What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the issue where you hit the switch and it just makes a spinning noise and the window doesn’t move ? Put me down for one as of last week on the 03

That may be the start of it but I think they actually spontaneously drop when some piece of the guide fails. Maybe someone with experience in such engineering marvels will add some insight soon.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine spontaneously dropped 4".

I bought the Steiger piece and we'll install it when the weather turns nicer. Or I'll make him do it since he's driving it now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where were you able to find someone making a decent rear bumper for the KJ?

How much are you willing to pay ?
Have several asking me again, but seems no one even wants to pay the cost for the metal, let alone the labor etc , so just curious.
They see Smittybilt bumpers for TJ, XJs etc for 199-259 and think all bumpers should be that price. Of course theirs are since they can order 500-1000 from China for next to nothing.
I have to do at least 10-12 to even make it worth while for me.
So again just curious / discussing

Last edited:

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to pay ?
Have several asking me again, but seems no one even wants to pay the cost for the metal, let alone the labor etc , so just curious.
They see Smittybilt bumpers for TJ, XJs etc for 199-259 and think all bumpers should be that price. Of course theirs are since they can order 500-1000 from China for next to nothing.
I have to do at least 10-12 to even make it worth while for me.
So again just curious / discussing

After I got the Super-skink sliders and roof rails from Rock Lizard I tried to purchase his Komodo dragon rear bumper but Martin just wouldn't do it. I don't remember the exact price but it was at least a grand. If you or anyone else could make something similar I would expect to pay at least that much.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I got the Super-skink sliders and roof rails from Rock Lizard I tried to purchase his Komodo dragon rear bumper but Martin just wouldn't do it. I don't remember the exact price but it was at least a grand. If you or anyone else could make something similar I would expect to pay at least that much.

If someone was to fabricate their own, assuming they already had a welder and knew how to use it, they'd like spend half a week's work time building it, figure 20 hours for a one-off, at $30/hr ... I'd expect at least half of that $1000 price to be labor.

A lot of people don't know what goes into building such a thing and have no idea the value of someone's time.

HomerSaysDoh

Reaction score
My daughter used her heated side mirrors during the rain we've had recently. Thanks to the people that posted the how-to and commented. For $15 a pair, this was an excellent junkyard upgrade !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone was to fabricate their own, assuming they already had a welder and knew how to use it, they'd like spend half a week's work time building it, figure 20 hours for a one-off, at $30/hr ... I'd expect at least half of that $1000 price to be labor.

A lot of people don't know what goes into building such a thing and have no idea the value of someone's time.

Price of steel is crazy right now as well
Talked to the owner of Detours the other day, one of the main reasons he does not build the winch setup for the KJs etc now is cost of metal. He told me he would have to price them so high no one would buy them and still not make anything on them
I got burned last bumper go around, lesson learned but still gun shy

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine spontaneously dropped 4".

I bought the Steiger piece and we'll install it when the weather turns nicer. Or I'll make him do it since he's driving it now.

Wait. What. Hahah now it’s gonna drop soon? :happy175: this should be interesting Hopefully it lasts till warmer weather

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I had the RL rear bumper with dual swing outs, front bumper, rock rails, his full length roof rack and the other shorter one more stock length.
He got a bit of my money over the years :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How is that even possible? I had 2 go within a year of owning it. I have brackets waiting just in case the other 2 go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lets see 04 over 14 years, 05 has been 5 years and 03 4 years or so and not one has given me any window issues
Of course each oil change I spray the window channels with silicone spray or some thing similar, run them up and down a few times to work it in.Don't use those in channel window visors either
So maybe just dumb luck. IDK :emotions34:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is that even possible? I had 2 go within a year of owning it. I have brackets waiting just in case the other 2 go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lets see 04 over 14 years, 05 has been 5 years and 03 4 years or so and not one has given me any window issues
Of course each oil change I spray the window channels with silicone spray or some thing similar, run them up and down a few times to work it in.Don't use those in channel window visors either
So maybe just dumb luck. IDK :emotions34:

I've had my 03 for 8 years now.. a bit more, and as far as I can tell, all 4 of mine are original as well. No issues.

Now, my front left door lock mechanism squeals and has stripped gears inside, disallowing it from moving the lock rod up and down, so I have to manually unlock my drivers door...

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 03 for 8 years now.. a bit more, and as far as I can tell, all 4 of mine are original as well. No issues.

Now, my front left door lock mechanism squeals and has stripped gears inside, disallowing it from moving the lock rod up and down, so I have to manually unlock my drivers door...

Mine too. Same door. Can unlock but isn’t strong enough to pull it down all the way to lock.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait. What. Hahah now it’s gonna drop soon? :happy175: this should be interesting Hopefully it lasts till warmer weather

The window's held up with suction cups and braided wires - 2 pair. It's not going anywhere until I want it to.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the wife's car. driver's rear window went down, wouldn't go up, yesterday. dunno what I did, but I fixed it.
think honestly, the lockout switch at the master panel decided to wig out until i pressed it a dozen times.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There fixed it for you , always have one waiting in the wings to start on next

The NJ State Police have 5 of the same helicopters, AW139. the two with the least amount of time since their last maintenance are called "NorthStar" and "SouthStar" and are used for life flights. The next one is used to transport the governor and also to aid in helping other PD's for things like search and rescue and searching for suspects who fled. The 4th is in for maintenance. The 5th, however, is a hanger queen, and used to supply parts for the other 4.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine too. Same door. Can unlock but isn’t strong enough to pull it down all the way to lock.

I know a new unit is about $75 or so, but I wonder if ours works the same way as the F-body hidden headlight motors... where the motion of travel is so small that only a few of the teeth are ever used on the gear.

If so, we could disassemble the lock actuator, rotate or flip the gear and present new teeth to the worm-gear and fix it. Should be good for another 10-12 years after that.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be great.
I used a junkyard jeep as a test to see how to remove it. I have a spare unit but I remember clips breaking off that kinda sucked and very tight spaces

Latest posts

Members online