What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed the oil and filter today. That was by far the most difficulty I had in removing the old oil filter in 35+ years of servicing my own vehicles. I'm glad that I'm thin, because if I wasn't I'm not sure I would be able to get it out!

???
I'm an old fat man and no issues reaching or removing
Not nearly as bad as some I've changed over the last 40 plus years

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Other than the weird angle, it's not hard. Not as easy as my Astro, but that sticks straight down next to the oil pan.

Did you reach up from underneath (which is only easy if you're lifted) or reach down from the front?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you have the mechanical fan, the bottom is the only way. For me the filter is easy to get to, it's just that it makes a mess. It drips all over the driver's side steering rack bushing, I swear I spend more time cleaning up than doing the oil change. I've put a zip lock bag over the filter before removing it and it seems to help.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom's right. You'll always get a better overall balance with the weights spread as far as possible. Only way to do that is to mount em outboard.

All depends on the wheels and tires I guess. I would prefer the static balance without the weights on the outside whenever possible. Never had any balance issues. Mostly because my cars have wheels where it’s not exactly possible to to that anyhow. That’s my personal preference. If we can’t achieve a nice balance , it was usually a tire issue or wheel issue.
If it was a cheapo steel rim or rim/hubcap combo - then I wouldn’t mind.
But that brings me to my point of corrosion. Lots of wheels around my area suffer from the corrosion even the current kj wheels. The weights were previously on the outside and trapped salt behind them causing the clear coat to peel on all wheels. I had to blast them down and plasti dip them.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed oil and filter. Swapped oil pressure sender while I had the filter off. Front diff pinion seal leak has lessened. Didn't even have to top it off and it's been over a month. All good.

Never found it hard to change the oil in the 02 or 05. I just unscrew the filter and let it drop into the trough until most of the oil is out. 02 had the HD cooling 05 does not. I'm not a small person (athletically robust :emotions34:). I did notice the Wix XP filter I used this time is longer that the Motorcraft that was on it (gonna cut that MC one open tomorrow).

The Lizard King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???
I'm an old fat man and no issues reaching or removing
Not nearly as bad as some I've changed over the last 40 plus years

I agree. Other than the weird angle, it's not hard. Not as easy as my Astro, but that sticks straight down next to the oil pan.

Did you reach up from underneath (which is only easy if you're lifted) or reach down from the front?

If you have the mechanical fan, the bottom is the only way. For me the filter is easy to get to, it's just that it makes a mess. It drips all over the driver's side steering rack bushing, I swear I spend more time cleaning up than doing the oil change. I've put a zip lock bag over the filter before removing it and it seems to help.

Changed oil and filter. Swapped oil pressure sender while I had the filter off. Front diff pinion seal leak has lessened. Didn't even have to top it off and it's been over a month. All good.

Never found it hard to change the oil in the 02 or 05. I just unscrew the filter and let it drop into the trough until most of the oil is out. 02 had the HD cooling 05 does not. I'm not a small person (athletically robust :emotions34:). I did notice the Wix XP filter I used this time is longer that the Motorcraft that was on it (gonna cut that MC one open tomorrow).

I have an '03 and it has the electric fan, which is in the way to access the oil filter from the top of the engine bay. The crossmember and other stuff is in the way from below (for me). I ended up lifting the front on a hydrolic jack and squeezing my arm through the very narrow opening to access the oil filter. I've changed the oil to a variety of vehicles over many, many years, and this was by far the most difficult for me to reach. Getting a filter wrench in there to get it loose was hard for me. It was serviced by a garage the last time, and whoever tightened that old filter really cranked it on.

Now that I have the experience, I assume that it'll be easier for me the next time. Plus, I only tightened the oil filter hand-tight like I do all my vehicles; it makes it easier to remove!

I inherited this Jeep from my father-in-law after he died last summer; I've owned it since October. I'm overall happy with it, but it has a few quirks that take getting used to (like an oil/filter change). It does consume more gas than any vehicle that I've owned, but I do like the rumble under my seat from the 3.7 L, 6-cylinder engine. :driver:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘05 has the e-fan and I reach down from the front with no trouble. Do you mean the HD clutched fan?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use ramps and reach up around the front of the rack to get the filter. The hand tight only rule definitely helps!

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '03 and it has the electric fan, which is in the way to access the oil filter from the top of the engine bay. The crossmember and other stuff is in the way from below (for me). I ended up lifting the front on a hydrolic jack and squeezing my arm through the very narrow opening to access the oil filter. I've changed the oil to a variety of vehicles over many, many years, and this was by far the most difficult for me to reach. Getting a filter wrench in there to get it loose was hard for me. It was serviced by a garage the last time, and whoever tightened that old filter really cranked it on.

Now that I have the experience, I assume that it'll be easier for me the next time. Plus, I only tightened the oil filter hand-tight like I do all my vehicles; it makes it easier to remove!

I inherited this Jeep from my father-in-law after he died last summer; I've owned it since October. I'm overall happy with it, but it has a few quirks that take getting used to (like an oil/filter change). It does consume more gas than any vehicle that I've owned, but I do like the rumble under my seat from the 3.7 L, 6-cylinder engine. :driver:
If you think a KJ filter is hard to get to try doing a KK filter you just about need an elbow that will bend backwards

2004 3.7 limited

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think a KJ filter is hard to get to try doing a KK filter you just about need an elbow that will bend backwards

2004 3.7 limited

Haven't done an engine oil/filter change on a KK but I know changing the belt tensioner on a KK is a lot harder than on a KJ

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just take the drive belt off when I do an oil change. Takes like 5 seconds, and makes it a lot easier to reach the oil filter from above.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut open the Motorcraft FL400s filter from yesterday's oil change. Looked like it could have gone longer than the 4800 mile OCI. No tears and not super dirty but the housing seems really thin. We'll see how the Wix XP does with the Magnatec.

The Lizard King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut open the Motorcraft FL400s filter from yesterday's oil change. Looked like it could have gone longer than the 4800 mile OCI. No tears and not super dirty but the housing seems really thin. We'll see how the Wix XP does with the Magnatec.

I buy MOPAR oil filters for my '03 KJ.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
KJ: Took it skiing this morning
KL: Took it run errands this afternoon and found a nice snow shovel laying in the road. :D

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Removed stuff from under and around it, except for the 2 pieces of sheetrock it's been holding up so well, so long.

Last edited: