What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine knows a guy that races boats for a living. There is a mesh fabric he uses on his intakes that allows air to pass through but not water. He says it's pricey but used to use it on his open air filters for motorcycles as well. May be able to put a layer of that under the louvers to keep water out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this stuff? http://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric/Marine-Mesh

Nevermind - what I read after all said air and water pass through

Last edited:

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^thx!

Yeah, even though we're precipitation-light here in CO, I can see where louvers would be advantageous. Looks like (2) 18x18" would do the trick for what I have in mind

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool air flows in from the front and hot air vents out the louvers.
with it facing forward, I don't that helps the air flow from the front and through to the louvers.

It's like cooling your PC. one in one out for the air flow.

Last edited:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking that you could be losing out on the windshield defrost support too. Some of our snow storms are ridiculous when trying to keep the windshield clear

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder; how many verified cases of heat-related damage have there been on Liberty's when being pushed beyond factory tested specifications? Hood louvers, along with some other items like "cold air intakes" and fancy filters, feel like so much snake oil. Coming from the SRT-4 world I've seen a lot of snake oil items (even fell for a couple over the years. it happens.) If you're doing it for "looks" that's one thing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I warmed my subway sandwich on the engine during a shotgun shootout event.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I warmed my subway sandwich on the engine during a shotgun shootout event.

They are so stingy with their meat I stopped going there years ago. There's a sub shop/deli here that puts a lot of meat and cheese in their subs and puts them to shame. You need to use both hands to pick it up. You should have used that sub for target practice. Was there any meat in it? Latest report said their chicken was 48% tofu or something and they only give you a couple of paper thin pieces of meat in their subs to boot.

Dave

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool air flows in from the front and hot air vents out the louvers.
with it facing forward, I don't that helps the air flow from the front and through to the louvers.

It's like cooling your PC. one in one out for the air flow.

So I understand what you are saying, and if they don't work in this direction well all I have to do is drill out 8 rivets on each and flip the direction. At the moment it is keeping the engine just a tick cooler, which is just where I wanted it. But the real reason was so that hot air could escape while on the trails. As you aren't doing but like 10-15 mph and I am just trying to get that extra heat a way out of the engine bay.

As for the air flow now with the louvers in this direction, the air comes in from the front and the louvers and would then be forced down the fire wall and out from the bottom towards the back of the engine.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking that you could be losing out on the windshield defrost support too. Some of our snow storms are ridiculous when trying to keep the windshield clear

As for this, I thought about it, but my heater has always run plenty hot in those kinds of snow storms to keep my windows free of ice. In fact I usually have to crack a window it get so warm.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I understand what you are saying, and if they don't work in this direction well all I have to do is drill out 8 rivets on each and flip the direction. At the moment it is keeping the engine just a tick cooler, which is just where I wanted it. But the real reason was so that hot air could escape while on the trails. As you aren't doing but like 10-15 mph and I am just trying to get that extra heat a way out of the engine bay.

As for the air flow now with the louvers in this direction, the air comes in from the front and the louvers and would then be forced down the fire wall and out from the bottom towards the back of the engine.

You want the air coming through the grill area, then with louvers that air has a better way to escape

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those sliders ain't got nuthin on a real RL Super Skinker slider. Where'd the triangulation go? :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ha ha while everyone talking louvers/ engine bay coolers ...
I'm thinking...maybe the KJ hot- is good under the hood!
Now how do I mount one of these?
Muffpot - $40.00 : MUFFPOT, Muffpots, Snowmobile Muffpot, Snowmobile Cooker, **** Pot, Hot Dog Dogger, Hot Pan, Ride it till its hot, Food Warmer, Exhaust Cooker, Stainless Steel Cooker, Muffler Cooker, Sled Cooker, Snowmobile Cooker, Sled Food Cooke
Hot meal on the trail in under 30 minutes? :gr_grin:

Just wrap it good with aluminum foil , works great
Burritos are right tasty after a slow crawl through the woods for 30 minutes or so . Pop the hood grab your burrito, open the cooler and grab some

Latest posts

Members online