What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drove to get dinner tonight with the plow still on. suddenly feels like it's nose heavy compared to last year. need to do some measurements I guess. I've been contemplating... anyone ever done a cleavis lift without taking the whole thing apart? what about cutting conduit nuts in half so I only have to slide the strut tube up and use the cut nuts to provide reference?

going to see if my metal working neighbor can get me some scrap 1/2" thick steel plates so I can add weight to the back without using sand bags, which take up a ******** amount of space.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drove to get dinner tonight with the plow still on. suddenly feels like it's nose heavy compared to last year. need to do some measurements I guess. I've been contemplating... anyone ever done a cleavis lift without taking the whole thing apart? what about cutting conduit nuts in half so I only have to slide the strut tube up and use the cut nuts to provide reference?

going to see if my metal working neighbor can get me some scrap 1/2" thick steel plates so I can add weight to the back without using sand bags, which take up a ******** amount of space.

An adapter for the rear hitch would be nice that you could slide weight plates onto.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supercharged my interior lighting. Only thing I can say, they're bright as f**k. I managed to find the right wiring combo to get rid of the led "glow"
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my G870a on 38's

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Having several 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights sitting around most any time, I always think of lead ballast. Takes up even less space than steel plate. Had an old houseboat that had had extensive (tasteful, well thought out) modernizing that caused a list to port. Previous owner had piled up limestone rock in the steel hull to compensate. Naturally I had to go to a junk shop and get an old cast iron skillet. A few 10"diaX 1 1/2" thick lead weights replaced a LOT of rock.

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so lead is 50% heavier than steel. (from what I'm reading)
however where the hell am I going to get about half a cubic foot of lead? and isn't that going to be toxic when I have to handle it, or keep it in the trunk?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having several 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights sitting around most any time, I always think of lead ballast. Takes up even less space than steel plate. Had an old houseboat that had had extensive (tasteful, well thought out) modernizing that caused a list to port. Previous owner had piled up limestone rock in the steel hull to compensate. Naturally I had to go to a junk shop and get an old cast iron skillet. A few 10"diaX 1 1/2" thick lead weights replaced a LOT of rock.

Bob

I'd say find some lead too. Back when I cast my own bullets I'd put a couple of small pails of lead ingots in the back of my old Ford Granada. Was either that or a couple old cast iron radiators :icon_lol:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking I have an oil leak, noticed a lot of oil on the filter, was able to turn it a little bit to tighten up, also noticed oil around the front of the block where the water pump is...... Since I have had to put a quart of oil in it now over this past month..... Not wondering if something needs to be tightened down.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
however where the hell am I going to get about half a cubic foot of lead? and isn't that going to be toxic when I have to handle it, or keep it in the trunk?

If you know any guys that are linemen in the telephone business... or any nuclear technicians (I used to be one haha). It is toxic but if you wear gloves you will be fine. I have been handling it for years. My father has large sheets of it for the back of his F-350 for winter.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lead is toxic ingested in relatively large quantities and especially in children or early in development. You probably heard stories of lead paint and China made miniblinds. You could get wheel weights as Bob mentioned I believe they are now encapsulated in plastic. If you do score some plain stuff just put it in a container so you don't have to handle it. Alternatively just load up with gold or silver :gr_grin:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking I have an oil leak, noticed a lot of oil on the filter, was able to turn it a little bit to tighten up, also noticed oil around the front of the block where the water pump is...... Since I have had to put a quart of oil in it now over this past month..... Not wondering if something needs to be tightened down.

Below the water pump and at the bottom of the engine? Crank seal maybe? Higher up maybe "valve" cover? Oil pressure sender?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

buy a bunch of BBs.
If you're worried about the toxicity, you can go with getting a whole lot of pennies.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below the water pump and at the bottom of the engine? Crank seal maybe? Higher up maybe "valve" cover? Oil pressure sender?

Oil filter was covered, but its up top around the water pump, I scoured both valve covers and not a drop there. Its just stupidly WEIRD. I noticed since I got this new water pump it now makes a ''tich tich tich'' noise at idle not like a lifter tick or the injectors clicking.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is weird.

I recently went hunting for an apparent oil "leak" on the wife's car. pan was covered, back of the block was all wet, frame rail down the passenger side, even the trans had a coating.
It looked like it could be any of these...
rear main seal
front main seal
rear valve cover gasket
driver's side axle seal on the diff

After MUCH investigatory work (including almost pulling the valve cover gasket... what a ***** of a job btw) I figured it out... it's the drain plug. After religiously changing the oil for the last 100k miles, the gasket on the plug has failed.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here????

Even with a 3" drop the spare had to come off to hook it up. Then the thing was "twitchy" as hell going down the road. With only two wheels on the trailer when it began to rock back and forth a bit on the uneven pavement the Liberty rocked with it. Couldn't imagine what it would drive like with a real load on it - trailer only had 500 pounds on it. Top speed was 55 MPH. With the little light transmission the Liberty has I made it a rule to never tow with it but thought I would try it since this "load" didn't amount to anything and I wanted to make sure the new trailer lights I added (because of the free trailer hitch) actually worked.

I tow over 7000 pounds while carrying 2500 pounds with my pickup all the time - the little two wheel trailer with 500 pounds was similar.......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with a 3" drop the spare had to come off to hook it up. Then the thing was "twitchy" as hell going down the road. With only two wheels on the trailer when it began to rock back and forth a bit on the uneven pavement the Liberty rocked with it. Couldn't imagine what it would drive like with a real load on it - trailer only had 500 pounds on it. Top speed was 55 MPH. With the little light transmission the Liberty has I made it a rule to never tow with it but thought I would try it since this "load" didn't amount to anything and I wanted to make sure the new trailer lights I added (because of the free trailer hitch) actually worked.

I tow over 7000 pounds while carrying 2500 pounds with my pickup all the time - the little two wheel trailer with 500 pounds was similar.......
Loaded wrong or something . I never have any issues with anything I have towed and have done so many many miles . If it was going back and forth then , loaded wrong, springs bad, axle not in straight or something like that

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loaded wrong or something . I never have any issues with anything I have towed and have done so many many miles . If it was going back and forth then , loaded wrong, springs bad, axle not in straight or something like that

Same trailer that gets taken on 5 hour road trips on a regular basis. As for "loaded wrong" how do you incorrectly load 12' beams on a 12' trailer - unless you put them on sideways? I figure the spare tire placement is just a way for Dodge designers to tell the owner this vehicle isn't for towing.

Latest posts

Members online