What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leeann, I LOVE my Geolander A/T-S's! I upsized mine on the stock rims (255/65-16).

You must be registered for see images attach

Awesome - that's what I hoped to hear. I got the stock 235s, but I had H/T-S on my '93 Bravada (full-time AWD) and loved them. I figured the A/T-S was better suited to the Libby.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much better!

Thought about changing the E-brake shoes on the rears, too, but decided against it. Very seldom ever used.

Spent about half an hour performing the break in for the ceramic pads. If they last and perform as well as they do on my Mustang, I'll be happy! :)

Now why did you go with slotted and cross drilled? You know they don't do anything beneficial since they are providing less heat transfer from pad to rotor with less rotor mass and surface area and increasing stopping distance right?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a dshackle insert thingy for my hitch. No more hooking it to the rings on the bottom of the hitch!:favorites37:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I got one at Harbor Freight for something like $10…

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Now why did you go with slotted and cross drilled? You know they don't do anything beneficial since they are providing less heat transfer from pad to rotor with less rotor mass and surface area and increasing stopping distance right?

They have more surface area, so they dissipate heat better. The swept area of the rotor is changed negligibly, and the real stopping power comes from leverage, IE how far away the pad is from the rotor, which is why high performance variants (IE VW R32 vs ThunderbirdJunkie's Jetta) have bigger rotors with the same caliper and pads mounted further away from the hub.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have more surface area, so they dissipate heat better. The swept area of the rotor is changed negligibly, and the real stopping power comes from leverage, IE how far away the pad is from the rotor, which is why high performance variants (IE VW R32 vs ThunderbirdJunkie's Jetta) have bigger rotors with the same caliper and pads mounted further away from the hub.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

Isn't it all about heat transfer? Since that's how brakes are used to stop a vehicle? The energy of the vehicle goes into the pads and rotors in the form of heat. The more surface area the rotor has and the more mass it has, equals more heat transfer and shorter stopping distances. Having slots in the rotors decreases pad/rotor contact, as do the drilled holes in the rotor decreasing heat transfer and increasing stopping distance.

Now if you look at Ferraris and other high end vehicles with slotted and drilled rotors, they serve no purpose other than looks. Ferrari even admitted this. If you look at F1 cars they all have solid rotors for better heat transfer and stopping distances.

If you want the slotted and drilled look go for rotors that are cast that way not drilled into a solid rotor as this severely decreases the strength of it and can fail catastrophically. Ferrari gets their rotors cast that way to retain the strength of the rotor.

:Rant:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it all about heat transfer? Since that's how brakes are used to stop a vehicle? The energy of the vehicle goes into the pads and rotors in the form of heat. The more surface area the rotor has and the more mass it has, equals more heat transfer and shorter stopping distances. Having slots in the rotors decreases pad/rotor contact, as do the drilled holes in the rotor decreasing heat transfer and increasing stopping distance.

Now if you look at Ferraris and other high end vehicles with slotted and drilled rotors, they serve no purpose other than looks. Ferrari even admitted this. If you look at F1 cars they all have solid rotors for better heat transfer and stopping distances.

If you want the slotted and drilled look go for rotors that are cast that way not drilled into a solid rotor as this severely decreases the strength of it and can fail catastrophically. Ferrari gets their rotors cast that way to retain the strength of the rotor.

:Rant:

The energy is dissipated in the form of heat. The more heat you can dissipate, the more you can stop. Holding heat is great for race cars; some of the high performance "street" pads will NOT stop your vehicle when cold; they need some heat in them. This goes for the carbon brakes exotics use. Normal street pads, on the other hand, work best the less heat they've soaked up. This goes for the carbon brakes exotics use.
This is a legitimate Ferrari race car's brakes; They probably don't just put holes in the rotor for looks on race cars. Note the nifty cooling stuffs here.
Ferrari, historically, has nothing better to do than insult their customers. Enzo had great contempt for his customers, going on record as calling them stupid saying they'd buy anything. It's no surprise they'd insult their customers by saying something they do doesn't do something. The simple fact is they're a racing company that builds street cars to pay the bills, and the 14 year old that sweeps their shop has probably forgotten more about braking than everybody on this site will ever know.

Now on a normal street vehicle, you're absolutely right, most people won't notice the difference...but the difference is there.

Now if you'll excuse him, ThunderbirdJunkie needs to find a large version of this picture.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For street use the drilled rotors look sick! Numbero uno reason to put them on your Jeep! Then you have to get some wheels with thin spokes so you can see your cool brakes! :driver:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The energy is dissipated in the form of heat. The more heat you can dissipate, the more you can stop. Holding heat is great for race cars; some of the high performance "street" pads will NOT stop your vehicle when cold; they need some heat in them. This goes for the carbon brakes exotics use. Normal street pads, on the other hand, work best the less heat they've soaked up. This goes for the carbon brakes exotics use.
This is a legitimate Ferrari race car's brakes; They probably don't just put holes in the rotor for looks on race cars. Note the nifty cooling stuffs here.
Ferrari, historically, has nothing better to do than insult their customers. Enzo had great contempt for his customers, going on record as calling them stupid saying they'd buy anything. It's no surprise they'd insult their customers by saying something they do doesn't do something. The simple fact is they're a racing company that builds street cars to pay the bills, and the 14 year old that sweeps their shop has probably forgotten more about braking than everybody on this site will ever know.

Now on a normal street vehicle, you're absolutely right, most people won't notice the difference...but the difference is there.

Now if you'll excuse him, ThunderbirdJunkie needs to find a large version of this picture.

Thank you for explaining it in more detail, much better than I could hope to do. But my biggest beef with slotted and drilled on a street car is that the ones that most (not all) people put on aren't safe. They are cast solid and then drilled and slotted after the casting which is an extreme safety hazard as it makes microscopic fractures which could turn into large cracks and create a catastrophic failure. When they are cast that way there are no nano fractures from the drilling.

They put them on because it looks "cool" not realizing that they have just installed a serious weak point in their braking system. People have to make sure those fancy rotors are cast with the drills and slots and not done on a blank rotor. It's going to be more expensive but much, MUCH, safer then cheaping out on the "blank turned fancy" rotors

Drakko05KJ

Reaction score

Hope this pic works. First time trying to post a pic on here.

I went with EBC slotted rotors cuz I thought they reduce heat which cuts down on brake fade and warped rotors.

I had warped rotors on the front and the dealership wanted $600 just to do the front so I bought rotors and pads for front and rear for $350.

This is the 3rd brake job on the jeep but first time with rotors. (First two times the rotors were not turned I know I know.)

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Looks like the Mopar upgrade?

Which I couldn't believe ran along the front edge of the gas tank :eek:

I'm sure it's completely safe... I just think extreme heat, explosive liquid separated by plastic ... :rocking:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole drilled rotor thing is a joke...................

It stemmed from the '60's with organic pads that would "outgas" in racing conditions and for drag racing to reduce weight(and rotational weight).Nowdays even the cheapest pads do not "outgas" making drilled rotors just 100% for show and actually reduce braking performance.At one time or another every major brake company like Brembo,Stillin,and such all stated that on there websites,some still do.There just are popular with the ricer crowd because they "look cool".

Slotted rotors do have a advantage,even for street use but like drilled rotors are useless if you play in the mud.

With all that said I greased all 54 grease zerks tonight on my KJ,only took 4 hours.I'm getting faster at getting them all.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole drilled rotor thing is a joke...................

It stemmed from the '60's with organic pads that would "outgas" in racing conditions and for drag racing to reduce weight(and rotational weight).Nowdays even the cheapest pads do not "outgas" making drilled rotors just 100% for show and actually reduce braking performance.At one time or another every major brake company like Brembo,Stillin,and such all stated that on there websites,some still do.There just are popular with the ricer crowd because they "look cool".

Slotted rotors do have a advantage,even for street use but like drilled rotors are useless if you play in the mud.

With all that said I greased all 54 grease zerks tonight on my KJ,only took 4 hours.I'm getting faster at getting them all.

Thank you. And omg that's alot of greaseable parts!