What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfmadden330

Reaction score
Did you check the front driveshaft?
I have, I cant feel any play or wiggle in it. At low speeds(less than 10) it's a slow grind, like metal on metal, at higher speeds, it sounds almost like a chain rattling. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned, this is the first time I've heard a noise like this coming from the front end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check the driveshaft CV at the tcase, I bet the boot is gone. Mine didn't have play but it was obliterated otherwise.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was semi-stranded at a WaWa on the way home from Philly last night. Jeep was running great till I started up after getting gas. I was able to limp it a half mile to a hotel. There was an actual quality mech shop a quarter of a mile away. I read the code: P0303. Cylinder 3 misfire. Idle was really rough and a loud ticking noise could be heard. Issue ended up being a bad lifter which b/c of that a rocker was slightly dinged but still okay. Mechanic is going ahead and replacing both. Parts/labor will come to $393. Now, compare that cost to a hotel room and the cost of towing back home. I was a hair over 100 miles from home. Cost of towing was going to be $530 after discount. I pick up the Jeep on Friday. Life loves to curveball ya.:gr_grin:
AAA will do a 100mile tow, and 1 200 mile tow if you have their higher level membership.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAA will do a 100mile tow, and 1 200 mile tow if you have their higher level membership.

They'll also tow your trailer if you have their premium membership. EDIT: It's their Premier membership, not premium

Another great thing they do is trip interruption. We were delayed 4 days during our cross country road trip, all expenses up to $1500 covered, sans alcohol.

AAA IS WORTH EVERY PENNY YALL!!

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked the KJ at the end of the lot at work with the FOR SALE sign and the details written on the window. There is lots of traffic through there, so I figured I'd give that a go before putting it on Crookslist.

Drove the WK2 to the grocery store. Picked up a 6pack of Paulaner Salvator, some potatoes and ham steaks....firing up the grill for the first time this season:pepper:

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another day of coming home to more parts, this time its extended brake lines.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have AAA RV PLUS. I keep it for the simple fact if I ever break down while pulling the car trailer to the track, they'll get everything home.

gfmadden330

Reaction score
Well, after getting under the liberty, I found that the passenger side CV axle has a lot of play, so that would explain the noise I've been hearing... would it be best to do the CV and bearing on that side, or can I get away with doing just the CV?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do intermediate shaft and the CV. I'd leave the bearing. Mine has the steel roller ones, later ones have plastic ones that wear out.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dealership had to order the e-brake parts because they are apparently dealer only. They also wanted to keep my Jeep to send off for diagnostics(out of their own pocket apparently), but I currently can not get to work w/o renting a car b/c my rides are working, so they are postponing till Monday when I have two days off. Gonna schedule a rental for 4 days if I can so I don't miss a day of work, as our single most important day of the year, Free Comic Book Day, is approaching.

It's amazing to believe that a new car dealership with a two lane service department doens't have a scan tool that can check to see why my drivetrain is making a rumble noise.

gfmadden330

Reaction score
Do intermediate shaft and the CV. I'd leave the bearing. Mine has the steel roller ones, later ones have plastic ones that wear out.
Ok, I am rather mechanically inclined, but doing the CV, do I need to strip the entire front end down? Lower control arm, hub, ect.? Or can can it be done with mout removing everything?

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am rather mechanically inclined, but doing the CV, do I need to strip the entire front end down? Lower control arm, hub, ect.? Or can can it be done with mout removing everything?

You'll have to pull the knuckle off, so yea UBJ and LBJ gotta come off. Also the strut has to come off, which is a PITA.

Heres the link to HOW TO: Change CV Axle

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are some great write ups on this site, but, and I'll try to keep in order. Sway bar link, knuckle, and clevis. I found it very beneficial to also remove the shock, it just gives you a straight shot at the repair. Someone will let me know what I missed.

Akley88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the liberty to pick up more liberty!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: