years worth of filth.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the Jeep to pull the ATV on a trailer up to a nearby city, and made it all the way to the top, on the ATV. Going south on the road/trail along the ridge was stopped with snow. Going north I was able to go all the way to Highway 31. Beautiful weather up there (10,000 ft level) tho' it was cold, so I had a jacket on and my shirt buttoned on my neck. Cool breeze was blowing. Down in the valley it was 97.

Today I'm doing a little ATV maintenance. Next Saturday looks good for another trail to the top, then along the ridge both north and south. Fantastic view up there.
dc

Rolling along the trail/road I came across a ... snow mobile. Just sitting in the road, toward the side but on the gravel/dirt road. No snow near it. Some snow here and there on the peaks ans so forth, but not there.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No short cuts that I have ever seen or heard of
Some unbolt the pan, then reach in to unbolt the pickup , but then you are basically working in the dark

so what's your suggested method.

Latest posts

Members online