What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changed the front axle fluid. couldnt believe all the grease **** on the skid plate! cleaned that up nice. I was going to take some pics but i didnt want Siri to get all dirty & smelly!!

Jacked it up high so I could further inspect my new purchase (that took some time). i might need exhaust clamps & the gaskets.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changed the front axle fluid. couldnt believe all the grease **** on the skid plate! cleaned that up nice. I was going to take some pics but i didnt want Siri to get all dirty & smelly!!

Jacked it up high so I could further inspect my new purchase (that took some time). i might need exhaust clamps & the gaskets.

did you find a bunch of bolt and nuts as well?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Drover her, for the first time in a week. Bought a jug of Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30 and an STP Premium oil filter. (They didn't have the Mopar...) Just for fun I added six NGK plugs and a can of SeaFoam.

Might do all this tomorrow, or I might just go enjoy the day goofing off somewhere. :fishing1:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to SC for 10 days
KJ ran flawlessly the entire way down
Just passed the Ohio River on the way back home after a good 8hrs of driving and the thermostat decides to give out
Temp gauge flew up all the way to "H" and I pulled into a rest area
Turned it off and smoke was coming out of the hood and coolant was boiling and started pouring out of the overflow
Had to have it towed about an hour to my house
Thank God for AAA
I guess that'll be my task for tomorrow
Hopefully that's all it was..
Definitely don't want to overheat that thing again :icon_eek:
Any suggestions on brand of antifreeze and thermostat?
Looking to get the best quality stuff so I don't have to deal with this again

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a while ago the relay in the factory switch for the Renegade light bar shook hands with the ghost and went to the relay boneyard. The switch isn't made anymore so I finally figured out the wiring and then decided I'd go with a Carling rocker switch. But I couldn't end there... The new rear lights I picked up from Rev. Mudd needed a nice switch too... And the IPF driving lights needed something more than the cheesy mouse-style switch that came with them...

So why not do Carling rocker switches for all of them? Picked them up from otrattw.com, then had a tough time finding a brushed aluminum trim piece that didn't have a hole in it for the Rennie light bar. No luck, but did find a sliver-colored one in an '03 at the local Pull-A-Part. Gonna keep looking till I find one - in the meantime I think things turned out OK considering I took off the original aluminum covering and molded it over the sliver painted one. Can see where the light bar switch was in the pic but it's hard to see sitting in the Jeep:

You must be registered for see images

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Went to SC for 10 days
KJ ran flawlessly the entire way down
Just passed the Ohio River on the way back home after a good 8hrs of driving and the thermostat decides to give out
Temp gauge flew up all the way to "H" and I pulled into a rest area
Turned it off and smoke was coming out of the hood and coolant was boiling and started pouring out of the overflow
Had to have it towed about an hour to my house
Thank God for AAA
I guess that'll be my task for tomorrow
Hopefully that's all it was..
Definitely don't want to overheat that thing again :icon_eek:
Any suggestions on brand of antifreeze and thermostat?
Looking to get the best quality stuff so I don't have to deal with this again

Mopar or Zerex G05 coolant only...no universal or Prestone stuff.

Idk on thermostat brands, I think Mopar is the best.

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to my FILs and fixed a few things, then to my husband's reunion, then home.

Ran flawlessly, of course.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar or Zerex G05 coolant only...no universal or Prestone stuff.

Idk on thermostat brands, I think Mopar is the best.

Of course no auto parts stores around me have Mopar brand thermostat
There's a "Failsafe" that costs more than the Duralast brand and it states that it prevents from overheating by automatically locking it open once it gets too hot
Should I get the 50/50 blend Zerex HOAT G05 or regular?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a "Failsafe" that costs more than the Duralast brand and it states that it prevents from overheating by automatically locking it open once it gets too hot

I don't think any auto parts store would have MOPAR parts besides a B&M dealership.

Get full concentrate and mix it yourself with DI water.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

If you can find a name brand one you should be ok. Or if you can figure out who makes what house brand.

Get whichever is the best deal, usually concentrate and do it with DI/distilled water

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to the food store, beer store and gas store.

Nature gave it a wash earlier ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the spark plugs. Had I waited nine days it would have been two years to the day since the last change. The interval was approximately 25,000 miles.

I also changed the oil, since it just felt ookie with the 10W-30 I (mistakenly) put in there about 1,000 miles ago. I kept telling myself that it was OK during the very hot weather we've had this summer, but I was letting it bother me so I did something about it. Note to self: Do not be in a hurry when buying motor oil, especially if you are in a store where people put things back on the wrong shelf.

Then I went fishing. :winner_third_h4h:

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flushed the coolant system and put the new thermostat in
Filled it up with only about 1 1/2 gallons and when the t-stat opens up it doesn't suck down into the rad
When it kicks on it'll drop the level down about 1/2" and then once it shuts off it goes right back up
Any ideas?
I loosed the aluminum bolt to allow the air bubbles to escape and everything
No leaks either
Temp gauge stays at half even when running for about 5 mins and AC turned on periodically

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another day, another trip to the trap range.
out and back, boring style.
discovered it cruises at 100 with no drama. guess all that rework of the front end did something.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another day, another trip to the trap range.
out and back, boring style.
discovered it cruises at 100 with no drama. guess all that rework of the front end did something.

wow.... 100 on the libby??

i couldn't go pass 95.
Also i think the cruise control maxes at 90 or 95.
don't remember from my winter trip to UT.