What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the 42RLE vs 45RFE?

I am quite happy with how smooth the 42RLE feels. I've only put about 300 miles on it so far but feels crisp and smooth whether upshifting or downshifting. I travel some windy hilly roads everyday and no complaints. Haven't run it with the OD off yet. I'm pretty sure the ****** hasn't been serviced from looking at the underside so I'll probably do that and the Transfer Case soon even though only about 44k. Still, 12 years seems like a long time for ATF+4. I've never been very happy with my 45RFE. But it's tough to compare the 42RLE with my 45RFE since I'm thinking my Torque Converter is getting a bit flaky in the 02. I have the line pressure booster on it too. I could never run the 45RFE with the OD off. Never would shift right.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the 42 in mine...but I've never driven a 45. Actually I had an 03 KJ as a rental back in the day but definitely didn't know to check it out or nonetheless what a Liberty even was.

The reverse in the 42 is a bit highly geared, especially compared to my XJ, KL or LR3.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what it does but when I got my trans rebuilt they added one and a bigger cooler plus some other things. Firms up the shifts a bit, seems to make it feel a bit tighter and smoother, compared to what mine was pre-rebuild. Although how much of that is from just having a new trans is what I wonder. Mine was shifting fine at the end still, just the TC was in the early failure stages.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the Transgo shift kit? I've heard of them but is it a good upgrade?

We put the TF-2 kit into our ancient RV (727 Loadflite). Firmed up the shifts to remove all slippage. That plus the correct torque converter - some idiot had put a Plymouth car converter in it - made it feel like a totally different drivetrain.

I don't know about the kit on the Liberty.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i understand it may feel a bit better at first but then the system adapts to the shift kit and its back to feeling the same

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone successfully captured and recovered their coolant? I need to drain the system and install the block heater, but I did the coolant < 10k miles ago.

pointers and suggestions would be welcome.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what i understand it may feel a bit better at first but then the system adapts to the shift kit and its back to feeling the same

Not sure about the Transgo but I put that Sonnax line pressure booster on my 02 a few years back and it helped and continued to help with shift firmness.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone successfully captured and recovered their coolant? I need to drain the system and install the block heater, but I did the coolant < 10k miles ago.

If you can get the petcock on the radiator to work you can stick a hose on it and catch the coolant in a clean container. I've done this a couple times for various reasons.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did it from the drain plug. mine had one of those quarter turn plugs with a drain pointing down.

Removing the overflow rad cap will help drain it faster too.

used a cheese cloth to filter it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone here suggested straining coolant through ***** hose, which sounds like a good idea.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
started measuring and cutting plywood for storage in the cargo area and some tube for roof rails/rack. Gathered a bunch of hinges and sliding shelf brackets but not sure what ill do yet.

also, cv axles... are the ones from JBA all machined down 1/2" ? and are napa cv axles recommened ?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone here suggested straining coolant through ***** hose, which sounds like a good idea.

That was me. On a rebuilt engine, I drape the ***** hose over the upper radiator hose neck, then put on the upper hose. Catches a bit of crud that way.
Next time though, I'm using the wife's ***** hose, mine are too fancy. :happy175:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her out on the interstate to do a little "real world" tuning, came across this guy. Couldn't help but wonder if that s**t's even legal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also gave it a bath for the first time in months. Now if I could figure out why this thing keeps eating cam sensors I'll be good.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took her out on the interstate to do a little "real world" tuning, came across this guy. Couldn't help but wonder if that s**t's even legal.

Ha, good aerodynamics. Wonder what his MPGs are? :happy175: