What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how the hell did you do that? and does your slider line up with the mark?

I was parked with no cars next to me, ate a whopper and didn't realize a dude parked right next to me a little too close on my right. His car is black and i didn't calculate my right turn well enough and did that. It was dark out too.

I got out while my slider still in contact with his bumper and he driver had to guide me back. So, i did see mine scraping his bumper. And he was sitting in his car while i did that.

As you see though its really a minor scrape. I really doubt he will get a new bumper out of this. Its a 2001 anyway... The dude kept on saying "its a bmw be prepared to get me a new bumper. Its an expensive vehicle"

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fiddled with the heat again or lack thereof. Trying to figure out if the blend door actuator is shot or the door is struck. Drilled up through the pivot on the bottom (small hole) and the door isn't moving. No sounds from actuator motor so pretty sure it's not working. Tried to manually move the flap from beneath but no go. Looks like the dash will have to come apart at least enough to get at the actuator bolts. Not too cold yet so I'll wear a sweater for a bit. :disgust:

You know those acutators are vacuum? I'm betting there's a vac hose off, or has a hole in it somewhere. A vacuum gauge is one of the handiest diagnostic tools you can have and are so simple to use to check for leaks, ruptured acutator diaphrams all manner of ****.

I like this one;
http://mityvac.com/hq_images/MV8000.jpg

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the rear upper control arm. "It's easy" they said. "Don't need a walk through or write up" they said. "It's only 3 bolts: 1 in each frame end and the pinch bolt on the ball joint". Yeah, you might have to take out the 3 bolts on top of the diff to get it out. Getting the thing out was not an issue. Popped right out. Getting it back in, by myself was a biotch. Finally had to take out those 3 bolts, which had been put in with max strength LocTite, to get that crap to all line up. But um done. Now, after changing fan clutch, electric fan motor, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses and a coolant flush....,I'm throwing a code for a fan motor relay...

My thoughts exactly when doing the Y link extension. I through in my rubber isolators just to make it easier to line up... :emotions34:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the new rad hose install, and filled it with Zerex G-05. Fired it up and it went fast idle, then settled around 2k. Not sure what to do next. Had battery disconnected, didn't think I touched the skinny pedal, but maybe. Disconnected it again, waited 30 min, started it, and 2k idle:shrug:
I really hope I don't have to pull it apart again:favorites68:

Found the problem. Someone forget to re-connect the vacuum hose for the power brakes. All's good now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the rear upper control arm. "It's easy" they said. "Don't need a walk through or write up" they said. "It's only 3 bolts: 1 in each frame end and the pinch bolt on the ball joint". Yeah, you might have to take out the 3 bolts on top of the diff to get it out. Getting the thing out was not an issue. Popped right out. Getting it back in, by myself was a biotch. Finally had to take out those 3 bolts, which had been put in with max strength LocTite, to get that crap to all line up. But um done. Now, after changing fan clutch, electric fan motor, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses and a coolant flush....,I'm throwing a code for a fan motor relay...

Now come on it is easy to do, I've swapped them out in 8-10 minutes. One thing to remember is sometimes the body will shift to one side just a little, all you have to do is pull it back some and bolts line right up. Changing one of these is as easy or easier than swapping spark plugs in a 3.7

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to the back of the farm to put out a couple deer stands. The deer have been everywhere out here, this might be a good deer season.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was parked with no cars next to me, ate a whopper and didn't realize a dude parked right next to me a little too close on my right. His car is black and i didn't calculate my right turn well enough and did that. It was dark out too.

I got out while my slider still in contact with his bumper and he driver had to guide me back. So, i did see mine scraping his bumper. And he was sitting in his car while i did that.

As you see though its really a minor scrape. I really doubt he will get a new bumper out of this. Its a 2001 anyway... The dude kept on saying "its a bmw be prepared to get me a new bumper. Its an expensive vehicle"

possible replies that would have been warranted...
"pretty ****** constructed vehicle too, if it can't take a little love rub."
"hey, at least the W in BMW didn't break. (mutters: window)"
"expensive? hell they should TOTAL it out for that much damage!"
"given how it's so fragile it is perhaps you should sell it and get something not made out of cray paper and spitballs?"
"boy this gives a whole new meaning to the crime of 'driving while black'."
"no problem. I'll send you the bill to repaint the slider your car was in the way of."
"next time don't park so close or i'll just shove that toy of a car out of the way."

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possible replies that would have been warranted...
"pretty ****** constructed vehicle too, if it can't take a little love rub."
"hey, at least the W in BMW didn't break. (mutters: window)"
"expensive? hell they should TOTAL it out for that much damage!"
"given how it's so fragile it is perhaps you should sell it and get something not made out of cray paper and spitballs?"
"boy this gives a whole new meaning to the crime of 'driving while black'."
"no problem. I'll send you the bill to repaint the slider your car was in the way of."
"next time don't park so close or i'll just shove that toy of a car out of the way."

:thumbsdown:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the RF axle seal today, wasn't too bad, damn thing flung gear lube all over the control arm but it's fixed, drained and filled with some dino... Good thing too considering it only had maybe a quart left in it. Rear axle will be serviced too. New diff cover and some fluid should do it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know those acutators are vacuum? I'm betting there's a vac hose off, or has a hole in it somewhere. A vacuum gauge is one of the handiest diagnostic tools you can have and are so simple to use to check for leaks, ruptured acutator diaphrams all manner of ****.

I like this one;
http://mityvac.com/hq_images/MV8000.jpg

Bob

I've got one of those. Use it alot! great to have. The mode door is vacuum controlled (right behind the glovebox) and works fine, but the hot/cold blend door is a little electric motor that sits up on top of the box near the heater core. I can reach it through the opening next to the SOMS (Secret Owners Manual Slot) but the bolts are up top and the dash has to "be moved" to replace it. I can unplug the connector and replug it but no noise when the dial is turned. I used to hear a very faint gear/motor sound when the temp was changing. One day I heard it the next nothing. Checked the fuse too. Bummer. :sad72:

#6 below:

Last edited by a moderator:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those. Use it alot! great to have. The mode door is vacuum controlled (right behind the glovebox) and works fine, but the hot/cold blend door is a little electric motor that sits up on top of the box near the heater core. I can reach it through the opening next to the SOMS (Secret Owners Manual Slot) but the bolts are up top and the dash has to "be moved" to replace it. I can unplug the connector and replug it but no noise when the dial is turned. I used to hear a very faint gear/motor sound when the temp was changing. One day I heard it the next nothing. Checked the fuse too. Bummer. :sad72:

#6 below:

If one wanted to improvise (we used to use the "N" word and think nothing about it) and could zip-tie/wedge that little motor in the other position, allowing hot water to flow constantly, then it'd be possible to put an old fashion plumbing on/off valve in the heater hose under the hood for summertime use.

I'd never do that to a customers car, but "improvise, adapt, overcome" has gotten a lot of folks out of much worse situations. :waytogo:

Bob

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did I do to my Jeep today? I swore at it. Replaced the front driveshaft rear cv joint and my rear drive shaft u joints are squeaking away at me. So I swore at it

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drove Low Down Green and looked at Kili for a while :shrug::icon_lol:
Parking them side by side to see what I want to do to Low Down
:shrug:
how high, how wide, how much,.........
This is going to be somewhat of a different build than what I have done for the last 40 plus years :icon_lol:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed some Speed Bleeders and afterwards realized that the bottle of brake fluid I set out last night is now gone. Walked over to the neighbors(a mile and a half away) and was able to get an unopened bottle of brake fluid, which I traded a bottle of gear oil for lol. You might be a redneck if....you use automotive fluids like a credit card.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a rough neighborhood, where bottles of brake fluid up and walk away.
Or was that your bottle that your neighbor had? ;)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in 14.3 gallons of 89 after using 87 for the past two months. Let's see the difference!