What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same trailer that gets taken on 5 hour road trips on a regular basis. As for "loaded wrong" how do you incorrectly load 12' beams on a 12' trailer - unless you put them on sideways? I figure the spare tire placement is just a way for Dodge designers to tell the owner this vehicle isn't for towing.

I find this odd. Towing my waverunner is a walk in the park. Like nothing is behind it.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how much lift your running but.... On my utility trailer it required a 6" or 8" drop for the trailer to be towed level. 6" with kk hitch on kj and 8" with RL bumper. Was your trailer level?

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know how much lift your running but.... On my utility trailer it required a 6" or 8" drop for the trailer to be towed level. 6" with kk hitch on kj and 8" with RL bumper. Was your trailer level?

Liberty has 0 lift, trailer was level - if anything slightly down in the front, its normally pulled by full size pickups with receiver hitches and the hitch is set to their height. Even if it wasn't with that little bit of weight it shouldn't matter. Stock suspension that while its seems to be in OK condition for just the Liberty - loads and towing just aren't its thing. What I'm surprised by is how squirrelly it acts under any kind of load that lowers the back. I thought I'd try it once and now I know, that's why I own other vehicles that can haul and tow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Something wrong suspension wise, worn out springs/ shocks/ rear LCAs etc . NOTHING wrong with towing a trailer at all
I tow this 5 X 8 with two 18 inch side boards loaded/ stacked with firewood over 150 miles at 70 plus no issues at all. My 6X10 enclosed I have towed 1000s of miles all over the eastern part of the US with no issues , thats with it stuffed to the gills
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Liberty has 0 lift, trailer was level - if anything slightly down in the front, its normally pulled by full size pickups with receiver hitches and the hitch is set to their height. Even if it wasn't with that little bit of weight it shouldn't matter. Stock suspension that while its seems to be in OK condition for just the Liberty - loads and towing just aren't its thing. What I'm surprised by is how squirrelly it acts under any kind of load that lowers the back. I thought I'd try it once and now I know, that's why I own other vehicles that can haul and tow.

If down in the front enough that can cause issues along with what I posted above

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that trailer tows properly with other vehicles, there's most likely something wrong with Jeep's suspension. Definitely something wrong with one or the other.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If that trailer tows properly with other vehicles, there's most likely something wrong with Jeep's suspension. Definitely something wrong with one or the other.

Bob

My thoughts as well, weak suspension combined with possibly somewhat worn LCAs in the rear would make it do it

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the rear seat headrests so I could fold the rear seats down and put a sticker in the back window.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

Agreed - its a suspension problem. I just need to remember it's a grocery getter and forget about it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the KJ a surprisingly good tow vehicle. I tow my boat all over the place here in NE Ohio - and take it to the mountains of Tennessee at least once a year. And those mountain pulls can be brutal but the Libby keeps going.

I also have a utility trailer that gets overloaded (!) a couple of times a year too. And when I moved my son to Nashville this U-haul trailer was filled to the back door with his stuff, plus the cargo area in the Jeep was full. Was it heavy? Yep. Was I careful? Yep. But it didn't act strangely or wander - in fact it was a good trip. My wife rode with me and she was doubtful the Jeep could handle the trailer but was as happy with the trip as I was.

On top of it we left in a snowstorm - other drivers were much more a worry than the trailer behind the KJ.

You must be registered for see images

Bob

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
libertys tow just fine.
cardhu-albums-smokercraft-171-pro-angler-picture4427-jeepboat.jpg

Thats atleast 2500 lbs wet. probably little more then 10% tongue weight. Towed 700 km home.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the rear seat headrests so I could fold the rear seats down and put a sticker in the back window.

Why did you have to fold the rear seats down to put a sticker on the back window? :happy175:
I know what you meant... I believe this (,) may have fallen off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why did you have to fold the rear seats down to put a sticker on the back window? :happy175:

Now come on, he had to remove the head rests so that he could crawl over the back seat to put the sticker on the inside of the back window, duh.........:shrug:

:happy175::icon_lol::ROFLJest:

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is a distinct possibility

Now come on, he had to remove the head rests so that he could crawl over the back seat to put the sticker on the inside of the back window, duh.....

Nope - the sticker went on the outside. With the tinted rear window I could not use the inside type sticker so I had to use the decal type.

I have to fold the seat down because I have so much tackle I need all the room I can get.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now come on, he had to remove the head rests so that he could crawl over the back seat to put the sticker on the inside of the back window, duh.........:shrug:

:happy175::icon_lol::ROFLJest:

Yeah, that's what I figured he did.... the first tuna half times I read it. :happy175:

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may remove the rear seat cushion so I can get the seat backs to fold down flat to give me even more room. Has any one ever done that?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I may remove the rear seat cushion so I can get the seat backs to fold down flat to give me even more room. Has any one ever done that?

With the way its all bolted together would be hard to do.
I mean if you never wanted to haul any one back there just be easier to remove the whole backseat and do a flat platform
I made one for mine several years ago that worked great

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the way its all bolted together would be hard to do.
I mean if you never wanted to haul any one back there just be easier to remove the whole backseat and do a flat platform
I made one for mine several years ago that worked great

I didn't know if I could just pop the cushion out the way you could in the older sedans. I may look into what it would take to do. I drove a Ford Ranger for years (still have it) and never needed to carry more than one other person so I guess I could do without a back seat.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't know if I could just pop the cushion out the way you could in the older sedans. I may look into what it would take to do. I drove a Ford Ranger for years (still have it) and never needed to carry more than one other person so I guess I could do without a back seat.

If you need I have a couple of rear seats that I could take pictures of. They are all connected together, no just removing the bottom cushion, plus if you did would be nothing to support the back of the seat

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.